Hidden Musical Quote in Indiana Jones Theme

i the t

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2016 at 3:14 PM, Richard said:

I must be the only man in the world who ISN'T attracted to Leia in that gold bikini. What the hell's wrong me?!

Maybe you're more of a silver kind of guy.

Or you would prefer her without the bikini...

I think it certainly isn't, but Doug mentioned it in his recent ROTLA podcast and it made me think of this thread.  I'm 90% sure that this is the ONLY place somebody connected the two - so why I didn't get a public, on-the-record congratulations and some sort of statuette on Doug's podcast, I'll never know.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He found the obscure reference in the Indiana Jones theme which that strange user was going on about.

:wink:

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm still not convinced it was an intended reference by JW.

I actually think it's likely it is, for a few reasons:

1. It is quite a specific rhythm. It's not just the "long short short long" bit, but the fact that it's repeated 3 times, and that the last note is held for longer.
  2. Indiana Jones has a whip...and that bit from the Calamity Jane is all about cracking a whip.
  3. In the Raiders March it doesn't at all follow from what goes on previously, it just pops out of nowhere.

HOWEVER, one argument that's possibly against would be that Williams then goes on to use it repeatedly for the end of the B section. If I were Williams and were to include it as an easter egg, I would be more subtle about it.

On 8/16/2016 at 8:15 AM, i the t said:

Yes, the repeated "whip crackaway" phrase matches rhythmically-exactly and clearly follows the melodic contour found in the JW theme first heard in bar 27 of the linked version and later repeated several times in succession...

Yeah, you're not the only one who has noticed that. Doug Adams pointed it out in his podcast analysis of the Indiana Jones scores.