Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

Sandor is the gentleman's real name, and Roald was his old screen name (since changed to Sandor).  But I know you already know all this and are just trying to be cute.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You are the cute member. I'm the sarcastic and cynical, but lovably bombastic "tells is like it is" member!

Isn't that Lee's job?

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You are the cute member. I'm the sarcastic and cynical, but lovably bombastic "tells is like it is" member!

IMG_7172.JPG

Bombastic? More like pewpastic. 

Just watched the clip!

Score sounds great. I mean, sounds like what you'd expect from Giacchino, but fits with the Star Wars musical language so well!! 

9 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Not much to judge with such a short clip but I do remember the short clip of Follow Me being catchy and fun while this just sounds like Gia's musical noise.

I actually remember not really liking it ... but now I love the Follow Me cue!

Thanks. Well that was... corny. Very un-Star Wars, yet very Gia. Metrically rigid, restricted harmonic pallet (pred. tritones and perfect fourths), no sense of internal musical continuity (as usual, a slavish devotion to rhetoric over syntax--musical events just... happen), and a circumscribed use of the orchestra. Fuck, it could be straight out of a 50s B-movie or a serial. Attack of the Giant Hamsters...

Listening to it again, the little flourish of brass topped off with a cymbal clash is pretty nice. Clearly Gia trying to channel OT JW. The rest is whatever but I'm still cautiously excited for the score and Jyn's Theme in particular. I haven't been impressed by Gia's theme arrangements or concert suites. I hope this score changes that.

21 minutes ago, king mark said:

sounds more like Star Wars music than his Star Trek music sounds like star trek music

Yes. But I mean it first sounds like gia before sounding like star Wars. 

Well the sound of Star Wars is, at present still completely linked to the sound of John Williams. So it's unavoidable that Gia's music is gonna sound a little...off.

Even I won't fault him for that. The same would have happened with Desplat.

I don't blame him for that. In fact I find it funny and nice that some composer are so easily recognizable. As an exemple I could link this sound to JNH in a heartbeat (From 1:12 I feel like I heard this "effect" with this particular sound -or orchestration or whatever I'm not a pro- on every JNH score.)

5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I haven't been impressed by Gia's theme arrangements or concert suites. I hope this score changes that.

His end credits for Star Trek 09 featured nice concert arrangements of Spock's Theme and the new Main Theme. I don't think he's actually done many concert suites at at all to begin with...

8 hours ago, Teddy 3000 said:

Thanks. Well that was... corny. Very un-Star Wars, yet very Gia. Metrically rigid, restricted harmonic pallet (pred. tritones and perfect fourths), no sense of internal musical continuity (as usual, a slavish devotion to rhetoric over syntax--musical events just... happen), and a circumscribed use of the orchestra. Fuck, it could be straight out of a 50s B-movie or a serial. Attack of the Giant Hamsters...

So, it's gonna be a best seller. Cool, thanks for the info!

12 hours ago, Teddy 3000 said:

I'd like to know more about musical theory - I'm a big Giacchino fan and I acknowledge some of his music is simplistic. Could you expand on these or give me other examples in his music - or counter-examples in more complex music to help me understand?

Metrically rigid: so it doesn't change time-signatures? Most music doesn't within any given 40 seconds? Or is it the same rhythm without, say, halving time.

Harmonic pallet: what's pred. tritones?

Rhetoric over syntax: would more syntactical music have figures that presage coming ones, or callbacks...rather than one section after the next.

Circumscribed use of orchestra: not enough xylophone?

From my limited understanding, I expect Williams avoids all of these pitfalls (all of the time?), and I suspect these features mark the difference between classical composers and (many) film score composers. Is there a piece of music you can recommend that excels on all of these features?

Again, I cannot understand why there are so many Gia-haters on this forum. Almost everyone insolently talking about "Djatchino-ish" music. To my mind this pseudo-offensive word is a compliment. Honestly, I always try to be "Djatchino-ish" while playing the piano.

Every composer has people who like them and people who don't.  What I don't understand is why the people who don't like Giacchino pop into the thread for each of his scores and post negative comments about the score, or actually, usually about previous scores of his before they've even heard the score in question.  To me, that is quite and incredible waste of time.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Every composer has people who like them and people who don't.  What I don't understand is why the people who don't like Giacchino pop into the thread for each of his scores and post negative comments about the score, or actually, usually about previous scores of his before they've even heard the score in question.  To me, that is quite and incredible waste of time.

Steef has to get to 200,000 somehow.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

We have to make the world see! See the truth!

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

I told you... create a bashing thread for them and ban all detractors from the giacchino threads :P