Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

23 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Haters are always more vocal than lovers. For example, people read bad reviews for movies more than good reviews, and the most popular movie related youtube channels are ones that negatively talk about people and films. E.g. Red Letter Media, Honest Trailers, Cinemasins etc. No one really watches youtube film reviews of people praising a film. Negativity is unfortunately more popular than positivity. Basically every single story on the news is negative. The world is full of it.

So clearly those on here who dislike a composer, simply wont shut up about it because they think that more people will read their opinion than if they were praising someone.

Please, not that bullshity manichean worldview again...

New credit block:

R1.JPG

I wonder if the OST will favor cues that don't use JW themes over ones that do?  Or heavily feature ones that do? 

Ideally, the OST would feature lots of cues that do feature Williams themes, and the FYC will premiere lots of cues that don't.

I guess the biggest question is if he'll use the Death Star motif or not, and if he'll use the Imperial motif from SW at all or only the Imperial March.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess the biggest question is if he'll use the Death Stat motif or not, and if he'll use the Imperial Motify from SW at all or only the Imperial March.

Id be surprised if he even knew they existed.

I have (plot) reasons to believe that the Force theme will be used too .

edit: saw that TownerFan already mentioned Force theme

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Id be surprised if he even knew they existed.

He obsessively listened to Star Wars as a kid until the vinyl was worn out, I think he knows every instrument in that score by heart to be honest.

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

We can definitely expect to hear Vader's theme, the Force theme and the Rebel fanfare throughout the score, imho. I wonder if there will also be some verbatim quotes from actual EpIV score cues.

Luke's theme too, of course.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I guess the biggest question is if he'll use the Death Stat motif or not, and if he'll use the Imperial motif from SW at all or only the Imperial March.

"Death Stat motif" haha

Mon Mothma: "The death stats are in, the empire has claimed an unimaginable number of lives..." *Death Stat Motif plays...*

Definately good news... it means it's not just a theme(s) like Superman returns, Jurassic World or harry potter when williams got credited only for the theme.

I hope it doesnt mean tracked music...

On 11/11/2016 at 2:59 PM, Stefancos said:

Zimmer is a far more talented and distinctive composer. One who has produced some stunning scores, and has influenced film music as a genre.

Gia doesn't even come close. 

And I'm not even a Zimmer fan!

I agree. At this juncture I prefer Zimmer. 

I know I sound like a typical fan boy but it really is kind of cool to see JW's name in the credits. And I am hoping to hear his themes at least a few times (as I'm sure I will!)

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Someone just go to the recording studio and press your ear against the wall.

Where is it being recorded anyway? Am I forgetting if it's already been said?

It's being recorded at Sony in LA. 

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Where is it being recorded anyway?

On 11/1/2016 at 11:37 AM, Disco Stu said:

I guess recording starts today?

On 11/1/2016 at 11:49 AM, Jay said:

Yes and

On 11/1/2016 at 3:24 PM, Jay said:

Location confirmed:

Michael Giacchino starts scoring ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY today at Sony

https://www.facebook.com/scoringsessions/posts/1578832112142674

Looks like there is a Rogue One/Giacchino interview in this week's Entertainment Weekly.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/21/rogue-one-reshaping-star-wars-cover

We also spoke with Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino (Doctor Strange, Up), a last-minute addition to the Rogue One team, about his breakneck score that he describes as the galactic version of World War II music.

Sounds like a Star Wars Medal of Honor, which makes sense since that's what the movie looks like, too.  Hope it's good!

I'm assuming the full text interview, or most of it, will be up on EW.com next week.

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

Looks like there is a Rogue One/Giacchino interview in this week's Entertainment Weekly.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/21/rogue-one-reshaping-star-wars-cover

Sounds like a Star Wars Medal of Honor, which makes sense since that's what the movie looks like, too.  Hope it's good!

I'm assuming the full text interview, or most of it, will be up on EW.com next week.

Haven't heard enough of Medal of Honor to know if that's a good thing, but super excited for this interview! First time Giacchino will speak about his involvement, I believe (other than brief social media posts). 

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

As if there was any doubt, but yeah, the first insider to hint at that being BS.

Yeah, I don't think there was any doubt on here but certainly amongst Star Wars fans who wouldn't be as knowledgeable about film scoring. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Gia knows exactly why Desplat left the project but is just being diplomatic in the interview. After all, if Desplat went in a different direction to the producers' expectations, Gia would need to know that to avoid making the same mistake.

Just read this article and I am so excited for this score!!!

Love hearing all these new details. Lucasfilm must be really oppressive (as if we didn't know that already) -- the recording sessions are done and all Gia posted was two photos of action figures and empty seats! 

You can tell that Gia is in super-diplomatic mode -- he side steps the Desplat controversy and doesn't mention the temp track when asked what kind of instructions he received (there must be a temp track, right?)

Meanwhile, the Desplat mystery deepens...

Yes, it’s an action movie, and it’s a Star Wars film, and it has all the things that you would come to expect and love about that, but I didn’t want to forget that it was also an incredibly emotional movie as well. 

Extended solo piano sections!!! :P

I really enjoyed working with Jyn’s theme, and tying that into the movie, and having it slowly develop. And it’s sort of a very emotional sweeping thing, which was really nice to do. Now, I feel like there is this interesting sort of thing going on in film scoring where it’s all about restraint. And at times I totally agree with that, but at other times it’s just nice to unleash everything and just let 110 players go for it.

Hell yeah!!! :woop:

Sounds a little like Night on the Yorktown. 

Not sure how to feel about how there are not too many Williams references. But I guess it makes sense. Ultimately, there are surely going to be so many anthology films that we'll want variety and won't want the films to be slaves to the originals. 

Very excited to see how this film opens. I'm hoping to avoid spoilers for that at all costs. I guess that means I might want to see the film before listening to the OST (which I've only done with The BFG, which wasn't a great decision since that score is a major grower and doesn't make a huge impression in the film either). 

EDIT: Wait a minute, he says there are 110 players. TFA only had 80, right? What's up with that? Is he counting a choir in there or something? 

Don't worry about the size of Gia's orchestra, it'll still be mixed like a small TV score. Never understood why he persists with that "sound" when his writing sometimes allows a more grandiose mix.

I did like his dig about the trend of modern film scores being little more than handholding underscore; perhaps referring to Marvel's homogenised music and an indication of Lucasfilm's different approach. No great surprise considering Kennedy's at the helm, who clearly reveres Williams' approach to melodic writing.

I'm still excited to hear what he's come up with, even with the tight deadline.