Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

6 hours ago, publicist said:

First review (no, Jay, no source is given): 

Giacchino's score is a bit jarring at first because he doesn't use the Star Wars fanfare at all. We do get hints of themes we recognize (like when we first see Yavin 4), but mostly it's him bringing his all without leaning much on the iconic themes. Bold choice. I'm not 100% sure if it'll gel perfectly as a Star Wars movie without those themes used in abundance, but I can tell you that Giacchino's score, the little bit of it I heard anyway, will be up to his high standards.

Since  don't find his standards high musically (at all), but also have zero interest in the score i guess this will delight those that need their SW fix anyway and anger all the die-hard fans expecting musical pole vaulting.

It's from this article

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/76852

And the guy only saw 30 minutes of the movie

That may be so but it is a forgivable sin. The kinetic pacing of the set pieces was almost Spielberg level - much better than anything i saw by Abrams and not even talking about all those dreadful Marvel/DC movies.

The bridge sequence at the end of Bridge of Spies was 10x more gripping than almost any Marvel ending set piece and that's from 70something Spielberg. I actually thought Doctor Strange's climax was better than most.

2 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I've seen Olsen in Godzilla and two MCU films. I assume she displays her acting talent elsewhere?

She is great in 'Marcy May Marlene' and in the horrible 'Silent House'. But other than that, she is pretty bad in everything else that I saw her in. 

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

She was good in Liberal Arts.

Bad movie, though. 

Also speaking of Aaron Taylor-Johnson, I thought he was great in Nocturnal Animals.

:lol:

The original is an untouchable classic, but I was curious about Lee's take on it.  Frankly if EO wasn't in it, I'm not sure if I would have bothered or not....

Anyways, you can see what I thought here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20559-what-is-the-last-film-you-watched-older-films/&page=574#comment-1163134

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I hope the OST is a 2CD release...but unlikely :(

Amazon says one CD. 

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

Isn't weird that it's only a week till release and we don't even have a tracklist?

Karol

Not really. We only got the TFA track list early because someone at Italian and French Amazon posted it when they weren't supposed to (it was quickly deleted). 

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

In the scene when Han enters in the Falcon's cockpit (unreleased).

It's also used in the first scene between Poe and Finn (available of the FYC CD).

First one is sort of released -- it was in the LEGO video game.

Second one is not on the OST or the FYC. 

13 hours ago, Gistech said:

Focus on that quote: "The little bit of it I heard"... he hasn't heard the whole thing, he hasn't even mentioned if he's heard all of the CD.

He may actually have been at the press screening, which showed 28 minutes of the film (most from near the beginning, apparently). 

EDIT: Oh, I see that that's indeed the case!

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Luke's theme is used for the falcon and han and chewbacca in TFA.

Giacchino can and should use it.

Indeed. A couple quotations of Luke's theme in some of the more adventurous and fun sequences, or nostalgic ones, would be appreciated. 

11 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

we also get location subtitles for some reason.

Hmmm... Seems very un-Star Wars-y. :(

But I'm sure it will be fine. 

--------

Also:

Williams has actually referred to Luke's theme as the "Star Wars fanfare" on the TFA featurette. I don't think Williams was using "Luke's theme" in TFA only because the main characters were searching for Luke.

As seen at the end of ROTS though, as least as of then Williams had not entirely forgotten the Luke association. 

Yeah, but at least the number of tracks and times were on Google Play by this point too, so we also had some additional confirmation on that level. I guess we didn't officially know until the digital leak on Amazon? Can't remember.

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah, but at least the number of tracks and times were on Google Play by this point too, so we also had some additional confirmation on that level. I guess we didn't officially know until the digital leak on Amazon? Can't remember.

The digital Amazon leak actually only had the track numbers too! ("Track 1," etc.)

But, yeah, I'd forgotten that around this time we got confirmation of the number of tracks and total time (I'm not sure if we had the times of individual tracks though, can't remember). Which as you said essentially confirmed that the titles were real. 

Rogue One Tracklist leaked

• 1. He's Here For Us
  • 2. A Long Ride Ahead
  • 3. Wobani Imperial Labor Camp
  • 4. Trust Goes Both Ways
  • 5. When Has Become Now
  • 6. Jedha Arrival
  • 7. Jedha City Ambush
  • 8. Star-Dust
  • 9. Confrontation on Eadu 
  • 10. Krennic's Aspirations 
  • 11. Rebellions Are Built on Hope 
  • 12. Rogue One 
  • 13. Cargo Shuttle SW-0608 
  • 14. Scrambling the Rebel Fleet 
  • 15. AT-ACT Assault 
  • 16. The Master Switch
  • 17. Your Father Would Be Proud 
  • 18. Hope 
  • 19. Jyn Erso & Hope Suite 
  • 20. The Imperial Suite 
  • 21. Guardians of the Whills Suite

Source 

http://www.emp-shop.pl/art_345819/

2 minutes ago, Jwrocks12 said:

Rogue One Tracklist leaked

• 1. He's Here For Us
  • 2. A Long Ride Ahead
  • 3. Wobani Imperial Labor Camp
  • 4. Trust Goes Both Ways
  • 5. When Has Become Now
  • 6. Jedha Arrival
  • 7. Jedha City Ambush
  • 8. Star-Dust
  • 9. Confrontation on Eadu 
  • 10. Krennic's Aspirations 
  • 11. Rebellions Are Built on Hope 
  • 12. Rogue One 
  • 13. Cargo Shuttle SW-0608 
  • 14. Scrambling the Rebel Fleet 
  • 15. AT-ACT Assault 
  • 16. The Master Switch
  • 17. Your Father Would Be Proud 
  • 18. Hope 
  • 19. Jyn Erso & Hope Suite 
  • 20. The Imperial Suite 
  • 21. Guardians of the Whills Suite

Source 

http://www.emp-shop.pl/art_345819/

Not enough puns. 

But it's probably legit I guess!

3 theme suites at the end. Interesting. A nice Williamsian touch although Johnny would have put them at the start of the album.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

So, no puns (apart from Star-Dust)? Hmmm...

Interesting that he had the time to write no less than 3 suites. I wonder if The Imperial Suite is a suite of Williams thematic material for the Empire (Death Star motif, Imperial motif, Imperial March), or just Djiatchino new Imperial material. Or a mix of both.

Also worth noting: a reference to the Whills. Intriguing...

What is this Whills?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Journal_of_the_Whills

The conception of the Journal of the Whills dates back to the earliest drafts of the Star Wars franchise, in which filmmaker George Lucas had intended to use the Journal as a plot device for connecting the Star Wars galaxy to the real world.[2] While this idea was ultimately dropped, the Journal was mentioned in several Star Wars sources such as the novelization of the original film, which like the novelization of The Force Awakens, was written by Alan Dean Foster.[3][1] The Journal of the Whills was first made canon by the novelization of The Force Awakens, which opens with a quotation from the journal.[1]

And here too: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Journal_of_the_Whills,_Part_I

Just now, BloodBoal said:

If it was Tolkien stuff, you'd be super interested by that, and buy every damn book in which they are referenced!

Obviously. Tolkien is better than everything!

There's been a spoiler going out for awhile about the Whills being involved in jedha so at least it's inline with that. 

Tracktitles also seem to fit with what has been rumoured about the plot. 

Woah! Track titles!!!! :woop:

A) Not too many puns!

B) Three suites!!!!

Interestingly, it appears that either A) The complete end credits are not on the album (I hope that's not the case!) or B) The complete end credits is made up entirely of the suites on the album.