John Williams confirms he's scoring Star Wars Episode VIII at Tanglewood Film Night

Tom

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, crumbs said:

He again told the story about secretly wanting nobody else to score music for Daisy.

Also mentioned he's hoping to finally find out who her parents are after he sees the first cut.

I think the bit about he not wanting anyone else to compose for Daisy confused the audience.  They did not really applause when he announced episode VIII.  Clearly they would have had they understood. 

No, but Williams' rhetoric up until now has been "I hope to do it," "If I can I will" etc

This is the first time he's given a definitive yes and on top of that he'll be seeing the movie very soon and can start thinking about it, if not actually composing yet. That's the exciting part.

1 hour ago, zoltan_902 said:

Fantastic. Now he needs to haul himself back to London for the recording, where it belongs.

To be honest, I prefer the sound of TFA to the prequels in terms of the drier sound mix, the over-mic'ed brass, and the overall sound of the LA musicians. I want JW to stick with them.

One exciting takeaway from Williams scoring Episode VIII is that it shows that his commitment to this trilogy extends beyond just scoring the first movie. He wasn't just trying to get the trilogy off on the right foot musically with Episode VII and then say farewell to the saga, but rather he intends to score all three films if he's able to; a very exciting prospect. 

I'm surprised he's getting involved so early in the process. The shooting wrapped a month ago, Even with a few more extra weeks, will he have anything substancial to start to work with? I rekcon he'll probably start writing new themes and perhaps music for the trailer, and then later on see a more definitive cut and start scoring the finished scenes

1 minute ago, Romão said:

I'm surprised he's getting involved so early in the process. The shooting wrapped a month ago, Even with a few more extra weeks, will he have anything substancial to start to work with? I rekcon he'll probably start writing new themes and perhaps music for the trailer, and then later on see a more definitive cut and start scoring the finished scenes

Guessing he'll watch a rough assembly of the film in late September and spend the rest of the year writing the new themes, then present them to Rian before Christmas. Presumably he'll take a break over Christmas then start the score proper in 2017 when there's a more definitive cut of the movie.

Not sure how RPO in November fits into the schedule. Maybe he intends to replicate the original plan for TFA/Bridge of Spies?

September/October - SW: VIII Themes

November/December/January - RPO Score

February onwards - SW: VIII Score?

What an exciting few months ahead!

19 minutes ago, Romão said:

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Guessing he'll watch a rough assembly of the film in late September and spend the rest of the year writing the new themes, then present them to Rian before Christmas. Presumably he'll take a break over Christmas then start the score proper in 2017 when there's a more definitive cut of the movie.

Probably also just an excuse for him and Rian Johnson to meet if they haven't already.

Still couldn't care less about the LSO vs LA thing. I guess my issue with it now would be that when they said goodbye to the LSO for VII it was an unfortunate break from tradition but necessary given the circumstances, whereas going back now would seem like a snub to the LA peeps. Especially since it's surely more convenient all-around for them to stay in California, anyway.

VIII will almost certainly be the LA freelance orchestra again.

I'd take an LA Star Wars score by John Williams over an LSO score by someone else every day of the week. Their performances on TFA were superb.

TFA sounded great, but I'd still have the LSO doing Star Wars if I could. TESB and RotJ sound like film scoring forces of nature. Coupled with the recording, in the case of Star Wars performance aesthetic it is comparing dexterous digital to cathedralic analogue, and the latter always wins. 

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

No matter which orchestra is chosen, I hope a new recording for the main title is made.  The opening note is one of the few weaknesses of the Hollywood orchestra's performance.  

I guess the prequels set a strange precedent there, but I reckon they'll re-record them for each film this time.

I don't imagine Mr. Johnson would be too pleased about experiencing his own Star Wars scoring sessions but never hearing the Main Titles!

1 hour ago, alextrombone94 said:

Desplat will most likely use the LSO (hopefully) for Rogue One so their involvement in Star Wars is not over

I'd prefer him to go to Berlin, where the real orchestra lives.

Excellent news, but hardly surprising, given the signals he's been sending out over the last few months (the Daisy story and such).

At the last concert he was already mulling "what to write next" for Rey. I'd say he made the decision months ago, but this was the most overt comment about actually preparing himself to score the film, rather than the vague comments over the last few months.

As for the LSO, Desplat has worked with them on quite a few scores so I wouldn't be surprised if they did Rogue One. Not a bad consolation prize if they still get to score the Anthology films; I'm sure they respect and understand that Williams' age precludes him from scoring in London these days.

I still think Disney has enough money to provide a private jet for Williams back and forth to London -- making it so comfortable that even a man in his mid 80s can deal with the, what, 6-7 hours flight (not that much further than the constant cross-US trips he makes these days)? If Morricone managed last year (with the Oscars) -- including the jetlag -- then I'm sure Williams could do it.

Morricone still jets around the world, but I imagine it's just easier for JW to stay in the US where the studio is practically on his door step 

The long separated recording schedule was also an issue as the LSO can't be available for that length of time. 

The fact that Williams is viewing a rough cut well over a year before the film is actually released suggests that he will probably write episode 8 over an extended period of time as well. It could be that he enjoyed the lengthy process of TFA.

8 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

So it looks like he's starting this and Ready Player One this fall.  

I think he's just seeing a rough cut this fall to get on board the project and begin "writing" in the back of his mind, but he'll actually write and record Ready Player One before beginning real work on Ep 8.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

The fact that Williams is viewing a rough cut well over a year before the film is actually released suggests that he will probably write episode 8 over an extended period of time as well. It could be that he enjoyed the lengthy process of TFA.

Yep, I found his comments interesting about the TFA writing process. I was concerned he'd get exhausted writing so many revisions for the same film over that length of time, but he described the schedule Disney afforded him as "luxurious," so maybe he's asked Kennedy if he could have that again?

It would make sense for him to knock off RPO then focus solely on VIII next year (with KOEM in October/November).