Yo-Yo Ma Will Play 2 JW Selections - Including Heartwood! - on August 27 at Tanglewood Concert That Will Air on Radio (JW will NOT conduct)

Will

This will be airing live on WCRB at 8 p.m. on August 27:

Michael Stern conducts Bernstein, Haydn, Williams and Respighi featuring cellist Yo-Yo Ma

Tanglewood

Koussevitzky Music ShedLenox, MA

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Michael Stern, conductor

Yo-Yo Ma, cello

BERNSTEIN Symphonic Suite from On The Waterfront
HAYDN Cello Concerto in C
WILLIAMS Heartwood, for cello and orchestra
WILLIAMS Rosewood and Pickin', for solo cello
RESPIGHI Pines of Rome

Gates open at 5:30PM.

Sources: http://www.wgbh.org/995/bso.cfmhttps://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/77899/

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Rosewood and pickin'?! Yet another concert work where Williams has amended the name?

No, "Rosewood" and "Pickin'" are two of the Three Pieces for Solo Cello that Williams wrote for Yo-Yo in 2001.

Very cool and diverse program, btw. So many great masterworks from several different eras grouped together.

19 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

No, "Rosewood" and "Pickin'" are two of the Three Pieces for Solo Cello that Williams wrote for Yo-Yo in 2001.

Ah, that's right. I forgot the individual movement names. They're the ones adapted from the ROSEWOOD score, right?

No, none of those pieces has anything to do with the Rosewood film score. Although the Three Pieces are inspired to African-American musical vernacular, there aren't any direct musical connections between them and the Rosewood film score. I think it's more like a different expression on a similar subject.

I wonder why Ma won't be playing the final movement of the three pieces for solo cello.

Though is great that Heartwood gets performed. It's such a wonderful piece...

And while Williams isn't conducting the program, I wouldn't be surprised if he is there in the audience.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

No, none of those pieces has anything to do with the Rosewood film score. Although the Three Pieces are inspired to African-American musical vernacular, there aren't any direct musical connections between them and the Rosewood film score. I think it's more like a different expression on a similar subject.

You're right. I double-checked the liner notes and it didn't mention the ROSEWOOD score. Weird. For all these years, I had assumed these were adaptations of the score, like the CATCH ME IF YOU CAN or MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA thingies. Guess it shows how little I've listened to the "Three Pieces for Solo Cello"!

According to the program duration on the preview here, I think they might have mislabeled the piece (Heartwood is around 20 min.)

https://www.bso.org/mediacenter

BERNSTEIN - Symphonic Suite from On The Waterfront (23 min)
HAYDN - Cello Concerto No. 1 in C (25 min
WILLIAMS - Heartwood, for cello and orchestra (4 min)
WILLIAMS - Rosewood and Pickin', for solo cello (9 min)
RESPIGHI - Pines of Rome, Symphonic Poem (21 min)

I guess the "Elegy" is being played instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful to finally hear this piece come to life outside of its recorded version and the single (?) performance it's had previously.

The performance and balances are perhaps not quite as subtle as one would want, but that may be a result of the recording. Is it also a result of the recording, or are there in fact some slight changes to the orchestration?

I hope this is just the first of many appearances of this sublime music in the concert hall.