Howard Shore Documentary - Use Well The Days

TownerFan

Yeah, its great to hear Shore talk about his work naturally. But in that case (the LOTR symphony DVD), he didn't sound too happy or excited about doing the DVD.

That came with one of the extended editions, right?

With TTT iirc.

Nah, there really isnt much for a conductor to interpret with film scores. The tempo is decided by the film itself after all.

If conductors were just glorified metronomes, we wouldn't need conductors.

Doesn't help that Shore was reading off of some script like a lifeless robot.

Yeah poor Shore. I think it was rather painful to watch the first time I saw that bonus DVD but hey at least he got to present his own music. Even though not in the most liveliest manner.

Am I the only one who doesn't think DOS sounds all that different from AUJ?

I don't hear much of a difference myself. AUJ is "louder" alright but aside from that it's fine. There are new styles and themes we've never heard from Middle-Earth before but it all fits for me. If it hadn't been printed on the front cover I'd never have known there was a change in the way the music for DOS was handled.

• 1 year later...
On 8/25/2010 at 6:07 PM, Jim Ware said:

There is a longer version of this documentary. I don't know when (or if) it will see the light of day, but it's well worth watching!

@Jim Ware any idea how we plebes can see this longer version?

8 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Yes, I'd love to see more footage of the sessions especially.

Seconded!

17 hours ago, Jay said:

@Jim Ware any idea how we plebes can see this longer version?

Sadly no.  It has only been screened once (2009 in New York) and hasn't been seen since.  I believe the original intention was to include it with the Rarities had they been DVD based.

OK, I've had it. I'm finally getting a time machine and will go back to 2004-05 and smack some sense in these peoples' heads. Were they thinking, while drinking, that we would not cherish every single morsel of music that could be unearthed and presented for the CRs and RA? And now this...THEY ALREADY HAD A DVD TO PUT THE ENTIRE MAKING-OF ON, SEVEN YEARS BEFORE THE RA CAME OUT! Can I still put the blame on Conrad Pope, somehow?

I mean, what the blazin' daisies?!? And what, pray tell, are YOUR sources for all of this, young Master Ware? It's awfully tempting to come over to London and riffle through your documentation, tbqh... Or I'm gonna send you my doctors' bills for these continuing aneurysms you are causing me!

A good weekend to all! :)

4 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Sadly no.  It has only been screened once (2009 in New York) and hasn't been seen since.  I believe the original intention was to include it with the Rarities had they been DVD based.

Hey I was in New York in 2009, to see Fellowship Live To Projection at Radio City Music Hall. Was this doc shown somewhere in connection to that?

Correct, yes, I went to the RCMH Fellowship concert  in Oct 2009 and the Two Towers one in Oct 2010. Was so sad the planned ROTK concert never happened :( I've still never seen ROTK live (I missed the Lincoln Center ones last year)

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2010 at 10:36 PM, TownerFan said:

I don't know if it was already mentioned elsewhere, but I found on YouTube this short documentary on Howard Shore during the making of the Return of the King score:

It's directed by Elizabeth Cotnoir (Shore's wife) and it's indeed a lovely portrait of a film composer at work.

I love re-watching this documentary. Such great intimate insights, and Shore feels so comfortable and casual in it. I love PJ joking about not winning the battle or the war. And Shore playing with an action figure. Plus a nice little 'where they began' moment at 7:54 in part 2, when you see Steven Price, now an Oscar winner, working behind the scenes all those years ago. Nice little callback.