"How to write like John Williams"

Faleel

How to write like JW.

You can't and you never will, you c**t, so don't start.

It takes more than a rudimentary knowledge of JW's technique to sound anything remotely like the greatest living composer. 

Instead, concentrate on sounding like someone far more worthy; yourself.

Why? Because people are always trying so hard to make their scores sound like E fucking T, that they don't look back down the road to see where JW came from. They want the cake, but they have no interest in the recipe.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I bet Desplat watched that video before starting work on Rogue One.

He has not a single chance to write one day like John Williams.  His style is as the straight opposite of the one of Williams.

I'm not saying it's bad.

It's just so... European. :sarcasm:

Why are people so seemingly offended by this video? The fella is simply talking about very basic aspects of Williams' style and offering a brief and easy to grasp 10 min tutorial (YouTube is full of tutorials) for anyone interested. He isn't downplaying the skill of Williams or being critical of his talent, there is no cynical agenda. Jesus, chill dafuq out! 

I hear what you are saying, Lee, but it's not possible to distill a 55-plus year career into 10 minutes. At the very most you concentrate on the  "essential", or popular JW, and that is simply not fair on the man, his music, or his work.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You hate Europe, don't you?

Not at all. But I don't think Desplat could be of one John Williams's successor. His style is too much different.

Any way, no one can pretend to be the successor of John Williams, he's unique!

When he will be gone, this will be the end of an era in modern film music.

@BloodBoal Well, I didn't listen the same music as you!

I'm not an expert of Desplat music, but for what I listened, he seems to often write little cyclic tunes, with not much emphase on the melodies, but rather on the mood.

It has more to do with french dances than big romantic fanfares and virtuosity.

If Desplat can imitate the dark side of John Williams, he will never be as luminous.

He scored a darker Harry Potter.... he will score a darker Star Wars. It serve the purpose, but the best ones have been written by JW.

14 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You want luminous Desplat? Listen to The Monuments Men.

I know only the Opening Titles from this score. It's a comedy, no?

Ok, I will listen to the entire album this morning on Spotify.

14 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I don't want to write like John Williams. I want to write better than him (wishful thinking, I know).

Are you Asian?

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Shouldn't that be:

"You become your own thing by imitating badly other stuff you admire"?

Grammar and spelling tend not to be best friends with composers.

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Shouldn't that be:

"You become your own thing by imitating badly other stuff you admire"?

If you're gonna change the word order to maximize clarity, I'd put "badly" in front "imitating." Putting an adverb between a transitive verb and its object just sounds weird.

14 hours ago, Jilal said:

Grammar and spelling tend not to be best friends with composers.

Plus croc's comment wasn't even necessarily a direct quote. ;)

Even if it was DD probably would have added "badly" as a witty afterthought. Hard to always say exactly what you mean in real time.

18 hours ago, Richard said:

Take a ticket, get in line, and be prepared to wait for a very, very, very long time.

Is this a healthy and worthwhile response to admirable ambition and drive in a young composer, or is it pointless aggrandizing and poisonous malarkey? 

5 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Is this a healthy and worthwhile response to admirable ambition and drive in a young composer, or is it pointless aggrandizing and poisonous malarkey? 

On 24/08/2016 at 9:00 PM, Richard said:

Instead, concentrate on sounding like someone far more worthy; yourself.

I'm not implying anything. I'm stating that attempting to sound like JW is pointless, and futile. Instead, create your own musical identity.

Still, if you are going to try to sound like (or better than) someone else, it might as well be JW.

I'm just trying to set the bar high. Even if I don't end up sounding better than johnny, I'll still end up sounding better than a lot of people. I don't sound very good right now though haha.

Hammy, it's nice to emulate someone you admire. I wanted to be so much like the colleagues that I work with, but I soon realised that I hadn't a snowball's chance, so, I decided to be like the one person I could be like.

If I could chose, I'd write music like my favourite guitarist, but what's the point? It's been done, so why bother?

But, like I said...if you aim high, at least you'll get somewhere. You are trying, and I respect you for that. In these days of lazy-ass, maximum-return-for-minimum-effort, that means a lot.

I'll be the first to apologise on the night you win your first Oscar! :D