Non-Howard Shore Lord of the Rings Music

Simon McBride

Apart from Shore's scores, the other significant The Lord of the Rings music that I'm familiar with are Leonard Rosenman's score for the Ralph Bakshi film and Stephen Oliver's for the BBC Radio adaptation. (Haven't been able to find any good examples of the latter online right now.)

I'm not familiar with any non-Shore Tolkien music, other than having seen the three cartoons from the 70s and 80s

The 4 discs of the Tolkien Ensemble spanning all or nearly all of the poetry found in the Lord of the Rings, featuring songs for soloists, chorus and instrumental pieces. Each singer is also given a character or characters whose voice they represent throughout the four CDs.

An Evening in Rivendell (1997)

A Night in Rivendell (2000)

At Dawn in Rivendell  (2002)

Leaving Rivendell (2005)

Some samples:

On 8/14/2016 at 2:30 PM, SafeUnderHill said:

I See Fire is a great song.

The only good Ed Sheeran song.

I just heard a cover of it by a female vocalist playing over the soundsystem in a coffee shop the other day.

This one:

On 8/14/2016 at 3:26 PM, tannhauser said:

Any thoughts on Donald Swanns song-cycle The Road Goes Ever On? I'm singing it in a concert later this month :)

I bought it a few months ago. I just play/sing it for fun, and that's okay cause I'm not that good. I can't seem to get into Errantry, but that's just because I can't play it or sing it. Just above my skill level. Love it though. I like to study the notes in the back too.

10 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I bought it a few months ago. I just play/sing it for fun, and that's okay cause I'm not that good. I can't seem to get into Errantry, but that's just because I can't play it or sing it. Just above my skill level. Love it though. I like to study the notes in the back too.

Errantry is wonderful.  Such colourful and descriptive piano writing.  However I agree that it is quite a tour-de-force to sing and play!  Bilbo's Last Song is wonderful too - there's a very beautiful recording by baritone Roderick Williams on a record called "Classic Children's Songs", which also includes Namarie.

7 hours ago, tannhauser said:

Errantry is wonderful.  Such colourful and descriptive piano writing.  However I agree that it is quite a tour-de-force to sing and play!  Bilbo's Last Song is wonderful too - there's a very beautiful recording by baritone Roderick Williams on a record called "Classic Children's Songs", which also includes Namarie.

I don't have the version with Bilbo's Last Song. :( It's fine though!