RIP Gene Wilder

mrbellamy

So saddened by this, I loved this guy to bits! One of my very favourites of comedy. I'm going to watch Stir Crazy. RIP to a legendary comedy actor, a real icon of American cinema. 

1 hour ago, Lonnegan said:

So saddened by this, I loved this guy to bits! One of my very favourites of comedy. I'm going to watch Stir Crazy. RIP to a legendary comedy actor, a real icon of American cinema. 

Can't say much more than this. He was a very special actor and crucial to my childhood. So many classic films. RIP. 

Huge bummer but not unexpected given his condition. Easily one of the greatest comedic actors ever. His Willy Wonka will forever be stamped on my psyche.

"So shines a good deed in a weary world." RIP

4 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

He's in Bonnie and Clyde. Steals it for a little while too, no mean feat. 

I was about to mention that because I only watched it recently.

I like the story about Jack Warner telling Warren Beatty that he made a "three-piss picture".

This news breaks my heart. I loved Gene Wilder as a young girl. He had the most amazing eyes. They were eccentric, zany, gentle, and warm all at the same time. Much like his persona. He hasn't worked in a long time but I shall still miss him terribly. 

?

Wow. I wasn't able to get in here over the past few days, and expected a couple of pages by now. . . .

Most people my age remember him fondly from their childhood as Willy Wonka, but he was always George Caldwell to me. I cut my Wilder teeth on Silver Streak, a movie my dad first showed me when I was about 8 years old. It kicked off the Wilder/Pryor partnership and my lifelong love of Gene's work. He played the naive foil to Pryor's streetwise (if silly) schtick so perfectly, so many times. He was comedy's everyday man, quietly making it look easy for all these years. I wasn't aware he was as ill as he apparently was--he's been giving lucid and intelligent interviews for years now. I'll miss him dearly.