THE GREAT JWFAN STUDIO DEBATE.

Naïve Old Fart

Blood's comments on THE HOBBIT recordings, got me thinking.

What studios really get the best out of an orchestra, or is the sound of a score determined in its remixing?

Does it depend on the talents of the engineer, or the quality of the mixing-desk?

Ideas, anyone?

So...are you saying that it doesn't really matter what studio a OST is recorded in? Does Abbey Rd. "sound" different to, say CTS, or is it the placement of the orchestra, of even the micing of the orchestra?

I will admit that whether it's recorded in London, or America, a JW OST sounds just like what it is...a JW OST.

I just can't help thinking that the physical space that music is recorded in, does affect the overall sound.

Haven't I made a thread about this, or do I just bring it up often? 

Anyway, in London, Watford has the ultimate sound.  In LA it was the late Todd-AO, now it's probably Fox.  

And it's not at all easy to "mix out" a room.  The space plays a huge role.  It's not just about reverb.  The materials, shape, size of the room color the sound of the ensemble itself.  

The LOTR scores sound great, but I'm not sure I know enough about audio production to separate the skill of the orchestra (and soloists and choir, which I understand were often recorded separately) from the acoustics of the room and the skill of the mixers (there's no way that reverb is entirely natural).

That said, I have a number of recordings from Chicago Symphony Hall that sound phenomenal, all sounding like I'm attending a personal performance by the CSO.  Sadly, Lincoln is the only film score I know of that they've recorded.

That's a useful method when you want each part of the ensemble to be a discrete element with its own sonic and acoustic characteristics, be it a soloist or orchestral section.  Something like Interstellar could not have been achieved without this approach, which obviously owes a lot to modern recording technology and the recording studio revolution.  It makes for a deep and engrossing soundscape when done well. 

However, I can't at all condone the recording of an essentially symphonic ensemble, in a traditionally symphonic context, group by group.  There's just no reason for that, as there's also no reason to have a billion mics all over the place even when you do have everyone in the same room.  

Whatever you're worried about compensating for with these methods, fix it through conducting or orchestration or actual composition instead.  Record simply, mix simply, and if those other things have been done well, that's all you need. 

Whether or not you like the artificially added reverb, the value of the room in those cases, again, is to color the sound of the ensemble itself in non-acoustic ways, like a natural EQ, that then lends itself more to additional processing.  A group recorded in a small, brittle room which you then pump through a reverb unit with a lush setting will sound quite unnatural.  

Poorly worded, I mean "acoustic" here strictly as reverb and reflections. 

It's why a lot of people have trouble with "dry" libraries like VSL and SM.  You can slap reverb on them, but the dry source itself is still the sound of an instrument recorded in a room with little to no reflections, and so they have a strange "body" quality.  EQ before reverb helps this, or totally killing the dry signal in some cases.  

Same thing with real recordings.  If you have a tiny, nasal room to record in, you'd better manipulate that initial recording before you try to virtually place it in a cathedral or something.  I know there are examples of recordings where this has been done badly but I can't come up with any names at the moment.  It's an awful, shrill, brittle sound.