Hidden Musical Quote in Indiana Jones Theme

i the t

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

Share your qoute, and gain strength from the sharing!

Raiders of the Lost Ark is better than everything!

Oh my God, that is so obvious! When Williams sat down to write theme for Indiana Jones, he pulled out his favourite film from the archives -- CALAMITY JANE -- then deconstructed the theme and decided to put a fragment of it into his theme!

In all seriousness, I can't hear anything in that tune that resembles anything in the Indy theme. A time code comparison would help me to understand what you mean.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

In all seriousness, I can't hear anything in that tune that resembles anything in the Indy theme. A time code comparison would help me to understand what you mean.

Listen to the "Whip crackaway" from 1:20.

Now listen to 0:48 from the Indy theme.

The rhythm is identical.

I would say that, if anything, it's an in-joke. It could be subconscious referral, although that is quite a specific rhythm. It could even just be coincidence, lol.

3 hours ago, Jilal said:

I don't quite know why and I'm very sorry if this is offensive to some here, but I really can't bear any form of musical theatre. It all just feels like a third-rate comedy taking itself way too seriously.

Too seriously? I get the opposite impression from most musicals I've been to! :lol:

1 hour ago, loert said:

Listen to the "Whip crackaway" from 1:20.

Now listen to 0:48 from the Indy theme.

The rhythm is identical.

Also the melody is virtually identical. It has the same interval of a major 6th. This is later developed as a melodic sequence in the JW version (shifted down).

It could indeed be a coincidence but I think there's certainly enough meat on the bone to warrant postulation about it...

5 minutes ago, i the t said:

Also the melody is virtually identical. It has the same interval of a major 6th. This is later developed as a melodic sequence in the JW version (shifted down).

It could indeed be a coincidence but I think there's certainly enough meat on the bone to warrant postulation about it...

Could be a coincidence?

Christ almighty....

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Could be a coincidence?

Christ almighty....

Christ's probably not gonna help you with this one I'm afraid...

The whip reference, the identical rhythm and virtually identical melody offer evidence it is a quote (be it conscious or subconscious).

You on the other hand, appear to offer little more than petulant, unsubstantiated denial...

7 minutes ago, karelm said:

Is this the official ComposerTY's birthday thread?  Happy birthday to him and all he accomplished in the past 29 years.  He deserves our praise.

ROTFLMAO

1 hour ago, i the t said:

Also the melody is virtually identical. It has the same interval of a major 6th.

There's no major 6th here... In the Calamity Jane song the 1 & a 2 rhythmic cell is a single note, C, whereas in Raiders it's a descending fifth, a descending semitone and a ascending semitone, encompassing the span of a minor 6th.

I prefer Williams' own take on the old western musical genre, like the infectious opening song "Golden West" from WAGON TRAIN here (be sure also to catch the vocal version of "Tomorrow" at 27:30):

54 minutes ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

There's no major 6th here... In the Calamity Jane song the 1 & a 2 rhythmic cell is a single note, C, whereas in Raiders it's a descending fifth, a descending semitone and a ascending semitone, encompassing the span of a minor 6th.

Go on! Get him my son!

8 hours ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

You're absolutely right, should've listened to the clip rather than try and recall from memory...

Anyrode, I'll get my coat.

10 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Hopefully, Williams will share that whip crackaway anecdote in an interview instead of rehashing the same old Schindler's List story...

"After Steven showed me the first cut of Raiders, I told him: "You need the Calamity Jane composer for this film." He responded "I know. But he's dead!""

I hear that for the first time in this franchise, Williams is going to write a whip theme for Indy 5!

2 hours ago, i the t said:

You're absolutely right, should've listened to the clip rather than try and recall from memory...

Anyrode, I'll get my coat.

First of all, you shouldn't take it so personally (those who have namecalled you can easily be ignored). I certainly didn't intend to shatter your dreams or kill your enthusiasm. You come into this board with an observation that you've made and you want some recognition for that. That is fine.

But I've seen this kind of thing SO many times on film music forums over the years. Someone hears a piece of music and it reminds them of another piece of music -- even if there is no connection between the two other than the connection you make in your  mind.

For example, a few years ago I heard a striking similarity between a musical figure in Silvestri's "Seeing is Believing" from POLAR EXPRESS that instantly reminded me of a musical figure from Roger Hodgson's "Lovers in the Wind" from his solo album IN THE EYE OF THE STORM. It was a fun observation for me, but in no way did I presume that Silvestri had listened to or even heard about the Hodgson song. That would just be ludicrous.

It annoys me that I don't remember the term for this psychological mechanism (it's not 'synesthesia', but something similar), but it's very common.

38 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I just hope this doesn't take away too much time from scoring. 

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Whenever my spouse tries to hum Whip Crackaway, it always turns into this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark_(soundtrack)

:lol:

17 hours ago, Thor said:

It annoys me that I don't remember the term for this psychological mechanism (it's not 'synesthesia', but something similar), but it's very common.

Synchronicity?

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Oh my God I didn't know it was a lesbian movie! That's awesome!

PS: I can't decide if I find the flute flourish whe she throws the hammer cute or annoying.

Is this Williams' first clue that Rey might actually be a lesbian? The musical parallels are undeniable.

The hammer itself is clearly a metaphor; note the anguish on Doris' face as she throws it on the floor in disgust.

2 hours ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

Remember the deleted scene when Doctor Kalonia (Harriet Walter) puts her hand on Rey's shoulder for just a second too long? 

It would also explain why leia was so quick to forget chewy after Han died and rush to embrace Rey whom she never met.  Remember what yoda said in Interstellar about love being a Force that transcends space like gravity.  Both Rey and leia are strong with the Force.   It all makes sense now.

On 18/08/2016 at 5:28 PM, Sharkus Malarkus said:

It's not exactly Leia chained up in a gold bikini, but it'll do for now.

I must be the only man in the world who ISN'T attracted to Leia in that gold bikini. What the hell's wrong me?!