The Joe Hisaishi Thread

pete

My colleague has gone nuts over this film, as have many critics. Looking forward to seeing it myself, hopefully on the big screen, but if not on a streaming service some day.

I sampled the soundtrack awhile back, and it didn't do much for me. I can picture it working well in the film, but there wasn't a lot happening on album. I'll probably give it a few more tries eventually.

Listening now, almost at the end of the OST album.  It's nice, lovely music.  This will be my only listen until I see the film.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish more people would watch this movie and post about the score in this thread! 

I feel like this score is truly unique among Joe Hisaishi's work for Studio Ghibli in that it has some elements characteristic of his past work, while also being pervasively contemplative, somber, restrained, ans striking in style while also being almost entirely devoid of the child-like, lyrical warmth of his past Ghibli works.

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

I wish more people would watch this movie and post about the score in this thread! 

I feel like this score is truly unique among Joe Hisaishi's work for Studio Ghibli in that it has some elements characteristic of his past work, while also being pervasively contemplative, somber, restrained, ans striking in style while also being almost entirely devoid of the child-like, lyrical warmth of his past Ghibli works.

I listened to this score when it first released online during the summer. I remember thinking this was a very minimalist score for a film that was described as a very fantastical film on the level of Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle. After watching the film, I definitely enjoyed and understood the minimalism of the score more. However, I can't help but think that Hisaishi and Miyazaki could've easily went harder on the lyrical and thematic route. My favorite track from the OST is: 

That said, this score and film was just nominated for best original Score and best animated film at the Golden Globes. Congrats, Hisaishi and Miyazaki!

I really liked how the score is used in the movie. The restrained use of piano and strings only for the first half leads to a gradual opening of the orchestral colour in the second half that matches our gradual discovery of the fantasy. Gorgeous!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been about 9 months already since the announcement of Hisaishi's partnership with DG. I hope there'll be another release soon - and hopefully one that includes the symphony.

• 3 weeks later...

Hisaishi composed the music for the new Japanese film Silent Love (not to be confused with the main theme from A Scene at the Sea (1991)). The soundtrack is available on streaming platforms. VGMdb has the detailed credits.

The soundtrack album is only 31 minutes long and is quite minimalistic (in the vein of The Boy and the Heron). Don't expect hummable melodies.

The electric guitar in Opening (track 1) and Blue (track 15) reminds me a bit of Clint Mansell's The Wrestler.

I can't see myself listening to this album regularly, but frankly any new Hisaishi release is to be treasured.

Joe Hisaishi is playing two nights in November 2024 at the Royal Albert Hall... tickets go on general release tomorrow, but as a member of the Royal Albert Hall have already bought mine (astonishingly expensive, but sure it'll be worth it!). https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2024/joe-hisaishi/

5 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Joe Hisaishi is playing two nights in November 2024 at the Royal Albert Hall... tickets go on general release tomorrow, but as a member of the Royal Albert Hall have already bought mine (astonishingly expensive, but sure it'll be worth it!). https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2024/joe-hisaishi/

Can I ask how “astonishingly expensive”? Was pondering signing up as a patron to get early access, but having seen JH at Wembley Arena last year, I’m not sure how much I’m willing to pay to see him again.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

19 minutes ago, APBez said:

Can I ask how “astonishingly expensive”? Was pondering signing up as a patron to get early access, but having seen JH at Wembley Arena last year, I’m not sure how much I’m willing to pay to see him again.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

The pretty decent tickets were around £100 (which is what I got) and think the cheapest were about £50. Really good seats were more like £200.

Interesting to compare with the cost to see Simon Rattle and the LSO in a couple of weeks where the most expensive seats were only £70 something. And I got a great seat for £55. 

28 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The pretty decent tickets were around £100 (which is what I got) and think the cheapest were about £50. Really good seats were more like £200.

Interesting to compare with the cost to see Simon Rattle and the LSO in a couple of weeks where the most expensive seats were only £70 something. And I got a great seat for £55. 

Thanks for that. As you say, quite steep. Suspect he’s got the bug for London now and he’ll return quite frequently. Perhaps I’ll wait.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is it good?

As you are interested in minimal music I would strongly recommend it to you.

But you might get distracted by the combination of the required precision of the music and the Vienna flubbs.

So no release of the film stuff from the Vienna concert then? Would be nice to have that as well, but the main important thing is that we're getting the symphony.

Official page:

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/catalogue/products/joe-hisaishi-in-vienna-13386

PS: Philip Glass and Dennis Russel Davies recently visited him:

A post shared by Philip Glass (@philipglass)

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5TQyBbARgF

With video:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5GGP-iyai_/

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So no release of the film stuff from the Vienna concert then? Would be nice to have that as well, but the main important thing is that we're getting the symphony.

Official page:

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/catalogue/products/joe-hisaishi-in-vienna-13386

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a recording of his first symphony?

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a recording of his first symphony?

I don't know; I don't even know how many he's written (there seems to be at least a third from what I remember).

Anyway, today seems to be Hisaishi news day:

https://www.rpo.co.uk/news-and-press/879-joe-hisaishi-composer-in-association

RPO appoints Joe Hisaishi as Composer-in-Association

We are pleased to announce that Joe Hisaishi, Japan’s most influential composer of film and classical music, has been appointed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO) as our Composer-in-Association.

Joe Hisaishi is a revered Japanese composer who produced all the music for the magical Studio Ghibli animations of Oscar-winning director Hayao Miyazaki. The appointment follows a successful collaboration on the ‘Symphonic Celebration’ album released on the Deutsche Grammophon label, after which the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra invited Joe Hisaishi to become its Composer-in-Association. The three-year appointment will include new commissions for the RPO, concerts in London and around the world, studio recordings as well as Maestro Hisaishi’s involvement in new digital and technology based RPO projects.

This appointment is the latest in a series of strategic additions to the RPO’s leadership team - following the appointment of Sarah Bardwell as the RPO’s new Managing Director and the recently appointed Director of Artistic Planning & Partnerships, Tom Philpott.

The coming together of Joe Hisaishi and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra marks the start of a very special partnership. This weekend’s RPO concerts with Joe Hisaishi in Paris have sold more than 37,000 tickets and the RPO/Hisaishi Royal Albert Hall concerts later this year have already sold out.

Tom Philpott, Director of Artistic Planning and Partnerships at the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra said: ‘We are thrilled to welcome Joe Hisaishi to the RPO – an enormously talented conductor, composer and pianist and a ground-breaking artist in terms of opening up the world of orchestral music to more diverse audiences. Maestro Hisaishi’s arrival will make a significant contribution towards realising the RPO’s mission to enrich lives through orchestral experiences that are uncompromising in their excellence and inclusive in their appeal.’

Joe Hisaishi commented: ‘I am deeply honoured to become Composer-in-Association with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. I am very much looking forward to collaborating with this wonderful Orchestra on some very exciting projects.’

Kleopatra Sofroniou, General Manager Classics, Deutsche Grammophon adds: ‘The team at DG congratulates Joe Hisaishi on this exciting new artistic partnership with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. We are pleased that Joe’s collaboration with the Orchestra on his debut album for our label was the start of something bigger - and it’s wonderful that news of this new relationship comes on the same day as we announce Joe’s second DG album “Joe Hisaishi in Vienna,“ including world premiere recordings of two of his newest compositions.’

And from the Facebook announcements of the new album:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1624465498354635

In his new upcoming DG album Joe Hisaishi conducts the Wiener Symphoniker in his Symphony No. 2 live at the legendary Vienna Musikverein. World class violist Antoine Tamestit joins the performers in the recording of Viola Saga.

So the symphony is indeed the Musikverein live performance I attended last year. The video shows that Viola Saga was recorded at the Konzerthaus, without an audience.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So the symphony is indeed the Musikverein live performance I attended last year

Will we hear you coughing?

17 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Will we hear you coughing?

I don't cough during live performances. (And if I really have to, I pick a spot where you won't be able to hear it)