Will we ever get Hobbit Complete Recordings?

bollemanneke

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

But that's my point. If film scores are indeed a niche market, and I don't doubt your claim at all, why on earth do they waste our time with two editions that only contain minor differences? Why can't we just have one edition that contains all the released content? Who buys/wants the standard editions?

Soundtrack collectors do. The answer is: WB earns more money.

But your original statement was that you haven't listened to the soundtracks yet, which makes no sense whatsoever. Even if Water Tower released a soundtrack exactly to your liking, it still costs more than a Spotify subscription.

And there still is no reason to not buy the special edition.

I expect marketing ploys with movie studios. I find more offense in endless re-releases of the same goddamn soundtrack. 

I have certainly listened to the soundtracks. But why would I buy the SE of AUJ? Because Roast Mutton is so great on that release? Because the end credits song's extended version is what you hear in the film credits? It's offensive butchering.

Roast Mutton in particular is one where the Extended cue replaces a great section (Misty Mountains quote) with a much worse section with barely any force and tempo behind it, that's traded in for more of the actual cue that wasn't on the standard. It's just a mess.

Here is Bloodbouals video

13 Angry Dwarves and Roast Mutton.

Now, for the first video, I took the extended version of that track, and replaced the Company's theme statement by the one from the standard version, and for the second video, I left the extended version of that track untouched, so both videos have exactly the same music, except for the part from 2'22 to 3'23.

So, details about the music for that scene (same time stamps for both videos):

0'00 - 0'32: used and left untouched in the film

0'32 - 1'24: used but messed up a bit in the film (some loops, microedits and stuff like that were done in the film), but I'm pretty sure that's how it was supposed to sync.

1'24 - 1'35: unused in the film, but it's a certainty it was meant to go where it is the videos below

1'35 - 2'07: used in the film, even though the ending of that bit was shortened.

2'07 - 2'22: used and left untouched in the film

2'22 - 3'38: Now, this part is a mess in the film. It uses music from the OST version, the special edition version, plus a third version. There are loops, microedits and such. The funny thing is, when I tried to sync the music with the picture, it all worked pretty well: the video was only 6 seconds too long, and I'm 100% certain that these 6 seconds of footage that were supposedly added late in the game come from the shot of Kili attacking one of the trolls (doesn't appear in the videos, since I had to cut it). Why do I believe that? Well, because during the first part of the battle (so from the beginning of it till that shot of Kili I mentioned), it all works well: you have the Company's theme statement as the Dwarves show up, then the Bilbo music playing as he appears on screen at 2'40 and as he goes through the battlefield. Then, the next sync point I had was the second Company's theme statement at 3'04, which has to appear as we see Dwalin doing that big jump. So, between 2'40 and 3'04, we have to see Bilbo freeing the ponys (so I couldn't cut that), but we also have to see Ori using his slingshot, because after that, he gets taken by one of the trolls, and that's the reason why Dwalin does his big jump right after that. All this to say that this left me with that shot of Kili doing his ninja stuff, which I had to cut. So it's certain that it was this shot that made them tinker with the music (still, that doesn't explain the big mess they did with it in that sequence).

3'38 - 3'58: used and left untouched in the film

3'58 - 4'33: unused in the film, but it seems like it was supposed to go where it is in the videos below.

4'33 - End: used and left untouched in the film

Roast Mutton (Standard Version)

Roast Mutton (Extended Version)

As I understand it:

0.00 - 2.22: The same in both versions. 

2.22 -  3.38: two different version off the fight scene.

3.38 - 4.33: only on the speciell Edition 

2.22 - end (normal) or 4.33 - end (speciell) the same in both versions.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

*facepalm*

I'm sure Shore had a reason, but god knows what it was.

Maybe getting more music out there. Maybe.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Roast Mutton in particular is one where the Extended cue replaces a great section (Misty Mountains quote) with a much worse section with barely any force and tempo behind it, that's traded in for more of the actual cue that wasn't on the standard. It's just a mess.

"A mess" ...

Ok, please name any, any, other track beside Roast Mutton, on any of the three soundtracks, in which music from one edition is replaced with other music on the other edition.

You talk as if this happens every second track. It happens once.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The standard OST should have been 1 disc, very much like the LOTR ones. The deluxe fancy editions should have been 2 discs.

Its so simple!

Dis.