Jóhann Jóhannsson - ARRIVAL (2016)

antovolk

Today's U.S. trailer (and the teaser from last week) features Jóhannsson's score! Here it is SFX/dialogue free (from the official press master of the trailer) ^^^

EDIT: originally believed this was just Jóhannsson (according to the screenwriter Eric Heiserrer) but it seems the trailer track is by Confidential Music featuring elements from Jóhannsson's score (think the first half is just JJ?)

As I just updated in the OP - I originally believed this was just JJ but turns out more people were involved in this particular track. First half seems to be just JJ tho?

I like the trailer. Looks promising!

I was under the impression the trailer music was someone "aping" Jóhannsson, or at least channeling his style through a modern trailer prism. I didn't realize he was involved himself.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think the film looks promising, but here in Norway, people are making fun of the ship designs, as they resemble our licorice candy "Lakrisbåter" (licorice boats):

CqDbg4vW8AASpJz.jpg

CqDbh37WAAA393s.jpg

I LOVE black licorice (both soft and hard). Also, it goes spectacularly well with red wine. My third favourite candy after potato chips and chocolate.

Untitled.jpg

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

An Instagram code. Didn't work, so I just took a screengrab instead.

All you have to do is paste the URL of the page you're on into your post here and the board software will automatically embed it.  Same with youtube, spotify, soundcloud, vimeo, all the sites

15 hours ago, Jay said:

All you have to do is paste the URL of the page you're on into your post here and the board software will automatically embed it.  Same with youtube, spotify, soundcloud, vimeo, all the sites

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJe_BBjBCVk/

Hmmm...didn't work.

It's working for me!

Although, for some reason, after pasting in your URL and pressing enter, it took about 2 seconds before it became an embed.

17 hours ago, Thor said:

I LOVE black licorice (both soft and hard). Also, it goes spectacularly well with red wine. My third favourite candy after potato chips and chocolate.

Untitled.jpg

Cremeritis Jason? Thor posted that a few most above already...twice!

On 8/16/2016 at 5:28 PM, antovolk said:

EDIT: originally believed this was just Jóhannsson (according to the screenwriter Eric Heiserrer) but it seems the trailer track is by Confidential Music featuring elements from Jóhannsson's score (think the first half is just JJ?)

An Immediate Music track was used as well ('Subnuclear'), so good luck figuring out who did what!

First reviews are coming in after the Venice premiere this morning, and they're almost all positive! I like this one from The Playlist:

http://theplaylist.net/denis-villeneuves-arrival-amy-adams-jeremy-renner-great-gravity-defying-sci-fi-venice-review-20160901/

" Instead Bradford Young‘s visuals do a great deal of the storytelling, along with Adams’ exceptional performance, the evocative sound design and Jóhann Jóhannsson‘s insta-classic strings-based score (when the aliens come, let there be cellos). "

• 4 weeks later...

Some info about the score: "Johannsson worked with several singers and vocal ensembles and combined both classical and avant-garde elements in his compositions, augmenting his already unique approach of combining orchestral writing with digital sound processing. Among those appearing are the prestigious Theatre of Voices, conducted by Paul Hillier, and artists such as Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe and Hildur Guonadottir, known for their unique musicianship. Johannsson also integrated some found sounds from the legendary avant-garde vocalist Joan La Barbara into his score. The soundtrack was recorded in Prague, Copenhagen and his native Reykjavik. "

• 3 weeks later...

I long for the day brother!

Perhaps this will finally make up for the irrevocable greivances that the Hobbit scores caused between us!

I'm not sure I ever forgave you for ranking AUJ over DoS! Or for never warming up to Radagast's theme. BotFA was probably the only one of the bunch where we were on the same page with the matter.

And Mad Max?! I had no such fondness for that crap. Don't confuse me with the Dutchman!

As for Interstellar...soon you shall see the light brother, soon enough...

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Sorry, can't warm up to themes that suck!

Do not tempt me Alvar!

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You sure you don't like? How do you know that?

I had to suffer it's blandness. Is that not reason enough?

More seriously, are you actually looking forward to this score? Or are you pulling my leg?

I believe Steef and Grey did.

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I haven't heard a single clip from this yet bit Sicario was a very good and intelligent score. I'll give it a chance.

Karol

Indeed it was. And Johannsson is an intelligent composer with the right temperament for a film like this. Judging by the samples, he seems to have tried some interesting things with this project.

I can't say much about the clips as they do not say much. I predict a score that does its job in the film but will be an awful droning listening experience. And the score and the composer will probably be called intelligent. I am hoping that vocal work will be more prominent than it is on the clips.

I love Johannsson's non-film work but have yet to really connect to one of his film scores.  Hoping this will be the one.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think there's anyone on this board that actually LIKED the Mad Max Fury Road score, is there?

I like it.  There are a couple of tracks I would count among my favorite OST tracks of 2015.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think there's anyone on this board that actually LIKED the Mad Max Fury Road score, is there?

Are you kidding me? It's one of my Top 10 favourite scores last year. And the film is in the top 5.

As for the clips for ARRIVAL, they sound pretty much like I expected. Dark, hypnotizing and gorgeous stuff! I can't wait to see the film -- the Norwegian press screening is as late as November 7th, which is probably later than anyone else.

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

Are you kidding me? It's one of my Top 10 favourite scores last year. And the film is in the top 5.

Well yea the film is great, no doubt.  But what is it you like about the score?  Can you describe the elements it contains that work best for you, and how the score affects you?

Well, you'd need to specify if you're talking in the film or on album. I like it in both cases, but for slightly different reasons. 

As an album, I love the relentless, gritty percussion in several tracks -- adds a very threedimensional depth to the sound. But then he sometimes breaks up the agression with gorgeous cues like "Many Mothers" which has a bit of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA vibe going on; the desert despair. I also like how he uses his extensive background in electronic music to tastefully insert those elements organically (which is a thing you rarely see with more traditional composers attempting the same). A very engrossing sense of rhythm, which makes (almost) each track sound like its own composition.

I do wish the album was sequenced better and more succinctly, though. I currently have a 17-track, 63 minute version which works reasonably well. But I'm still looking for a playlist that balances each element of the score more carefully. Maybe some 50 minutes and a couple of tracks shorter, with a better feel of ebb and flow.