The Top Three of the Top Three

I also preferred Gia.

For both Horner and Goldsmith, I find it hard to think of three scores apiece that really excite me, let alone enough to make the ranking fun for me.  Never been a huge fan of either, and the scores I do love from them are usually more tied into nostalgia for good movies, not the scores themselves.

I considered Zimmer and Silvestri.  I have a lot of Zimmer and like an awful lot of his stuff, but there are also a lot of his scores that I actively dislike.  I like Silvestri a lot, but my interest in his new stuff has really waned over the past ten years or so, and expanded versions of scores like BTTF didn't do those scores any favors in my books.

So it was more fun for me to order Giacchino, who also has a lot of scores I really like, and his "worst' scores are just kind of "middle of the road" (even though there are a lot that end up just middle of the road).

He just means they're his Top 3 favorite composers personally.

The exercise is for you to pick your personal favorite 3 composers and then pick your three favorite scores from each.  You don't have to use the same three.

My appreciation for North's music didn't blossom as early as it should have in my life.  I envy people I know who are more familiar with it than I yet am.  I'm constantly astounded.  For example....

• 2 weeks later...

JOHN WILLIAMS:

Superman: The Movie

E.T. The Extrateresstrial

Hook

JERRY GOLDSMITH:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Poltergeist

Alien

JAMES HORNER:

Apollo 13

Star Trek II

Glory

And while we're on the subject . . . seeing people's lists here like this, it got me thinking. We oughta do some kind of Top 10 List for each composer, y'know? Have everyone list them in order from favorite on down, and post them as some kinda "JWFan" listing for all of them. Whatdya think. . . ?

• 8 months later...

1. JOHN WILLIAMS

1. The Lost World: Jurassic Park

2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

2. JERRY GOLDSMITH

1. Alien

2. Legend

3. Total Recall

3. ENNIO MORRICONE

1. The Mission

2. Once Upon a Time in America

3. The Great Silence

I was never aware of the fact that Jerry Goldsmith is THAT popular on this forum! And I was never aware of the fact that "Twilight Zone: The Movie" is THAT recognized among his fans!

I have to admit I have never been too amazed of the most popular John Williams scores "E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial", "Superman: The Movie" and "Jaws".

Hans Zimmer:

1. Interstellar

2. Gladiator

3. The Lion King

James Horner:

1. Titanic

2. Legends of the Fall

3. A Land Before Time

John Williams:

1. Memoirs of a Geisha

2. Jurassic Park

3. Saving Private Ryan

Jerry Goldsmith:

1. Poltergeist

2. Gremlins and Gremlins 2 (don't ask me to choose between them!!!)

3. Rudy!...no wait, Legend!...or maybe Rambo. Total Recall?...damn it, this is hard. Uh...Final Conflict?

John Powell:

1. Horton Hears a Who

2. How to Train Your Dragon 2

3. Chicken Run

John Williams:

1. Jurassic Park and The Lost World (yeah, I'm cheatin' again, whaddya gonna do about it? I love these two on pretty much the same level)

2. Jaws

3. E.T

Chr-

Hey, cut that out, you can only pick three!

Sorry, fellas. I can't betray Christopher Young:

1. Drag Me to Hell

2. Hellbound: Hellraiser II

3. The Monkey King

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:45 PM, Stefancos said:

John Williams 

1: E.T. The Extra Terrestrial 

2: Jaws

3: Jurassic Park

"Jurassic Park"? Really? Don't get me wrong, it's a fine soundtrack, but there's not much memorable material outside of the two main themes.

I don't remember a note of Star Wars music beyond the opening fanfare and Rey's theme. I try out the scores here and there (both original and prequel scores) and nothing's especially grabbed me yet (I mean, it's good stuff, just not my thing). 

Yet I remember the two main JP themes, the raptor motif, the Lost World theme, Giacchino's World theme, the two equally epic finishes that are "T-Rex Rescue and Finale" and "A Visitor in San Diego", those gnarly tribal drums heard throughout Lost World, etc. Don Davis' variations on the themes are at least fun to listen to now and then, and his spinosaurus motif is ai'ight.

I like STAR WARS music, but TESB would just about scrape into my top 20.

I don't dislike, it's just that, over the years, my tastes in music have changed. I no longer get off on all that "strum und drang" stuff. Now, I usually prefer something "quieter".

I would say The Empire Strikes Back is William's best score. It's just an all-around great, classic soundtrack.

Star Wars music is always BIG and LOUD and EPIC and AMAZING and THE GREATEST MOST WONDERFUL FANTABULOUS THING OH MY GOODNESS GOOSEBUMPS I'M TEARING UP but Jurassic Park can take it easy once in awhile. 

It also, for my ears, has a more unique flavor to it. 

But this is purely my self-indulgence. I inherently prefer dinosaur carnage to boring old space battles. 

The score for Jurassic Park used quite a bit of synth in some places, and, as a result, sounds somewhat dated today. ESB is an all-orchestral score, no synth used.

4 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

Where?

It certainly is not nearly as noticeable as Jurassic Park.

The Magic Tree has quite prominent synth. I believe the choir in the Bespin cue might also be synth.

Was Williams using synth embellishments at that time yet?

Just now, Stefancos said:

The Magic Tree has quite prominent synth. I believe the choir in the Bespin cue might also be synth.

Was Williams using synth embellishments at that time yet?

The choir in CITY IN THE CLOUDS is real.

JW also used synth in SUPERMAN.

Williams

1. Star Wars

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. E.T.

Herrmann

1. Vertigo

2. Taxi Driver

3. probably a four way tie but let's just say North By Northwest for now

Morricone

1. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

2. The Thing

3. Cinema Paradiso

Kinda surprised by all the Horner love. Not certain he'd even make my top ten.

I cheated with four, but now I'll do the three runner-ups! Because!...I just want to.

Bruce Broughton:

1. Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco

2. The Monster Squad

3. Boy Who Could Fly

James Horner:

1. Land Before Time

2. Aliens

3. Mighty Joe Young

James Newton Howard:

1. Maleficent

2. Dinosaur

3. King Kong