Scores that you'd like to see get a release, but never will

Giftheck

Just a curious thought here that I thought would make for an interesting discussion. What scores do you guys really want to see released, but know that it will never, ever come to pass? The one score I know full-well will never get a release but I would really like to see released is the score for Digimon: The Movie. The movie itself sucks, even to a longtime fan, and the score did indeed end up butchered in the film (a lot of it was reused in the second series so you can still hear a lot of the unused moments - if you can pick them apart from the original score, which I believe was recorded at the same time), but I find a lot of the pieces oddly catching. It's a score which has only ever half-leaked through composer's websites and various cues that were given to certain people (I myself received about fifteen minutes of music from Udi Harpaz). The rights to it are all over the place: in the early 2000s, Disney bought the rights to Saban, but when Saban bought back the rights, Disney wound up keeping Saban Music Group's masters. The publishing rights currently sit with BMG.

Another one never likely to see the light of day that I think should is the score to Spider-Man 3. I really loved Christopher Young's work on it, even if he was worked hard by Sam Raimi . It is true that there is a recording sessions leak out there thanks to a certain website that I shan't name (you all know it anyway but as we're not trying to advocate piracy here I'll keep it off here). But once again the full score has never surfaced and as I understand it there are certain legal issues with the score that pretty much permanently prevent it from ever being released.

TV series-wise, I'd love a release of the score to seasons 3, 4 and 5 of the now-defunct Primeval (we got a CD that covers music from the first and second seasons and some from season 3)

Mark Thomas's scores to the two Doc Martin films.

The films have long since been overshadowed by the television series (scored by Colin Towns).

http://coolmusicltd.com/wp-content/uploads/MT-TV-CUE-05-DOC-MARTIN-TRK-01.mp3

As for Spidey 3, I've never really looked at the score... I know film mixes of certain cues are markedly different from what you can find on bootlegs, but are there any substantial differences?

1 minute ago, Skelly said:

Mark Thomas's scores to the two Doc Martin films.

The films have long since been overshadowed by the television series (scored by Colin Towns).

http://coolmusicltd.com/wp-content/uploads/MT-TV-CUE-05-DOC-MARTIN-TRK-01.mp3

I heard about those films and I've been thinking of seeing them (even if Martin isn't the curmudgeon we all know by now). They don't seem to be easy to obtain.

1 minute ago, Gistech said:

I heard about those films and I've been thinking of seeing them (even if Martin isn't the curmudgeon we all know by now). They don't seem to be easy to obtain.

They're very different from the television series... a lot more whimsical. They're less focused on medical mysteries and more on weird goings-on.

I was fortunate to watch them on Netflix back when they were on their streaming platform.

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Howard Shore's King Kong.  

Isn't that confirmed as coming from Howe Records this year?

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

JW: Storia di una donna

My number 1 pick too.

But let's not lose hope. Maybe at some point, we'll be able to crowdfund a re-recording or something.

Let's say it's true that John Williams boycotts a release of THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS. Maybe he'll make sure that, once he passes, his estate will continue to uphold the "ban" for years to come. Then it won't be available untill it becomes public domain, and by then we're all dead and buried. Depressing thought.

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

My number 1 pick too.

But let's not lose hope. Maybe at some point, we'll be able to crowdfund a re-recording or something.

Crowdfunding, I think, would be the only way to get it off the ground.  It's not a well known score, or a well known movie.  A self-funded recording and release by the usual-suspects would be a surefire cash loss for them, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

(adopts feminine-sounding voice)

A whaaaat?

Tell me more.

He's referring to a discussion back in the 90s(?) where this film was supposed to be scored by Williams, but ended up in the hands of Joe Jackson. I can't remember any details anymore or if it was just urban legend.

Franck Marchal's score for the IMAX film Sea Rex.

Saw it years ago during the 3D phase, and the music was very memorable.

And Edmund Butt's score to the BBC's Life on Mars. A couple of score cues made it onto the songtracks.

'Click' by Rupert Gregson-Williams. It has the feel of Newman, with a splash of Horner.

I remember actually tearing up in the cinema, and at an Adam Sandler film! Well come to think of it, I actually tear up whenever I watch 50 First Dates. Jesus I'm sensitive. 

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

'Click' by Rupert Gregson-Williams. It has the feel of Newman, with a splash of Horner.

I remember actually tearing up in the cinema, and at an Adam Sandler film! Well come to think of it, I actually tear up whenever I watch 50 First Dates. Jesus I'm sensitive. 

In his raft of duds, he almost miraculously came up with a semi-decent flick like Click.

Sounds stupid but trevor rabin's g force

watched that movie when it came out, was stupid silly but the score sounded cool and the main theme was pretty good and heroic sounding. Theres plenty of bootlegs out there but i wish there would have been an album release of it. It's a score thats most comparable to a soundtrack like bolt (2008).

6 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

Sounds stupid but trevor rabin's g force 

It's not stupid, at all. If you like it, you like it.

Personally, I prefer his "group" work, if you know what I mean?

Are you looking forward to ARW?

19 hours ago, Nick66 said:

Dead Poet's Society (only about 20 min has been released)

I think that's all that was composed; the only thing missing is the David Hykes cue used twice in the film.

I want an Intrada release of Christopher Young's Spider-Man 3 score. Even with the post-production tinkering, the way Young incorporated Elfman's material into his own was inspired and quite thrilling. 

It's just pathetic how Sony doesn't want to pay to use Elfman's material. Raimi's Spider-Man movies grossed a collective $2.5 billion, and yet paying a five figure royalty is like pulling teeth to them regarding a CD release.