Here's a film score list we can all agree on!

mrbellamy

The Playlist ranks the Top 50 Scores of the 21st Century so far

1. “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” (2007) – Nick Cave & Warren Ellis 
2. “There Will Be Blood” (2007) – Jonny Greenwood 
3. “Under The Skin” (2014) – Mica Levi 
4. “Requiem For A Dream” (2000)– Clint Mansell & The Kronos Quartet 
5. “In the Mood for Love” (2000) – Michael Galasso & Shigeru Umebayasi 
6. “Upstream Color” (2013) – Shane Carruth 
7. “Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind” (2004) – Jon Brion 
8. “Birth” (2004) – Alexandre Desplat 
9. “The Dark Knight” (2008) – Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard 
10. “The Social Network” (2010) – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross 
11. “Beasts of the Southern Wild” (2012)– Dan Rohmer and Benh Zeitlin 
12. “Carol” (2015) – Carter Burwell 
13. “Solaris” (2002) – Cliff Martinez 
14. “All Is Lost” (2013) – Alex Ebert 
15. “Volver” (2006) – Alberto Iglesias 
16. “The Duke of Burgundy” (2015) – Cat’s Eyes (Faris Badwan and Rachel Zeffira) 
17. “28 Days Later” (2003) – John Murphy 
18. “Moneyball” (2011) – Mychael Danna 
19. ‘Ocean’s’ Series (2001-2007) – David Holmes 
20. “The Motorcycle Diaries” (2004) – Gustavo Santaolalla 
21. “Me And You And Everyone We Know” (2005) – Michael Andrews 
22. “Her” (2013) – Arcade Fire and Owen Pallett 
23. “Sunshine” (2007) – John Murphy & Underworld 
24. “25th Hour” (2002) – Terrence Blanchard 
25. “Only Lovers Left Alive” (2014) – Jozef Van Wissem & SQÜRL 
26. “The Fountain” (2006) – Clint Mansell & Kronos Quartet & Mogwai 
27. “Like Crazy” (2011) – Dustin O’Halloran 
28. “The Fog Of War” (2003) – Philip Glass 
29. “Irreversible” (2002) – Thomas Bangalter 
30. “Prisoners” (2013) – Jóhann Jóhannsson 
31. “Fright Night Lights” (2004)— Explosions In The Sky 
32. “The Virgin Suicides” (2000) – Air 
33. “Trouble Every Day” (2001) – Tindersticks 
34. “Ain’t Them Bodies Saints” (2013) – Daniel Hart 
35. “Inherent Vice” (2014) – Jonny Greenwood 
36. “Brooklyn” (2015) – Michael Brook 
37. “Enemy” (2014) – Danny Bensi & Saunder Jurriaans 
38. “The Hateful Eight” (2015) – Ennio Morricone 
39. “Ghost Dog” (2000) – The RZA 
40. “Inception” (2010) – Hans Zimmer 
41. “It Follows” (2015) – Rich Vreeland (aka Disasterpeace) 
42. “Where The Wild Things Are” (2009) – Carter Burwell and Karen O & The Kids 
43. “Attack the Block” (2011) – Basement Jaxx and Steven Price 
44. “Take Shelter” (2011) – David Wingo 
45. “Old Joy” (2006) – Yo La Tengo 
46. “Life Of Pi” (2012) – Mychael Danna 
47. “Never Let Me Go” (2010) – Rachel Portman 
48. “Ruby Sparks” (2012) – Nick Urata 
49. “Tron: Legacy”(2010) – Daft Punk 
50. “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

11. “Beasts of the Southern Wild” (2012)– Dan Rohmer and Benh Zeitlin 

Am I the only one who fucking hates this score?  The instrumentation is grating and the main theme is ripped straight from Doug's First Movie

For all this list's hipster credentials (with a few popularist picks to keep the plebs happy) you'd be forgiven for thinking almost all of the great scores of the 21st century were produced in the Anglosphere. Not a lot of international cinema represented, mostly oh so fashionable domestic indie fare. There's some interesting films among that lot but the scores tend to be of the sonic wallpaper variety.

Out of all the scores on that list, Life of Pi is the only one I like.  Well,  Oceans 11 is fun (don't remember how similar/different the sequel scores are).

Actually, I need to listen to Birth again.  Isn't that opening cue for the guy running pretty great?

None one these scores are on my shelves.

Of course, It means nothing except.. life is short, and I don't give a sh**.

EDIT : I have The Dark Knight  in DVD. That's it. DVD... OMG, I already sounds like a grand father.

1 hour ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

For all this list's hipster credentials (with a few popularist picks to keep the plebs happy) you'd be forgiven for thinking almost all of the great scores of the 21st century were produced in the Anglosphere. Not a lot of international cinema represented, mostly oh so fashionable domestic indie fare. There's some interesting films among that lot but the scores tend to be of the sonic wallpaper variety.

Yeah, this was my biggest issue with it is that the hipster cred doesn't even carry them far enough to extend much outside the US for interesting recommendations. The honorable mentions also go on and on and on and yet continue to be very "indie American."

Is it me or are over 60% of these scores by bands, solo indie artists or ambient/electronic producers?

Also, why The Social Network and The Girl With The Golden Girl instead of the infinitely more interesting Gone Girl? Why Inception and The Dark Knight rather than Interstellar?

4 minutes ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

Is it me or are over 60% of these scores by bands, solo indie artists or ambient/electronic producers?

It's not just you. And many of them are fine scores. But the list goes out of its way to snub almost anything traditional or classical in its approach. 

1 hour ago, Hawmy said:

I haven't even heard of more than half of these much less listened to their scores.

Same.

I have no idea, it's definitely a top contender. I like to save Cave and Ellis' works for the right mindset. I find their music extremely moving. Coincidentally, their newest score arrived on my doorstep today!

Yeah, but that barely had any original score in it. They mostly adapted and performed a bunch of songs for the film. They've done most of John Hillcoat's films, but for some reason Atticus Ross and his team of composers scored Triple 9.

It is an interesting list. Very biased, though. There are certainly worthy candidates on there. But I also see a lot not-so-great populist stuff that doesn't really aim that high. It seems they mostly picked a safe award-season type of things (Carol? Seriously?) and other scores that were simply popular (read: non-orchestral). And yeah, while it's important to take into account film doesn't need to sound like John Williams necessarily, it would have been nice to at least have some diversity. After all film music is not about genres and it's never good to pick titles solely based around your personal tastes. Especially in this field. It's a wider subject - 19-century orchestra, electronic drones and chamber-like ensembles all have their place within that world.

Karol

Ha, ha....I KNEW this list would not go over well in a forum like this.

I actually think the list has many wonderful scores that would also be on my own list of the best of the 2000s. But it obviously misses a whole lot of more traditional, extrovert scores that we film music fans pride ourselves in loving. Very few symphonic adventure shenanigans here.

5 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You should see some of the posts on Facebook! Film score fans are pretty big assholes, no wonder everyone hates our niche market!

Yeah, I've noticed the discussions.

I've never understood why people get so riled up about lists. It's just a subjective evaluation.

Indiewire -- one of my favourite film sites, btw -- is especially interested in arthouse and indie cinema, so it makes sense that a list would like this. If I had made my own, it would be a mix of some of the titles here, and more traditional fare which we "nerds" love.

I like a lot of the list myself (especially enjoy the shout-outs to Volver, Ocean's, 25th Hour, Prisoners) but I kinda wonder what the closest thing to a "fair" attempt at one of these lists might look like...something that felt like it really weighed everything. I know people think lists are dumb but sometimes they're really well thought-out and the reasoning can be enlightening. Most film score lists tend to acknowledge big symphonic scores to the exclusion of everything else which is boring, whereas this essentially goes the other way in its tunnel vision. The authors come across as a little flighty, they even give the lame "Hey, if the wind's blowing another way, the whole list would be totally different!" excuse.