Jóhann Jóhannsson - ARRIVAL (2016)

antovolk

If you guys read the article, it's an 8 minute featurette shown before the film, not a new cut of the film. Click bait headlines! 

You are probably correct, but this sentence keeps that a bit vague.

We understand that the new release of Arrival will include eight minutes of bonus footage from the film which should include some behind the scenes element, and something from Villeneuve himself. The film was a tightly-wound mystery which doesn’t seem like it needs expanding.

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You could wait until it's on TV, you know, with free commercial interruptions. I mean, it's only Villeneuve, right!

Like you've gone to the cinema more that 3 times in the last few years!

Just now, Jay said:

Oh. 

I found I wasn't using it enough once I started working. And there wasn't much last year i was interested in.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Like you've gone to the cinema more that 3 times in the last few years!

Yes, but unlike most people, I don't like watching movies in a theatre.

I haven't been a fan for decades. They improved the seats and audio but the projection (the thing that matters to me the most) went completely downhill. 

A while ago, it was temporarily better but now they are using Laser Projection and once again all contrast and colors are gone. I don't mind. Blockbuster movies aren't exactly my cup of tea.

Laserdisc was on its way out in the early nineties, so i invested in CD-i. Did you have that in Belgium Alex?

Advertised as a high quality digital video format, it was actually what we know now as mpeg1 340x220 video with horrid pixel blocking even on nineties TV's

I actually held off on DVD for several years because of my disappointment in that.

What? You didn't read me right.

I was so disappointed in CDi that I didn't look into DVD at all. Untill maybe 2000 when i saw one and the picture looked truly wonderful.

When I bought by player. A very unreliable Medion that was noisy and would get very hot I was amazed! It looked like cinema, but on my TV!

DVD revolutionized home video in a way Blu-ray, 4K and streaming never will.

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to seeing the film (I think if I waited any longer my linguistics major card would be revoked), and it was pretty good.  The twist was a little obvious, but I probably wouldn't have picked up on it as quickly if I hadn't already seen

Spoiler

The Fountain and Interstellar.

I have to say I never would've expected to hear "Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis" name-dropped in a blockbuster, so it gets brownie points for that.

Johannsson's score, though... I'm not getting the praise.  If you're going to go the defamiliarizing drone route (which I actually think was a wise decision), commit to it.  Go out and get Sunn O))) (any of O'Malley's projects, really), or Nadja, or 90s-vintage Dylan Carlson.  Think the first antechamber scene is tense with Johansson's score?  Try syncing it up to the first two tracks of "Monoliths and Dimensions."

• 3 years later...

Judging only from listening to the OST  cd- meh.

Had these pieces been there I might have felt different.

I will always associate the Richter with SHUTTER ISLAND.

I even played it when listening to the audiobook!

16 hours ago, Romão said:

Jóhannsson would've been so perfect for Dune. 

One of cinema's great missed opportunities...

He would indeed. Thankfully, there are still gems to be found in his catalogue, so we'll have "new" Jóhannsson to discover for some time to come.

I've been meaning to check out his films as director, the art films LAST AND FIRST MEN and END OF SUMMER; the former is actually screening at festivals as we speak.

Last and First Men is a fantastic film. I was surprised at its cinematic potency, though I suspect it won't be JWFan's taste.

The original Arrival epilogue (which was also replaced with Richter in the film):

1 minute ago, KK said:

Last and First Men is a fantastic. I was surprised at its cinematic potency, though I suspect it won't be JWFan's taste.

Perhaps not, but from what I've read, it's definitely mine!

Thanks also for the tip about the 'Rarities' disc.

Maybe it would have looked like bad form? To go with the narrative that the Richter was always supposed to be there?

I guess. It never stopped Williams from putting music on OST albums that got replaced by other things in the final film (TESB, Witches, TROS)