BFG Concert Suite

Tom

I said this in the thread where this suite was originally posted, but quite notably and unfortunately Williams does not include a single statement of the BFG's theme (the one referred to as "BFG/Sophie Friendship Theme" in Jay's list) in the suite. He did include it in the film's end credits arrangement (Sophie and the BFG), near the middle IIRC. 

Try another browser if the page doesn't load.

Concerts are in the BROADCAST tab.

I updated the Concert section of my website, all the latest concerts are listed here: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/concerts.htm

I found it this morning and gave it a quick listen before work.... but 12 hours later, it seems to be gone. 

Thanks! For some reason I thought the concert was a few days ago, so I was just looking at the most recent concerts.

I haven't found myself returning to very many individual cues from this score (granted, it's barely been six weeks), but I already love this suite to death, in either of its musical isotopes (OST or Pops).  While The BFG's themes may not be vibrant enough to launch it into the company of his more substantial and memorable fantasy scores, I honestly think this suite, on its own terms, is a masterpiece.  If it had been written as an eight-minute accompaniment for the book, it would be universally acclaimed.

Many of the changes go well beyond subtle: different orchestrations, fairly extensive extension of the second thematic movement, elimination of the one the OST themes. 

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Many of the changes go well beyond subtle: different orchestrations, fairly extensive extension of the second thematic movement, elimination of the one the OST themes. 

Extension of the giant country material? Huh, I hadn't noticed that. 

Yes, the elimination of what I call the BFG's theme was quite a bummer. 

Oh, and I haven't seen this mentioned here yet but the Sophie's theme bit at the very beginning of the Dream Country segment sounds different to me from the OST version. 

That re-arrangement of the opening is still my everything.

They should play the main theme on a loop over the speaker system at Magic Kingdom.  It's very, well, magical and just feels like Disney music is supposed to feel.  Anyhoo.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

That re-arrangement of the opening is still my everything.

They should play the main theme on a loop over the speaker system at Magic Kingdom.  It's very, well, magical and just feels like Disney music is supposed to feel.  Anyhoo.

Yes, that opening is wonderful. And the theme is very underrated IMO.

What a wonderful suite! 

Some lovely extensions, and a beautiful presentation of what I find to be truly endearing thematic material, and simply a masterful score. 

15 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

okay, now the page loads but no tanglewood on parade recordings available. 

Here's the direct link, in case you're still having trouble:

http://bso.http.internapcdn.net/bso/podcasts/images/2016podcast/twd/TOP20160802OnDemandVersion.mp3

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Is there a thread titled "I'm too dumb to use internet"?

ROTFLMAO

Is it me, or is there a microscopic quote of a riff from "Snowy's Theme" followed immediately by a microscopic quote of a riff from "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" late in this suite?  I think it's a moment that's not on the OST, and if you listen to the giant MP3 from Tanglewood, it starts around the 1:23:06 mark.  Not intentional, obviously, but does anybody hear the snatches I'm talking about?

Maybe I need a nap.