Hidden Musical Quote in Indiana Jones Theme

i the t

Hi,

I've just joined the forum as I discovered a hidden musical quote in the theme to Indiana Jones and was interested to find out who else is aware of it.

It is very blatant and from a famous song, but for the last 30 years it has continuously gone right over my head.

A couple of google searches suggest that no one else on Earth has found it, or at least not considered it worthy of writing about it online...

I even found a dissertation on the use of Leitmotif and themes in the Indiana Jones theme music and even that didn't mention it!

So.... anyone else know what it is?

No, but my guess (without even knowing what "quote" you're talking about) is that what you've heard here is a common phenomenon -- i.e. an accidental similarity in a fragment of a cue. In most such cases, people hear these things and think they are deliberate, while in actuality it's just their mind making random connections. It is especially common that someone thinks they've found a connection that nobody else has (a sort of "look what I found" feeling of exclusivity), not taking into consideration there might be a reason for why that is. I'm sure there's a psychological term for it; I see it all the time in film music forums.

Also, in most cases such as these, other people can't really hear it; or marginally at best.

Not to shatter your dreams or anything; that's just my experience with such things.

Without knowing what exactly the quote is, I agree with Thor that it's probably more an incidental similarity that is picked up by an individual listener.

Williams is usually pretty clear and straight forward when he does deliberately references another work.

Perhaps...

but it's a bars worth of motif, repeated several times, rhythmically identical, melodically very similar...

and furthermore, the song the "quote" is taken from is all about one of the protagonist's trademark ancillary appendages...

*edit - 2 bars worth of motif

Hehe. I remember hearing a very similar motif in a piece of classical music I'm sure John was aware of at the time, but I forgot its title. :(

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think you just have to tell us already. If only you have heard it, the chance of us "reading your mind" is slim.

The chance of you reading my mind is of course slim.

Your chances might widen somewhat however, if you were to listen to the theme whilst considering a key trademark item associated with the protagonist and then recalling famous songs from musicals that contain (chorus) lyrics about said item...

Or on the other hand you could just ignore it and write the whole thing off as the blathering of someone with a possible psychological condition who is after "a sort of 'look what I found' feeling of exclusivity"...

1 hour ago, thx99 said:

(BTW, why isn't an embedded YouTube window showing up in my post?)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think sometimes that happens with videos not available in certain countries

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Already bored with this. Either tell us what quote you reckon can be heard, or stop playing the all knowing smart arse. We already have plenty of those round here.

Well that certainly told me didn't it? Right barrel of laughs aren't you, eh?!

In all seriousness though young Jedi, before you threw your toys out the pram you could've possibly considered the notion I posted this thread innocently and without ulterior motive, merely thinking fans of JW might enjoy a little puzzle/conundrum about his music....

Sheesh, anyone would think i was questioning people's manhood or summat!

Still not telling tho...;).

9 minutes ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

We can safely narrow it down to either about the whip or the hat/fedora, but I'm not really a musical theatre person.

It's from the titular song that opens Whiplahoma!

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You never caught a matinee with Michael Ball? A bit of Hairspray or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang of an evening?

I love The Rocky Horror Picture Show but have never seen the musical, maybe I should. Maybe not...

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So what is the point of your little game if it isnt to prove your intellectual superiority over the rest of us?

The point of the game (if it really needs explaining) is to engage the participants with a specific problem to be solved. The ensuing thought processes should eventually lead the participant to the correct answer, at which point a mild to moderate sense of reward is experienced by the player. I'm sure you've come across similar game structures before, no?

I'm also pretty sure you don't believe someone noticing a musical quote could be considered proof of intellectual superiority...

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Blume? Is that you?

I bet it's that's Bronie Star Wars spoiling prick under a new account. He used to make exactly the same sort of irritating cunt posts. 

I don't know you at all, so I have no idea what you believe.

Just now, Lonnegan said:

I bet it's that's Bronie Star Wars spoiling prick under a new account. He used to make exactly the same sort of irritating cunt posts. 

Interesting. You may be on to something. 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I don't know you at all, so I have no idea what you believe.

Well, now you know the purpose of the puzzle you could either figure it, continue with the passive-aggressive posts or alternately, simply jog on....

4 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Easy sunshine, you'll give yoursen a hernia at that rate...

2 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Unlikely, but...

Nope, stick with the whip angle.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

You don't accumulate nearly 100.000 posts by jogging on, petal.

Can't imagine how you accumulate much else in life other than accumulating posts when your count reaches that level...

Aw, just a boobys prize

I have no musical knowledge at all, but I did google "musical theatre lyrics whip," listen to both possible matches, and determine that, "yeaaaaaaah, that's probably the one."  Is your match/"quote" the chorus/part where she sings "whip crack away?"

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Aw, just a boobys prize

I have no musical knowledge at all, but I did google "musical theatre lyrics whip," listen to both possible matches, and determine that, "yeaaaaaaah, that's probably the one."  Is your match/"quote" the chorus/part where she sings "whip crack away?"

Yes, the repeated "whip crackaway" phrase matches rhythmically-exactly and clearly follows the melodic contour found in the JW theme first heard in bar 27 of the linked version and later repeated several times in succession...

1 minute ago, Lonnegan said:

I could tell it was you from the 'prose'. You can't kid a kidder, lad. 

Soz mate, you have mistaken me for someone else. I've not been on this forum before and as stated, only joined up to see about this "quote".

I don't quite know why and I'm very sorry if this is offensive to some here, but I really can't bear any form of musical theatre. It all just feels like a third-rate comedy taking itself way too seriously.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So what do you suppose it means?

I wouldn't suppose it means anything in particular...

Just probably the link of the whip is my guess. He might not have set out to do it, perhaps it just occurred when improvising in the early stages of composition...

Lots of composers have used quotes from other composers, sometimes oblique, sometimes blatant...I'd say it's either symbolic to the theme or in some cases just a kind of an in-joke...

1 minute ago, Jilal said:

I don't quite know why and I'm very sorry if this is offensive to some here, but I really can't bear any form of musical theatre. It all just feels like a third-rate comedy taking itself way too seriously.

Lol not sure how a comedy can take itself seriously but Zappa's Billy The Mountain (from the album Just Another Band From LA - 1971) is definitely worth beholding if you fancy trying to salvage a relationship with musical theatre.

I certainly do. I hate to reject any form of art all too intuitively, but I just haven't been able to enjoy musical theatre yet.

Perhaps I'm too ... serious? I mean, I can enjoy fun and I'm only half-serious most of the time (in a cynical way), but fun has to make at least a bit of sense to me.

Does this mean John Williams is going to have lawyers show up on his doorstep tomorrow?

Maybe that student on his front lawn could accompany them with a trumpet rendition of The Imperial March.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So what do you suppose it means?

It means that this melody is the whip motif.

It was right there in front of us, for years, and we never saw it until today. Maybe there's also a jacket motif and a hat motif we haven't found yet.