Howard Shore's THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Faleel

It's the theme in triple octaves. First violins, second violins and celli three octaves apart, which gives it that grand, space-y sound. And it's backed by pretty much only brass, which adds to that open, somewhat lucid sound.

I think the choir which is present in both the RotK concert suite and live performances is not on the CR.

On 5/8/2016 at 1:09 PM, gkgyver said:

I think the choir which is present in both the RotK concert suite and live performances is not on the CR.

I personally think it's there, just mixed really really low. (I believe you can hear it better in the Symphony)

• 2 years later...
5 minutes ago, Barnald said:

Why are they blank btw?

He went through all 4,000 of his posts and manually edited each of them to be blank.  It's actually kind of insane.  Always was a bit of a nut, if you ask me.

It's so bizarre to me that anyone who is completely anonymous on a forum would spend their free time doing that.  It's not like he used his real name.  If he wanted to leave JWFan behind, all he had to do was just never log in here again.  Nobody he knows IRL or online would ever connect him to here.  Ditto for Bloodboal, who was even more anonymous.  S'weird.

BB didn't blank all of them though, right?  I thought it was just a selection.  I assume there was some method to it.

Unless he's just taking longer to do it, I guess.

Just now, Maglorfin said:

Sorry to interrupt that discussion

It wasn't so much a discussion as a wake.

1 minute ago, Maglorfin said:

I just can't stop marvelling at the way the Minas Tirith theme is played (after equally lovely attacca transition from Caras Galadhon/Lament for Gandalf) by solo horn and trumpet at the beginning of The Mirror of Galadriel on the LotR CR! bowdown So beautiful and poignant, and absolutely perfect for the scene between Aragorn and Boromir which the music accompanies.

A favorite moment of mine as well!

31 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Perfect scoring by Shore. I remember getting emotional while watching the film with the music accompanying Sean Bean's words. Absolute poetry. Shore captures that feeling of both nostalgia and the glory and majesty of Gondor as remembered by Boromir intertwined with longing. Just brilliant!

:wub: 

Boromir: My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing, and our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right and I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze? Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?

Aragorn: I have seen the White City, long ago.

Boromir: One day, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call: "The Lords of Gondor have returned."

HUGE goosebumps!

Yes!

I listened to a complete edit of Fellowship yesterday, after not having heard the score in a while.  Man, I was blown away all over again by how GOOD that score is.  It just does everything right!

I go through phases where I really burn myself out on LOTR and have to cut it cold turkey so I can listen to it with fresher ears.  I've been there for 2018.  I'm listening to only new albums, and sloooooowly going alphabetically through my other scores and giving them good listens.  I own some scores I've only listened to once or twice.

Anyway, I'll get to L eventually and I bet it'll be glorious.  FOTR is definitely my favorite score.

Overall, Fellowship is definitely my favourite, it's consistently great. Return of the King has a ton of highlights, some of which tower over Fellowship, but is therefore much more uneven.

Return of the King will always be my personal favorite of the bunch, but I'll be the first to admit that that score has a lot of filler.

10 hours ago, Maglorfin said:

:wub: 

Boromir: My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing, and our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right and I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze? Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?

Aragorn: I have seen the White City, long ago.

Boromir: One day, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call: "The Lords of Gondor have returned."

HUGE goosebumps!

😭

I bawled my eyes out seeing the finale on the big screen for the first time at Bratislava's LTP event 2 years ago.

I can recompose myself when the speech is done and the Fellowship theme plays, then completely broken again when Gandalf's sentence echoes and Frodo makes his decision.

While Return of the King is my least favourite of the three, I readily admit it has some of the most emotionally resonant bits of the trilogy...

"You bow to no one..."

and

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life..."

...get me every time.

Damn it, you guys are going to make me do my marathon re-watch early this year.

If its more emotionally effective - it is the better movie. Not to mention the better score.

Really, with this trilogy, all this "pick a favorite" sport is much more of an exercise of splitting hairs. All three films and scores are cut from the same cloth. They're not separate entries - they're different parts of a single entry.

A bit obvious but Sam’s speech at the end of TTT is just beautiful.  Brings tears every time.

”Even darkness must pass”

Geez I’m tearing up thinking about it

Elrond's counselling his daughter on the mortality of men is a perfect marriage of image and music..."An image of the splendor of the kings of men in glory, undimmed before the breaking of the world."

Pure cinematic sublimity. 

Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you... But I can carry you! Come on!

The Valinor Theme swells, marking this in the movie continuity as the exact moment Samwise Gamgee, a little Hobbit gardener who doesn't like adventures, earns his place on a boat to the Undying Lands forbidden for all mortals... :crymore:

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Elrond's counselling his daughter on the mortality of men, is a perfect marriage of image and music..."An image of the splendor of the kings of men in glory, undimmed before the breaking of the world."

Pure cinematic sublimity. 

That scene could be my favorite from the trilogy.  It's devastatingly effective and seems to capture so much of what Tolkien was about.  Deeply profound stuff from everyone involved.

I wish I connected with the elf stuff as much y’all did.  I think it’s effective but I don’t think I like it to the rapturous degree I see described above.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The closest PJ got to truly capturing the sadness of the Elves. Doomed to live forever.

For it is the doom of men that they forget.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I wish I connected with the elf stuff as much y’all did. 

I know someone who has a similar problem: he can’t get emotionally involved with the relationship of Arwen and Aragorn, which I can understand: it doesn’t have a lot of setup: it’s just there from the word go. There’s a deleted scene that may have helped with that.

I don’t mind as much, because the main themes of this series are family (we don’t see a complete family until the last frame) and same-sex friendships; the romance is kind of disposable.

13 hours ago, Holko said:

The Valinor Theme swells, marking this in the movie continuity as the exact moment Samwise Gamgee, a little Hobbit gardener who doesn't like adventures, earns his place on a boat to the Undying Lands forbidden for all mortals... :crymore:

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. ;)