The Austin Wintory Thread

Faleel

I can almost read his post now: "How dare you spotlight one of my favorite composers, and enable others to enjoy his work!!"

1 hour ago, Fennel Ka said:

Apparently Wintory's Bandcamp catalog is free until Monday in celebration of his Birthday:

https://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/

Terrific. It's a perfect time to get some of his stuff then.

Karol

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes he used a chamber choir consisting of the London Voice members, a harp ensemble led by Skaila Kanga and oboe solos by Kristin Naigus plus the Nashville Scoring Orchestra so this was cross-Atlantic collaboration of forces. :)

It is also great that he used Enūma Eliš, the Babylonian creation myth, as source for the choral lyrics instead of the group just singing oohs and aahs. Plus it gives the music additional subtextual depth.

Well there is nothing wrong with their performance!

It's not Orlando Pops!

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Don't get the continuous outpouring of love for this from Incanus and Karol. It's all nice and pleasant, but it was already done before, and better, with Journey.

Lazy thinking.  The two scores are leagues apart in tone and color.  It has more in common with Flow but even that's tenuous.  

Four people express liking a score. Yes very suspect indeed.

While both Journey and Abzû try to achieve a similar atmosphere and immersive feel, they go about realizing it very differently tone-wise.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So it's the typical NeoJWfan overreaction?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So KK, Karol, Inky and you love it?

Thats slightly suspect...

Inky has seen the truth and become young, so that he may expand his musical horizons for the better, by embracing the only true way.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So it's the typical NeoJWfan overreaction?

No matter your tastes, it's as good this kind of writing goes these days. For me, tonally, it's somewhere between more otherwordly passages of A.I. clashed with watery Thomas Newman. With a tiny tiny pinch of Howard Shore's choral splendour. And, at the same time, it sounds nothing like any of the above.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

it's somewhere between more otherwordly passages of A.I. clashed with watery Thomas Newman. With a tiny tiny pinch of Howard Shore's choral splendour. And, at the same time, it sounds nothing like any of the above.

That is just meaningless noise! Something cannot be like something, but also unlike something.

Try again please!

It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills,
And empty holes it fills.
It comes first and follows after,
Ends life, kills laughter.

That's Wintory's Abzû score!

7 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Lazy thinking.  The two scores are leagues apart in tone and color.  It has more in common with Flow but even that's tenuous.  

I disagree. The game is a carbon copy of Flower and Journey. I'd much rather listen to Wintory's AC Syndicate. 

1 hour ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

The games are similar?  Ok, but what about the music, specifically, is it that you find is similar other than the usual artifacts of a distinctive compositional style?

It's ifentical, dude. Like Star Wars and Superman!

Karol

2 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

The games are similar?  Ok, but what about the music, specifically, is it that you find is similar other than the usual artifacts of a distinctive compositional style?

I haven't fully explored it away from the game, but that's because I find that it serves the exact same function in terms of mood and tone. Meditative with great orchestral color, but this time around, a lack of clear narrative progression and visceral impact.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Truth often is....

But what is truth? And which truth? And who's? Perhaps everything you say is the truth. Perhaps everything you say is a lie? How do we discover this? Alas.

• 4 months later...

Despite the game looking really silly that clip sounds really fun and unique. And it is another interesting choice of ensemble and soloist with the accordion.

• 4 months later...