The Summer of 2016: Box Office

http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-dash/hollywood-gave-up-on-you-the-summer-movies-of-2016

Short but interesting article detailing why this year was very disappointing when it comes to the big blockbuster fare.

Last year wasnt that great, but for some reason Jurassic World made loads of money, and we at least had a masterpiece like Mad Max: Fury Road to marvel at (no pun intended)

This year the studios mostly seemed to aim on bigger = better. And none of it is really memorable at all.

There's something incredible stale and predictable about the modern summer blockbuster. It's not that they are retelling a story we have seen 20 times before, that's always been the case with Hollywood, but that they tell the story with such a lack of style and substance. I dont expect a big summer movie to be a piece of art, but I do like it with some sense of directorial flair.

Star Trek Beyond is a very nice film, but the direction by Justin Lin is fairly workman-like.

Independence Day Resurgence feels like Emmerich made it 100% on auto-pilot

X-Men Apocalypse lacked whatever it was that made Singer previous X-Men so darn entertaining

Visually i liked Batman v Superman, but there's a lot wrong with it structurally.

Captain America: Civil War again felt very workman-like, missing that edge that The Winter Soldier did have

Jason Bourne was technically flawless, but didnt offer anything new. Paycheck film for everyone involved.

These are big, expensive films, some of them made by big expensive directors, who seem unable or unwilling to fully invest or are no longer allowed to fully show off their talent and vision. Do they even have a vision? Say what you want about The BFG, It's Spielberg showing his skills as a visual artist and a story teller.

The rest is all like...2 slices of white bread, margarine and a slice of Edam cheese. Yes it's food, but you eat it and then move on. Never thinking about it ever again.

I haven't seen "Finding Dory", yet. How does this fit in with the Summer films?

There are certainty a lot of underperforming movies. Maybe audiences are waking up to the fact that an Edam sarnie on white, simply isn't good enough, anymore? 

Geez, it took a while..

Well yes and no. Anything that isnt a superhero movie is underperforming. So I guess it's just a trend thing.

I mean Suicide Squad was savaged in the reviews, but it's made 580 million dollars so far.

From what i've read Finding Dory is just like Finding Nemo, but lacking that certain magic.

I agree with basically everything except Civil War was my favorite MCU movie yet.  I'm not a superfan (of the MCU) by any means, I just see each movie once or twice and like what I like; and I really liked that one. **shrug**

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I'll tell you in 2017, Richard. There's no rush. I don't live and die by watching big summer movies.

Heck, Alex, I haven't seen a film at the cinema since "High Rise". Can't afford it.

No!

I choose to spend my money on other pastimes. Besides, £2 to rent a DVD at my local library, is good enough for me.

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

Heck, Alex, I haven't seen a film at the cinema since "High Rise". Can't afford it.

No!

I choose to spend my money on other pastimes. Besides, £2 to rent a DVD at my local library, is good enough for me.

Wait a sec, you have to pay to check out movies from the library?  The entire point at least here in the US is that it's free.

When I was young, VHS at the library was paid.  Much cheaper than the video store, but smaller selection.  CDs and cassettes were always free with membership.

Now, DVDs are free too.

Good article.  Seems they fail to mention Civil War by name, perhaps because it was genuinely entertaining.  Maybe its early release date puts it further from memory, but I thoroughly enjoyed that one. 

While I enjoyed Stranger Things, it's sad to me that attention is shifting towards television.  Maybe because growing up, cinema was where you'd go to get better production values and stories that just couldn't be done on TV.  It's kinda hard wired in my brain that movies are events, while TV shows are time passers.  I also am the type of person who will rewatch favorite 2 hour films on blu-ray, but am I gonna watch all of the Walking Dead again?  Or Stranger Things for that matter?  (I could pop in an old Carpenter flick or E.T. and get just as much enjoyment in 2 hours rather than 8.

I hope Summer Blockbuster cinema still has some life left in it.  I grew up with it.

I think I have a greater affection for blockbusters released in November/December:

Toy Stories 1 and 2

Titanic/Avatar

LOTR/Hobbit movies

Harry Potters 1, 2, 4, and 7

All James Bond movies from Goldeneye to now

Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Hunger Games movies if you're into them (I'm not)

And of course now we're getting a Star Wars basically every December.