Sign in to follow this  
pete

The Joe Hisaishi Thread

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a thread dedicated specifically to Joe Hisiashi.

To kick things off, I just came across this unexpected report from Taiwain about a recent Hisaishi concert:

“Now I have listened to garbage trucks for the first time during a concert; I will remember this for the rest of my life,” another said.

On 30/10/2017 at 7:03 PM, Kühni said:

Annual reminder to watch this fabulous concert again... ;)

Yep that concert video is great ! 

I feel lucky to have been able to attend this one this year. It's also been recorded but it's not on youtube though.

Joe Hisaishi is coming to America! He will be in San Jose in May. Looks like tickets are going fast.

http://soundtrackfest.com/en/news/joe-hisaishi-in-concert-in-california-may-2018/

I have written a report about the same concert in Paris for who is interested:

https://soundtrackworld.com/2017/06/joe-hisaishi-symphonic-concert-paris/

Thank you for the kind words.

The concert is not amplified?! That would be awesome. I already had the date marked on my calendar when the tickets go on sale.

Someone also pointed me to a concert in New York that he will do in October:

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2018/10/29/JOE-HISAISHI-SYMPHONY-CONCERT-MUSIC-FROM-THE-STUDIO-GHIBLI-FILMS-OF-HAYAO-MIYAZAKI-0800PM

My favorite track of his is the 1:38-long Track 1, The Legend of Ashitaka, but it's been banned online for so long now, only the poor version remains.

The original is freaking epic. Right when that title appears, the main theme breaks off the cymbals and the strings glide over the warm horns and their counter melody. Then the melody becomes legendary.

I also really love Track 3, Journey to the West, but again--the original, not these weaker remakes posted on YouTube. Some Eastern Borodin styles in there, but as if they meet the spiritual rains and mists of Japan. I imagine the scenery the music evokes, the movie doesn't do the music justice.

jHvnryZ.png

I don't even want to listen to remakes by Hisaishi because they diminish the brilliance of the original OSTs.

I would go for the end credits track of that CD. The 1-minute awesomeness is extended with a couple of minutes in that track. It is also the first track of the Symphonic Suite CD. I am blessed with both CDs (and a connection in Japan) This album is my all time favorite.

In the meantime, I have finished my report of the concert last month in Paris. Last concerts I have attended of Hisaishi he always has the cello and double bass players on the far right side of him. For who likes to read it: https://soundtrackworld.com/2019/03/joe-hisaishi-paris-2019/

JoeHisaishi-Paris-2019-002-450x250.jpg

As more of a snippets/moments guy, personally I think there's nothing in the End Credits that can top the build-up and release of the Main Theme in the 1st track. It's like one of the most epic sounds I've ever heard. This is why I hate rating tracks and pieces, it's much more reasonable to compare snippets (like 10 sec of your favorite moments from music.) Every piece is made of great sounds, and each sound is its own thing to compare and value. A piece at every moment can bend into other many possible variations, so the whole doesn't matter as much as how each sequence flows into the other.

It's like why I think the Leia's Theme double-melodic moment of the Star Wars Main Theme Suite is the best thing Williams has ever written. But the Star Wars Main Suite itself is not his best track. Best track, I don't really care.