Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

It's all solid work but it's not what people brings to their knees before JW. None of these guys (and i heard some of that stuff) has that theatrical panache and without it, it's kind of moot.

Haab's music makes me want to listen to Williams' actual music. A few cues in Battlefront err on the edge of sounding like outlines of OT tracks that have no direction or soul.

I think Marianelli would be a great choice!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

How could you hear something that was never recorded?

It might be, one day :)

Hold it! So..AD wrote a score, but he couldn't do reshoots.

That's not "scheduling difficulties", the man was fired. Some tone-deaf see you next Tuesday, who works for The Mouse didn't like his score. Plain and.

22 minutes ago, Nick66 said:

I wonder if the meltdown over this would have been as bad if Gia had simply been the choice from the beginning.  Which I don't think would have surprised anyone.

If Gia had been announced from the start I'd have been disappointed but would have gotten on with things. 

Knowing there's a better version of Rogue One we'll never see (or hear) is tough to take though. 

I dont mind Gia at all and like some of his scores but Desplat is in my top three working composers! 

Well, it seems the schedule thing could be bullshit… 

http://www.lepoint.fr/pop-culture/cinema/star-wars-rogue-one-ce-que-cache-le-depart-brutal-d-alexandre-desplat-16-09-2016-2068991_2923.php

The highlight : 

Il y a un mois à peine, Alexandre Desplat déclinait l'offre d'un long-métrage français en évoquant à demi-mot son immersion ultra-chronophage dans le chantier Rogue One. Son implication semblait totale et rien ne laissait penser qu'il lâcherait l'affaire. « En plein dîner professionnel, il ne cessait de s'absenter de table pour répondre à des appels de Disney depuis Los Angeles. C'était une grosse pression », nous confie un proche du dossier. Le départ de Desplat paraît d'autant plus abrupt et trahit une grande fébrilité en coulisses : « Sur un Star Wars, on ne change pas de compositeur à trois mois de la sortie du film en claquant des doigts, c'est hallucinant ! Des contrats complexes lient les deux parties... Soit Disney l'a viré, soit il jette l'éponge parce qu'il n'en peut plus et ne comprend pas ce que veut Disney, mais il y a forcément eu clash. »

Des rumeurs, là aussi insistantes, font état d'une réorientation de Rogue One vers une tonalité plus « légère ». Ce qui expliquerait la lassitude du compositeur, obligé de tout réadapter à la dernière minute. « Écrire la partition, enregistrer, réserver un orchestre symphonique… tout cela prend du temps. C'est impossible de tout refaire à zéro ! » nous indique-t-on.

« Disney va forcément garder une partie de l'orchestration de Desplat, il travaillait sur ce projet depuis plus d'un an, je ne vois pas comment ils pourraient faire autrement. En tout cas, c'est une immense surprise et ils doivent être très, très en retard. Ça ne m'étonnerait pas que des têtes finissent par tomber. Ça sent un peu le sabotage. »

It says that Desplat was very close to the production for 1 year, was eager to take calls from Di$ney even during formal events and with all the binding paperwork, contracts and such, a move like this would seem very improbable. At some point, the source says, heads might roll (maybe alluding to more than just the unceremonious firing of Desplat).

What it means is that Disney is not going to take any risk with this franchise and will do anything to play it safe and protect their investment.

In about 10 years, after about a dozen big blockbuster movies with the Star Wars brandname attached to them maybe we will catch a glimpse of AOTC on TV and suddenly it won't seem quite so bad. Flawed certainly. But at least someone was trying to do something to make Star Wars more then it was before.....

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

That line about Desplat constantly taking calls from Disney during dinner was interesting. Doesn't he have an agent??

Either way, it's becoming increasingly clear this wasn't a scheduling conflict; there is obviously production turmoil with this film and they're re-shaping it into a safe property with no risks. 

I didn't buy the scheduling conflict as well. Suppose you DO have a scheduling conflict: between a SW score and anything else, who would not choose the SW option? If your goal is to let people hear your music and make money out of it, SW is the greatest opportunities for anyone.

If the French source is reliable, Desplat has been working on SW for more than one year, so he must have at least sketched a lot of stuff, maybe even the whole score. Apart from any comparison between Desplat and Giacchino or whoever else, what makes me sad is that a great professional such as AD might work for so long and have his score binned, with no immediate chances to let anyone hear it. But again, this has happened in the past to North, Goldsmith, Herrmann, Yared... 

Independently of the merits of the music (in principle, a score can be rejected simply because it is bad), in such cases they should just allow the rejected composer to publish at least a suite from his score, maybe some time after the movie opening, so that it can be performed by orchestras. 

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

If you lined up 10 Hollywood executives and said, "We need a traditional John Williams Star Wars score but John doesn't want to do it," at least 9 of them would instantly recommend Giacchino. It's as simple as that.

I agree completely with this statement, however, it got me thinking. Who would you pick for Star Wars "stories" given Williams isn't going to do them and Desplat for whatever reason isn't scoring Rogue One. Going forward....What are our options out there?  I can't think of anyone I would feel comftorable handing over the reins to. I thought Desplat was an interesting choice but I was still cautiously optimistic.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

If you lined up 10 Hollywood executives and said, "We need a traditional John Williams Star Wars score but John doesn't want to do it," at least 9 of them would instantly recommend Giacchino.

Or Bimbo Joe.

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What it means is that Disney is not going to take any risk with this franchise and will do anything to play it safe and protect their investment.

In about 10 years, after about a dozen big blockbuster movies with the Star Wars brandname attached to them maybe we will catch a glimpse of AOTC on TV and suddenly it won't seem quite so bad. Flawed certainly. But at least someone was trying to do something to make Star Wars more then it was before.....

But when Disney became the owner and Lucas would no longer be involved, we were looking forward to a least having competent creative talent leading the direction of the new films.

Now with all this Alien 3 style studio interference, we have neither Lucas' (pseudo) auteurism or competent filmmakers getting their fair go. May as well say Alan Smithee directed it.

Yes, especially the extended cut. Its a "your fucked" of a movie, and it is unrelentingly downbeat, but it has a lot to offer in terms of music, photography, and design...oh, and Paul McGann hamming it up - "it wasn't meeeeeee".

8 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Anyone who thought something other than "film making by committee" was going to happen when Disney bought Lucasfilm was very gullible. 

We don't really know what's happening or how much Disney has to do with it, right?. This could all be Kathleen Kennedy all by herself being a tyrannical despot over Lucasfilm.

On 9/17/2016 at 1:18 AM, aviazn said:

The thought of a climactic escape scene being scored with another of Gia's schmaltzy four-chord string cues, with a single piano note echoing as rebel X-wings go down in flames, etc. makes me shudder.

Well, he might score it more like this -- which would be awesome:

Imagine this with some JW themes!

On 9/17/2016 at 2:13 AM, Jay said:

How could you hear something that was never recorded?

Mock-up demos could leak, right?

On 9/17/2016 at 2:21 PM, mrbellamy said:

So will Rian Johnson get out of his film alive?

Oh right. He's supposedly going "risky" too.

Well, at least we can be sure they won't fire Williams. 

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Williams' contract says they can't fire him. 

Excellent news!

Giacchino, a composer that clearly cares about themes (whether you like his music or not, you can't deny this) replaces a composer that couldn't even remember his own Voldemort theme from Deathly Hallows Pt 1 for Part 2.

No brainer for me.

8 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

a composer that couldn't even remember his own Voldemort theme from Deathly Hallows Pt 1 for Part 2.

Is that true?

34 minutes ago, publicist said:

Hopefully also with JW's sense of structure, counterpoint and less patchy orchestration.

In two months? Granted it's not impossible but I think even Williams would have to rush it a bit if hired at this point in production. 

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

We don't really know what's happening or how much Disney has to do with it, right?. This could all be Kathleen Kennedy all by herself being a tyrannical despot over Lucasfilm.

It might be more like KK saying, "Look everyone, my bosses tell me we have to make a profit of x amount, and I don't think we can be sure of that with the type of film we're making now. So we're going to need to make some big changes."

Just now, Jay said:

Is that true?

It's as true as any of the speculation on here with regards the reasoning for the change and the evil interference of Disney :P

But yeah, Part 2 was lacking the theme he wrote for Voldemort in Part 1. That and I thought his HP scores were pretty uninspired anyway. The only time the music really stood out was when they were tracking or re-recording (I forget which) Williams.

5 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

It's as true as any of the speculation on here with regards the reasoning for the change and the evil interference of Disney :P

But yeah, Part 2 was lacking the theme he wrote for Voldemort in Part 1. That and I thought his HP scores were pretty uninspired anyway. The only time the music really stood out was when they were tracking or re-recording (I forget which) Williams.

And the director of those Potter films obviously had no impact on that. 

Regarding that French news story (http://www.lepoint.fr/pop-culture/cinema/star-wars-rogue-one-ce-que-cache-le-depart-brutal-d-alexandre-desplat-16-09-2016-2068991_2923.php), assuming everything described is true (and I do get the sense that it's a fairly reliable news organization, although anyone who's French can correct me):

I feel terrible for Desplat. To work on this for a year, taking calls seemingly constantly, giving it his all, and then to have everything thrown out? And have the public told it was "scheduling difficulties" and not a firing?

I believe of course that a business's main function is to make money. Disney can and should maximize its investment. But I also believe to at least some extent that when someone is hired to do a job, you should let them do it. 

Also, simply speaking from a fan's perspective, I of course value the "original vision" and having that tampered with is disturbing. 

And it seems like Edwards and Desplat have put a lot into this film and then basically been replaced and had much of their work redone by someone else.

At least Edwards will be lucky enough to get a lot of promotion, presumably, since Disney will want to pretend that he's still completely in charge (and who knows, maybe he is, it just doesn't feel like it). And a lot of what we see in the final film will still be his. 

Desplat's work, on the other hand, will be completely forgotten -- unless Giacchino's score incorporates some of his work, which the French article suggested was a possibility since Desplat worked for so long and Giacchino has so little time. 

It must be so frustrating to be hired, work so hard, and then never see the fruits of your labor in the way you wanted. It's like writing an 100-page essay and then having the whole thing delete off your computer. 

Edwards got paid (or will), I'm sure, but I hope Desplat got paid. MSW reported in the spring/summer that there wasn't a contract yet and that Disney was exploring two other composers (one of which was Giacchino, they confirmed a few days ago). 

Given what we've learned since, I'm starting to legitimately wonder if what's described in this Reddit thread is true, even though it's been ruled fake by the mods b/c of no evidence (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/4m8d6w/forget_all_the_crap_about_people_saying_they_know/