Will we ever get Hobbit Complete Recordings?

bollemanneke

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've seen each film precisely zero times. Are they worth seeing?

Absolutely. And in their extended versions.  You should get on that.  

Says the man with the JRRT avatar. 

I saw AUJ once in the theater, and then I skipped the sequels until I could see the theatrical versions of all three for "free" using my cable provider's on demand catalog. 

I could have waited many more years and been just fine.

AUJ was fun but only just came together as a film for me. A lot of the action was unneeded, but I still enjoyed it.

I thought DoS was doing rather well until the Smaug/chase sequence where the whole thing drags for about half an hour. I sat open-mouthed at the ending, and not in a good way.

Bo5A I remember mostly as a collection of cameras flying around battle scenes. I don't even remember how it begins or ends. (except the Laketown bit which should've been at the end of DoS).

I want to see Del Toro's version.

I'm a crazy big Spielberg fan and I actually think Jurassic Park is kind of overrated as a film and in his filmography.  I guess that's weird.

Don't get me wrong, I love the movie.  I just think it's not, like, the towering achievement of his career that some do.

10 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Jurassic Park...are you freaking kidding me!? If Jurassic Park is you're favourite movie, The Hobbit is tailor made for you.

Like John Hammond? You'll LOVE Balin....another white bearded and loveable giver of wisdom.

Like Dr. Grant?  You'll LOVE Bilbo...another reluctant hero swept off into adventure.

Like Dr. Satler? You'll LOVE the "strong female" in Tauriel!

Like Dennis Nedry? You'll LOVE the mischievous and irascibly scheming Alfrid!

Like kids in peril? You'll LOVE seeing Bard's kids nearly killed by fire a breathing dragon!

Like dinosaurs? You'll LOVE Smaug, the ULTIMATE bad ass flying dino!

Dude, I can't believe you haven't seen The Hobbit already.  Drop whatever you're doing for the next 10 hours and watch!

That is hilarious!

14 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Jurassic Park...are you freaking kidding me!? If Jurassic Park is you're favourite movie, The Hobbit is tailor made for you.

Like John Hammond? You'll LOVE Balin....another white bearded and loveable giver of wisdom.

Like Dr. Grant?  You'll LOVE Bilbo...another reluctant hero swept off into adventure.

Like Dr. Satler? You'll LOVE the "strong female" in Tauriel!

Like Dennis Nedry? You'll LOVE the mischievous and irascibly scheming Alfrid!

Like kids in peril? You'll LOVE seeing Bard's kids nearly killed by fire a breathing dragon!

Like dinosaurs? You'll LOVE Smaug, the ULTIMATE bad ass flying dino!

Dude, I can't believe you haven't seen The Hobbit already.  Drop whatever you're doing for the next 10 hours and watch!

I'm not interested in a remake of JP, though. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not interested in a remake of JP, though. :lol:

Ah. Well I'm guessing you never saw any of the sequels then.

22 minutes ago, Jerry said:

It's all hidden under excessive CGI...

You can’t be serious. All 5 Jurassic Park movies make great use of both CGI and practical effects, especially for their time. 

6 minutes ago, John said:

You can’t be serious. All 5 Jurassic Park movies make great use of both CGI and practical effects, especially for their time. 

I meant that the ideas that @Nick1066 pointed out about Jurassic Park were present in The Hobbit, to which I said:

28 minutes ago, Jerry said:

It's all hidden under excessive CGI, strange character choices, and epic battle sequences.

The Hobbit is a little too fond of CGI.

Just like watching the EE's, the CR's were revelatory and completely altered my listening experience after years of only having the OSTs. The Special Editions of The Hobbit scores, whilst they present a bit more meat on the bone, they can sometimes be more frustrating because I'm still aware of the music that's missing. So much time has now passed since the films that the odds are diminishing, I'm hoping if the Rings CR's sell well, it might flip someone's switch high up in the food chain to consider doing the Hobbit scores!

Good list SUH. I would also add the complete original composition for the opening part of the prologue, prior to the transition to map. We heard glimpses on that Howard Shore video that came out just before the first film, and it sounded lovely.

1 hour ago, Eändil said:

Are you talking about this video? I don't seem to hear anything that wouldn't be on the albums.

The music from around 7:30 onwards is not on the album. Clearly this was intended to score (some of) old Bilbo's bits right as the film proper begins (it is Bilbo Adventure-type material by the sounds of things). Instead the album transitions from the Shire statement straight to the music for the map (at least we all suspect that's what it was intended for). This part runs for around 60 seconds, of which we only hear about 20 seconds here? I'm very interested to hear if Shore uses any other thematic material here, I don't believe we've ever had a description of the composition.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if there's movement on LOTR CR-style releases for The Hobbit trilogy?

The OST for the first film almost seems like an alternate score compared to what ended up in the final film! Not just all the Radagast stuff being scrapped but lots of other alternate cues too.

I wonder if each film already having a 2-disc "deluxe" version might make CR releases a harder sell, given the surplus of music already released?

I don't think there has been any definitive news on The Hobbit CRs yet. And the original 2-disc releases might make the fully complete score releases a tougher sell at the record company since so much of the music has already been released and these releases seem to reflect the composer's own preferred selection of the music from the scores.

With the Amazon LOTR series in the works it's surely only a matter of time. But how they are presented - given the differences between film score and the original score for AUJ in particular - will be very interesting. Plus we'll need our alternates of course, providing they're not forthcoming with Doug's book.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

But did he actively advocate this stupid treatment of the scores?

Are you talking about the nearly identical regular/special editions? If so, I agree that making both 2 discs was a stupid idea.

I recently revised my Hobbit playlist to 70 mins. Most of it is from the first score with just one track from BOTFA (Courage and Wisdom). I can't imagine for a moment buying CRs.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

But did he actively advocate this stupid treatment of the scores?

What, releasing most of the score from the very start, instead of making us wait 10 years for it?

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:50 AM, gkgyver said:

You mean like with every major movie soundtrack ever?

Come on, this is unlike any other soundtrack I've ever seen. AUJ contains 50 minutes of unused/rejected music, why would anyone put that on an OST? I have nothing against standard/special editions, I have everything against the fact that there's nothing standard about the standard edition. A brilliant example of standard and deluxe presentations would be 2017's Beauty and the Beast.

Well, just a hunch, but could have something to do with the soundtrack Deadline being somewhere around October/November, while Shore was rewriting and recording up until literally hours before the premiere in December.

Did you also get your knickers in a knot when the LOTR OSTs featured a plethora of alternates because of schedules?

Be thankful we got so many alternates on CD, because going by the LOTR CR and Rarities situation, we would never get so many Hobbit alternates any other way.

The alts on the LOTR OSTs are mildly frustrating, but at least the albums do what OSTs should do, they provide a highlights experience. Why do these standard Hobbit editions exist? What purpose do they serve? Do you honestly think casual movie fans will sit through two hours of music?

No. Casual movie fans don't buy soundtracks at all, unless the cover says Hans Zimmer, or features famous pop musicians. Film scores are a small niche, even the Harry Potter expanded scores are printed in very low quantities, and these 2 CD Hobbit OSTs are a fan service in the first place. 

You think even one casual movie goer would notice the differences between OST and movie, much less give one rat's ass about them? You're the only one making a fuss about it, buddy.

For the price of one Spotify subscription, you can listen to all 6 different Hobbit soundtracks until you're blue in the face, and if you just want to collect the OSTs, what difference does the content make? 

So what the hell's your problem?

You want the Soundtrack to be released two months after the movie? That's smart marketing.

You want the LOTR re-recordings replace original score on the OST? 

Films 2 and 3 were recorded so early that you do get most of it on CD, but then ended up being butchered in the actual film. That's not terribly clever either.

But that's my point. If film scores are indeed a niche market, and I don't doubt your claim at all, why on earth do they waste our time with two editions that only contain minor differences? Why can't we just have one edition that contains all the released content? Who buys/wants the standard editions?

bolle has a point here - the differences between the two versions are so minor that it takes fans of the scores to notice them.

If Shore were told that he could release a 2-disc set right off the bat due to his LotR success and popularity, why would he not just compile one 2-disc set?

And it's just so damn cloudy what the two versions want to achieve - with LotR, we had standard tie-in 1 disc distillations from what they had at the time, then "proper" long releases, which closely approximate the final recorded score as a whole. With the Hobbits, thre's a 2-disc edition with half full discs that is a distillation of the score, then another 2-disc edition more music from the film but also alternates making it less music from the film, but also bonus tracks and suites but not always, sometimes tracks from the previous score, sometimes mockups of unused early ideas, but while a good noticeable portion of the final film score is still unreleased because both editions are distillations from what they had at the time. It's bleedin' confusing and not at all clear why you'd want one or the other - you'd need both, but would have to mix and match and swap tracks for it to be close to a normal set, still missing music though. The LotRs have clear goals and achieve them well.