Sign in to follow this  
Jay

STRANGER THINGS

I really enjoyed the first season of this and am looking forward to the next, despite some misgivings (one specific to the show, the other a larger-scale wondering). Related to the show itself, I wonder if an anthology approach may have suited it better (and I think I have seen this suggested elsewhere). I don't know how big a story the Duffer Brothers had planned from the start; I get the impression they have always had a general arc in mind, but season 1 still felt self-contained until the coda in the last episode involving Will and his psychological state. Maybe it will all turn right in the end. Who knows.

On a wider note, I wonder if this series and its success is a precursor of what we have to look forward to as people who around the Duffer Brothers' age become more prominent in entertainment and beginning doing more work (I feel like I can say this without sounding all "Get off my lawn!" because they are only a year older than me). Will others of their generation just reimagine and remix everything they grew up loving and put a new veneer on it? I get the feeling this may all be complaining over nothing because this sort of thing has happened before, but it just seems like it will be more blatant as this particular demographic gains influence. The advertising campaign for season 2, with all the posters mimicking the 80s touchstones they were influenced by, hasn't helped me get past this concern. It's a whole other conversation, probably.

I think it's an interesting conversation.

Personally, I'd say there's SOO much TV these days, I think there's gonna always be something for everyone.  For every new nostalgia reliant show, there will be plenty of interesting original ones too. 

On 9/25/2017 at 2:41 AM, Jay said:

I think it's an interesting conversation.

Personally, I'd say there's SOO much TV these days, I think there's gonna always be something for everyone.  For every new nostalgia reliant show, there will be plenty of interesting original ones too. 

Yeah. It's not a zero sum game.

On one hand, Hollywood studios are putting out less and less films every year, and they're mostly hanging their hat on tent pole blockbusters. This necessarily takes money away from other, smaller projects.  So if your complaint is that superhero movies are taking resources from more original fare....well, it's a valid complaint. 

But as you said, there's so much quality TV out there right now, being produced by so many different studios and airing on so many different networks, across every platform imaginable, that if you don't like one show there's plenty of others to choose from. There literally is something for everyone.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:14 AM, Disco Stu said:

I still haven't watched any of this.  Is it really that good?

No one is going to accuse it of being original, but it is certainly well-written and well-acted. And the more technical aspects are strong as well. I don't put much stock in the complaints that it didn't have an orchestral score, because I think the show is a little too slight to support that approach. The synths work just fine.