Will we ever get Hobbit Complete Recordings?

bollemanneke

That makes sense. I should probably not have used those ewords... All I mean is this: When we watch these films, we know the story is fictional and that's okay. But, Tolkien, being pedantic and over-stately, pretends this is a real story. You can love it or hate it, but it is NOT real history.

The whole appeal about Tolkien is that he treats Middle-Earth as actual history. And that's frankly what separates it from the rest. 

Bolle's ultimate fantasy movie must be Phantom Menace. Soundtrack too. Ultimate Edition of course.

Hey, leave Phantom Menace out of this!

Anyway, Tolkien in the prologue to Lord of the Rings basically says he's translating from the Red Book and several other copies. The book reads like it's been translated from an older language. Pick up a translation of the Iliad from the 50s and the language is the same. By including the reference to other translations he's giving the text a fiction textual transmission from the Red Book all the way down to his copy. This explains the difference between the first and second versions of The Hobbit. It's really quite clever and ties in with the in universe story. 

Lord of the Rings reads, and is meant to read, like one of those translations. Be it Beowulf or Homer or whatever, it's supposed to be like that. You can not like that but calling Tolkien pedantic is just you taking your frustration out on a genius work. 

The falcon has arisen! I repeat the falcon has arisen!

Code red! Code red! Man the battlestations!

4 hours ago, KK said:

Lol

If bolleman's "critique" of Tolkien is a reflection of the future generations' state of literacy, I weep for the world.

It is rather disheartening as a premonition, isn't it?

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, I do, because it's simply jarring and childish.

But Frodo is meant to be a man-child, as are all hobbits to varying degrees. He's a 30-year-old-virgin sheltered from the Big Wide World, living in both a metaphorical and non-metaphorical bubble (Bag End).

But there's something I really don't understand about all this. Every LOTR fan I talked to so far reacted in exactly the same way to that upcoming box: They're crazy. Does this mean that it's cheaper for WB to release a box set with a pricetag no one is going to fall for, than releasing new music with a cheaper price? Or am I overestimating the people who'd be prepared to buy Hobbit CRS?

Oh well, at the end of the day, this article really doesn't provide any shocking information, just speculation. I still believe.

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I can't do more than buying the re-issues of the LOTR CRs.

Currently there are forces at work deliberating over releasing a set of music for the last three books of the animated series Legend of Korra - a Nickelodeon show. It's crazy that they're even thinking of releasing another set, so it doesn't seem improbable that we might see TH CR's from a company that's looking for profit!

13 minutes ago, Barnald said:

With the forthcoming Amazon series I'm confident (moreso than I was before actually) we'll see these commence in the next couple of years.

Without looking, I can predict with absolutely certainty that more than one person here predicted this about the prequel scores when the sequel trilogy was announced.

I recently stumbled across this tweet:

I noticed it was posted nearly 4 years ago and thought maybe we’d have had some progress by now!

Given the success of the LOTR CR re-releases (judging by Amazon) and the fact we haven’t seen Hobbit Vinyl releases yet, I would have thought Hobbit CRs would be on the table. Heck, Shore is the film composer with the most ‘monthly listeners’ on Spotify at the moment and he hasn’t even released a new score in 2 years! There is sufficient demand!

I'm optimistic though, I’m sure they will be in development when The Music of the Hobbit films book gets greenlight for release.

I just wonder whether Shore feels they are necessary. He took the chance to create a 2-CD release right from the start, which is very different from the single CD LotR OSTs.

Actually, the only bit of music I can remember that I'd like is the film version of the Eagle rescue. Although this is based on not having seen any of the films since the cinema and really not being particularly impressed by/connected to any of them.

The way they did the OST/Special edition releases seems really confusing and aimless.  Here, have a 2-disc set with not filled CDs with a lot of film versions, regular consumer. Here, there's another, still 2-disc version, just with a bit more music from the films and some tracks completely randomly switched to more or less interesting (sometimes terrible) alternates, CDs are still not filled and a ton of music (including film versions) stays unreleased but you have to pay much more for it. I will never understand, for example, why The Forest River was extended by 16 seconds instead of the full remaining 2 minutes.

With LotR, it's very simple: 1CD OSTs filled with whatever they had at the time to make a listening experience for the regular consumer, then 3-4(+1)  disc sets with the complete intended film versions (except Fellowship which is the complete actual film version), coming out later and done largely properly for the collectors who actually do care about it.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I just wonder whether Shore feels they are necessary. He took the chance to create a 2-CD release right from the start, which is very different from the single CD LotR OSTs.

Actually, the only bit of music I can remember that I'd like is the film version of the Eagle rescue. Although this is based on not having seen any of the films since the cinema and really not being particularly impressed by/connected to any of them.

I'm sure there were people who were just fine with the original OSTs for LOTR. Yet, wouldn't you rather that comprehensive release like the CRs was released for anyone to make the choice about the listening experience they wanted to craft. Simply because you didn't hear anything that you liked missing from the Special Edition Hobbit releases, doesn't mean there aren't many more people who'd rather have that music released and available.

On 8/23/2016 at 8:05 AM, bollemanneke said:

Do you think it's likely that we will ever have Complete Hobbit Recordings with the same audio quality and annotated scores? Also, what would AUJ look like? Film versions or dropped OST material?

The current releases are pretty complete, at least for my liking. I'm not sure what more we need to hear.

The current releases are nowhere near complete, especially An Unexpected Journey.  There's about an hour of recorded music that isn't released yet just from that.

Pardon my misinformed comment. It's a heck of a lot of material for an OST. My point simply is @Jay, that all the music I need from the Hobbit trilogy I already own. So we may get a complete recordings, but I won't get it.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

The current releases are nowhere near complete, especially An Unexpected Journey.  There's a bout an hour of recorded music that isn't released yet just from that.

Is that taking into account film versions/revisions? I had no idea there was that much unreleased.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Why dismiss a hypothetical release only on your own baseless assumptions?

I'm not dismissing a potential complete recordings release as a possibility per se, more like determining that I would not be interested in such a collection seeing as I already own the OST's for each of the films, which are all I need as far as I am concerned.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I'm sure there were people who were just fine with the original OSTs for LOTR. Yet, wouldn't you rather that comprehensive release like the CRs was released for anyone to make the choice about the listening experience they wanted to craft. Simply because you didn't hear anything that you liked missing from the Special Edition Hobbit releases, doesn't mean there aren't many more people who'd rather have that music released and available.

Please don't mistake my comments for not wanting a CR release. I'd love it to happen. I was just stating that Shore's personal desire might not be as strong as it was for LotR, with a more comprehensive release the first time round, and with so much of the unreleased material being revisions.

There seems to be a respect for Shore's desires more than for most composers (hence probably why there's never been any sort of sessions leak), therefore I can see him being the driver behind further releases.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Is that taking into account film versions/revisions? I had no idea there was that much unreleased.

Of course.  What else would it be?

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Blimey, no one has watched these films. How amusing.

There is genuine fun, thrill and fascination to be had with the Hobbits, but the overbloat, lack of focus and at times terribly processed visuals drag them down for degrees that vary between the movies and the people watching them.