Indiana Jones Animated Short coming September 29th

Temple Raider

The concept art looks good -- very much in the mold of the old Lucasarts adventure games from the 90s which I used to play obsessively. The film itself seems to be a cross between a fan project and something associated with Lucasfilm. In either case, I'm curious to see the result, even if it's only 20 minutes -- and also if they've commisioned someone to do a score, or just using MIDI versions of the Williams themes or whatever.

Just now, Jay said:

Why?  A retread of a world he's already visited 4 times vs a completely new world for him?

+1

Not to mention the likelihood of a 5th Indy score in 2.5 years.

Looks like fun! 

I've said for a while now that something akin to the Tintin movie would allow Ford to 'play' Indy again without the obvious physical limitations that his age now brings.  

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I said a while ago I'd be absolutely fine if Indiana Jones 5 was a full mo-cap movie made with Ford, a la Tintin. In fact given Ford's age, I'd prefer it. 

I couldn't disagree more. It's pretty awesome to be able to age with a character, with all that entails. Perhaps with less focus on the physical action and more on other aspects.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I said a while ago I'd be absolutely fine if Indiana Jones 5 was a full mo-cap movie made with Ford, a la Tintin. In fact given Ford's age, I'd prefer it. 

Well, Tintin was what Indy 4 should have been. So I agree.

Karol

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

I couldn't disagree more. It's pretty awesome to be able to age with a character, with all that entails. Perhaps with less focus on the physical action and more on other aspects.

Indiana Jones is an action man though, Thor. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Indiana Jones is an action man though, Thor. 

He can also be other things, and there are other ways to approach the character and the "action". THE YOUNG INDY series is proof thereof.

Indy 5 needs to embrace Indy's age with a story that echoes Eastwood's Unforgiven. Forced out of retirement for one last adventure, give Indy some personal stakes for crying out loud.

There was very little emotional investment with the character in KOTCS and the handling of the Mutt revelation was absolute trite. I much preferred the idea of Indy having an estranged daughter. Heck, even LeBeouf said a daughter made more storytelling sense than a son, after the third film dealt with Indy and his dad.

And no, I don't consider rescuing some old fling from the world's most unthreatening villains, in the middle of a poorly dressed and lit soundstage, emotionally investing!

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Indy 5 needs to embrace Indy's age with a story that echoes Eastwood's Unforgiven. Forced out of retirement for one last adventure, give Indy some personal stakes for crying out loud.

Exactly!

For my part, I could see Ford doing this role untill he was in his 90s (incidentally the same age as the "old Indy" in the television series) -- but obviously with a script that took that into consideration. There's too much 'ageism' around, and too few older actors doing good roles because they're being marginalized or just do lackluster stuff for the quick cash. Few things please me more than seeing old, seasoned actors challenge themselves in roles long after they could have retired in any normal job.

Despite all the CGI, the ants/knuckle fight in the fourth film is one of the few times Spielberg recreates the feel of the old trilogy; Ford looks great here, he's clearly doing the scene himself (not some digital face replacement) and there's no goofy running/swinging around that's clearly a stunt double (like most of the Warehouse escape).

It's also the film's only violent scene, and I like that Indy feigns exhaustion when knocked on the ground (only to follow it up with a cheap shot). I've got no issue with Ford's age and scenes like this prove he can still kick ass; a bare-knuckle fight (albeit series tradition) makes perfect sense for the character now, it's an example of the film embracing his age. 

Please have more of that (+ gunfights) and much less of the cringeworthy family bickering. Koepp is not your writer if you want dramatic resonance, and get Tom Stoppard to do a polish if you want the script to be funny!

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Didnt you ever read the topic title?

Yes. So? The first post said it probably wouldn't be a full 20 minutes, but I had expected something more than 1 and a half minute "montage". That disappointment aside, I like the animation style (again, very "Lucasarts") and can only hope they'll be able to make a longer version down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a cool short film. But it was way shorter than I had expected! 

The hints at the march but withholding it until the end was a simple but very effective trick.