John Williams confirms he's scoring Star Wars Episode VIII at Tanglewood Film Night

Tom

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Simon R. said:

Funny how it seems so many people thinks it's Williams (or any other composer for that matter) who decides if he "wants to" score the next SW/HP movie. Obviously that decision lies with the director and producers.

That's true in theory, but if any director or producer gets a whiff of Williams being interested in their project, the likelihood of them turning him down is....well, almost non-existant.

In truth, Williams can pick and choose whatever he likes, and most directors or producers would comply (like with THE BOOK THIEF).

Just now, mrbellamy said:

If there's not enough Daisy in the movie, though, all bets are off.

Haha, it would be hilarious if JW saw it and decided he didn't like the direction they took with Rey and turned down the film :P

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's true in theory, but if any director or producer gets a whiff of Williams being interested in their project, the likelihood of them turning him down is....well, almost non-existant.

In truth, Williams can pick and choose whatever he likes, and most directors or producers would comply (like with THE BOOK THIEF).

I very very much doubt that. Actually let me rephrase that. I am absolutely POSITIVE that this is not the case.

Because - there are so many movies today that wouldn't work with a JW score, so the notion that every director and producer are begging John to score their movies is very far from reality.

Just now, Thor said:

In truth, Williams can pick and choose whatever he likes, and most directors or producers would apply (like with THE BOOK THIEF).

Also we already know that Kennedy wants him back. Her initial announcement in 2013 was that he was doing the whole trilogy, which tells us that even if he doesn't end up doing them all, that's certainly been the idea in her head from the start. So his continuation with Star Wars is really up to him. Nobody's saying that this is the case with every single project and composer....

5 minutes ago, Simon R. said:

I very very much doubt that. Actually let me rephrase that. I am absolutely POSITIVE that this is not the case.

Because - there are so many movies today that wouldn't work with a JW score, so the notion that every director and producer are begging John to score their movies is very far from reality.

I'm obviously talking about films where a Williams-style score is called for (and especially within Hollywood). The notion that someone like Lars von Trier would be interested in having Williams score his movies, is obviously a farfetched notion.

It was just a weird argument to bring up because Simon was ignoring the fact that the producer has already offered Williams this project. Every composer has the right to turn stuff down they don't want to do.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm obviously talking about films where a Williams-style score is called for (and especially within Hollywood). The notion that someone like Lars von Trier would be interested in having Williams score his movies, is obviously a farfetched notion.

OK we seem to agree then:) My point is also that the kind of movies where a JW score would be fitting is significantly lower than in the 70's, 80's, 90's. So I am thankful he was at the right place at the right time most of his career. Everything JW we get now is just an added bonus.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

So yeah, anything about him actually writing the score this year is pure speculation. Also who even knows how immediate "a few weeks" is, really, could be this month, next month, maybe not even until October. But it's nice to know they're all still planning on it.

If there's not enough Daisy in the movie, though, all bets are off.

THANK YOU!

Relevant:

So yeah, if Williams is accurate that he's seeing it in just a few weeks, then it's certainly bound to be very rough and not ready for scoring.

By the way, some comments from Johnson on his scoring process (from around 2008). Dunno how much can be taken from this since we don't know if VIII will be different, but interesting to get his thoughts and he does say that he liked to bring in Nathan Johnson once they had a rough cut together and start putting music to it as soon as possible. So I wonder if we'll be getting a similar process to VII, with lots of revisions and several recording sessions spread out.

Williams style is the worst when it comes to modern editing process. I mean, when I watch this video and hear something like " I keep changing the scenes while he's trying to score them" it really bothers me. Williams music is not easily edited and cut in post production than let's say something less sophisticated. I really hope they gave williams time to make music that perfectly fit the final cut. I know it's not always possible but it's the only way to let musical ideas and themes to fully accomplish themselves on the screen. I think this process is part of why some people were desapointed with TFA.Imagine a Star Wars made By Spielberg with picture lock well ahead of the release ! Well, I guess it's part of the modern process to never be really satisfied with your movie that you have to change it till the last moment.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Even TFA ended up with microedits after god knows how many versions of each cue Williams wrote, and that was directed by a JW fanboy. Who knows what happened to The Falcon chase between October and December, but the cue ended up a mess.

Hopefully Johnson isn't quite the micromanaging tinkerer Abrams was. I've got a great feeling about this film.

What's actually tragic about that scene is for all the fanboy lip-service Abbrams paid to whiny OT "purist" Star Wars fans, he F-ed up the sound of the Falcon's guns. And it makes no sense at all.

The turrets might have just been upgraded in the 30 years between trilogies. They just sound like generic gunfire in the original film, and the sound quality is average at best; JJ made the right decision to overhaul them and give them some oomph.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

The turrets might have just been upgraded in the 30 years between trilogies. 

Indeed.

That interview with Johnson is great; I'll have to give it a complete listen but his comments about scoring have me excited for his collaboration with JW.

When I'm writing, I definitely have a type of music that I'm listening to... and that ends up shaping the writing and just forming the world you're going to be creating... But I start working with [Nathan Johnson] once I start getting the rough cut together. So I'll throw him rough versions of scenes and he'll throw me back musical ideas. We'll go through and spot the entire movie, work out in detail where the music comes in and what it's accomplishing and then start kicking stuff back and forth. So the editing process and the composing process, for us at least, kind of work together in this strange way. Which is probably frustrating for Nathan because I keep changing the scenes while he's scoring to them, kind of like hitting a moving target. So they both kind of evolve together to a certain extent.

But fundamentally for me, in terms of score, you get the scene working first, editing wise. Then the score comes in and supports it. It's not very often I'll actually cut a scene based on scored music. It's usually getting the scene cut so that it works, then getting the music to fit around that scene.

I'm curious reading that last paragraph. Great to know he's not a fan of temp tracking, then I started wondering if TFA was temped. Did any of JJ's editors ever talk about it? I'm a much bigger fan of Johnson's approach, because it ensures the material is dramatically strong without relying on the music to do the work for him; if the drama is effective, it should work with and without the music (sound familiar to anyone?).

He seems happy to adjust the edit after hearing the music, which bodes well for JW. As much as I like TFA's score, I don't feel the film offered many chances for the music to "breathe" after the first act. 

So VIII might be another revision heavy film, which could explain why JW's involved so early. Assuming, of course, Rian wishes to emulate the process with his usual composer.

Of course it's notable that Rian and Nathan are friends and contemporaries whereas he will probably have a very different working relationship with JW because of their differences in age, experience, and habits (between JW and both Rian and Nathan).  Nathan is the only composer Rian has worked with at this point and Nathan's background couldn't be more different from Williams'.

43 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Then I started wondering if TFA was temped. Did any of JJ's editors ever talk about it?

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/03/star-wars-the-force-awakens-editorial-process-broken-down/

4) J.J. also when editing likes to have sound as close as final as possible (temp music, etc).

5) Bad Robot used John Williams’ music editor and Williams’ old music for the temp music since the score has not yet been recorded.

Just now, Will said:

Thanks Will. I'm assuming the version they showed Williams didn't actually have the temp track though.

And no guesses for what track they temped for Rey igniting the lightsaber! :P

It'd be interesting to know if composers find it more or less annoying when directors temp an edit with their own music.  It's kind of like how some venerable actors hate it when screenwriters write roles specifically for them because they feel like they're being boxed in based on their past work.

From everything Williams has said about refusing to read scripts so he can experience the film "raw" and discover the emotional beats on his own, he would surely hate it.

I think some composers like it though, especially if the director isn't knowledgeable in musical language or can't convey scoring requests without examples of the music they want. Makes it easier to get everyone on the same page.

But as Johnson says, the scene really should stand on its own without requiring music to smooth over the cracks.

55 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It'd be interesting to know if composers find it more or less annoying when directors temp an edit with their own music.  It's kind of like how some venerable actors hate it when screenwriters write roles specifically for them because they feel like they're being boxed in based on their past work.

I think Alan Silvestri put it best when he said something along the lines of the temp-track being a double edged sword. It can be a great tool in a good composer's hands, but it could as easily become a burden.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Of course it's notable that Rian and Nathan are friends and contemporaries whereas he will probably have a very different working relationship with JW because of their differences in age, experience, and habits (between JW and both Rian and Nathan).  Nathan is the only composer Rian has worked with at this point and Nathan's background couldn't be more different from Williams'.

Cousins I think.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

What did the Johnsons promise JW? Their hearts? Give him their hearts.

Even better! An unlimited supply of moisturising day cream, for healthy, hydrated and radiant skin.

DE_24_hour_Day_Cream_Normal_Image%255B1%

On 8/14/2016 at 10:27 AM, Tom said:

I realize it a huge longshot, but maybe everything is going faster than expected, and they are again aiming for a May release. 

The Force Awakens was a box-office powerhouse in a month that SW fans cried foul on (the whiners claiming that "Star Wars belongs in summertime!"). So Disney opted to give Episode VIII the same release spot, and I don't blame them.

I'm sure the film will be completed by next summer anyway.

12 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that Williams will be scoring a Rian Johnson film. 

When it comes to SW, these directors are working on a Williams picture, not vice versa.

9 minutes ago, Matt C said:

The Force Awakens was a box-office powerhouse in a month that SW fans cried foul on (the whiners claiming that "Star Wars belongs in summertime!"). So Disney opted to give Episode VIII the same release spot, and I don't blame them.

I'm sure the film will be completed by next summer anyway.

VIII was originally a May release.  It was pushed back due to a last minute rewrite of the script (evidently, to expand upon the VII character arcs). 

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

VIII was originally a May release.  It was pushed back due to a last minute rewrite of the script (evidently, to expand upon the VII character arcs). 

I personally think it was also pushed back because Disney got smart and realized it was supremely stupid to schedule Star Wars VIII and Guardians 2 in the same month.  Idiots!

31 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that Williams will be scoring a Rian Johnson film. 

Same.  I'm really curious what kind of score Johnson will ask Williams to write, how close it will stick to the Star Wars/Williams mold.  

Definitely expecting/hoping for a new direction with Johnson. TFA is great but fairly straightforward in a lot of ways for Williams. I'd like to hear more weirdness brought back into Star Wars music, whatever that would end up meaning. 

27 minutes ago, Tom said:

Didn't VIII pretty much follow the same production schedule that it was always going to have? Maybe delayed by a month or so? 

If they really wanted to make a May release, I'm pretty sure they could do it, but why bother when Disney's got a crowded summer and December works just as well? Plus for us it gives Williams plenty of time to do it and the Spielberg stuff too.

39 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

What is that supposed to mean?

It means there is a 0 percent chance Williams score can be rejected.  The director is at his mercy, so to speak. 

29 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Definitely expecting/hoping for a new direction with Johnson. TFA is great but fairly straightforward in a lot of ways for Williams. I'd like to hear more weirdness brought back into Star Wars music, whatever that would end up meaning. 

Didn't VIII pretty much follow the same production schedule that it was always going to have? Maybe delayed by a month or so? 

If they really wanted to make a May release, I'm pretty sure they could do it, but why bother when Disney's got a crowded summer and December works just as well? Plus for us it gives Williams plenty of time to do it and the Spielberg stuff too.

here is the Variety article: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-episode-viii-release-date-1201684136/

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Which gives no reason for the delay.

As far as I know, anything about the release date being changed due to a rewrite was speculation. TFA, however, was definitely pushed to give JJ/Kasdan more time.

23 minutes ago, Tom said:

It means there is a 0 percent chance Williams score can be rejected.  The director is at his mercy, so to speak. 

I think John would be appalled to see it put thusly.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

When it comes to SW, these directors are working on a Williams picture, not vice versa.

Episode VIII was not pushed to December 2017 due to script rewrites, they want to repeat TFA's success during Christmas and New Year's. It began filming on schedule -- albeit a month behind. For a major studio like Disney, that's not a huge roadblock to earn a seven month delay.

Disney hit a sweet spot with TFA with the same release weekend Titanic and Avatar did, which they're using for Rogue One and VIII. TFA's domestic haul is a whopping $936 million, and $2 billion worldwide. Why release Episode VIII in a crowded summer and make $1 billion when you can earn $2 billion in December?

No, Kennedy is likely the ultimate power on these films.  There is a vision, and whoever is directing, whoever is composing, is beholden to that vision.  No need to aggrandize Williams' role.  That only serves to cheapen his real legacy.