Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

On 07/12/2016 at 6:31 PM, Stefancos said:

There was some actual intelligence behind the staging and direction of its suspense and action scenes, a little substance even.

I'll never know. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

David Collins had some interesting things to say about Rogue One's score on the new Star Wars Oxygen podcast. It sounded pretty positive to me, but he admitted Jyn's Theme had no impact on him (he couldn't even work out what it was).

Huh. I don't usually listen to that but this time I might have to check it out.

I suppose he must have attended the 28 minute journalist preview?

Or did he get some special preview of the OST?

I think he works at Lucasfilm so he saw the 28 minute preview at some point. They beeped out a big spoiler he dropped.

They spent a bit of time asking what the Rogue One track title puns would be -- they're in for a nasty surprise! :lol:

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I think he works at Lucasfilm so he saw the 28 minute preview at some point. They beeped out a big spoiler he dropped.

They spent a bit of time asking what the Rogue One track title puns would be -- they're in for a nasty surprise! :lol:

He works at Sony but is ex LucasArts.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

He needs to leak the complete prequel recordings! 

I think it's the video game side of things I'm afrai!

4M27 Her Path Is Clear

Don Williams on timpani!

4M29 Approach to Eadu was the second cue

Neither were very good, unfortunately.  Of course, I reserve all judgement till I've heard the whole album.

I thought they both sounded really good.  The second sounded pretty Star Warsy to me - not Williamsy, but Star Warsy.  I've been avoiding clips, so this is the first taste I've had - I'm encouraged.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

David Collins had some interesting things to say about Rogue One's score on the new Star Wars Oxygen podcast. It sounded pretty positive to me, but he admitted Jyn's Theme had no impact on him (he couldn't even work out what it was).

That was Jimmy Mac....

I dunno.  The IMDB pages (and presumably the end credits) for Zootopia and Star Trek Beyond don't list him, but there he is in the ScoringSessions.com footage, so we know he did those

Doctor Strange doesn't list him either, but there' no ScoringSessions page up yet.  The IMDB listing does list a Peter Cobbin as "score recording engineer"

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

To him and all the musicians involved, this assignement is a joke! They are not taking it seriously!

Lololol what a bullshit chord, Williams would never allow this

noob

get rekt m8

gg

(actual transcript from the video)

Wow! 

I mean, the music isn't super exceptional or anything, but parts are pretty great and it's just super cool to see and hear. 

And did you guys notice -- the first cue's sheet music said "Orchestrated by William Ross"!!!!

I know this was already on IMDB, but that's not a very reliable source of information so I don't think anyone really took it seriously. It was all speculation. 

The first one sounded a bit like Vader's theme to me, whereas the second one sounded like a Williams SW track played backwards.

I quite like it though. And bonus points for piano duet. :up:

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

My Gad, this guy... doesn't even direct his own music?

Yep. As usual, Tim Simonec seems to have conducted. 

Props to him for wearing a Cubs shirt btw (apparently he's from Chicago). 

It's always been my problem, I'm attracted to the best ones, the cream of the crop. So when you like the best ones from the beginning, why after even consider the rest?

Why drink cheap wine when there is Champagne?

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « I'm snob »

Oh Dear God........ Fingers crossed it's not another horrid score.... The thing that annoys me about the first cue is that it has the rhythm from the Imperial March. Its the Empire, just use the fucking Imperial March already!!!!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I dunno.  The IMDB pages (and presumably the end credits) for Zootopia and Star Trek Beyond don't list him, but there he is in the ScoringSessions.com footage, so we know he did those

Doctor Strange doesn't list him either, but there' no ScoringSessions page up yet.  The IMDB listing does list a Peter Cobbin as "score recording engineer"

Since Zootopia is conveniently on Netflix it took me 30 seconds to verify that Iwataki is credited.  Weird that he's not on IMDB.  IMDB is frustratingly inconsistent when it comes to technical credits.

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 6.46.29 PM.png

29 minutes ago, loert said:

The first one sounded a bit like Vader's theme to me, whereas the second one sounded like a Williams SW track played backwards.

I quite like it though. And bonus points for piano duet. :up:

Finally some positivity!

I wasn't a huge fan of the first one, although it was fine, but the second one is pretty great.

That sudden and brief romantic string moment near the beginning amidst the action is gorgeous. 

The figure at 1:34 is way better than the main one from Crash Decisions, IMO (which I never liked very much, and I think there are better action moments in that score) -- although I suppose this could be due in part to my low expectations here when people said the cues weren't very good, as compared to my high expectations for Crash Decisions when Jay said it was the action cue of the year. This new figure reminds me a little of ROTS. 

The bit at 1:48 sounds very Williams-y (like this ANH bit: https://youtu.be/liVSa76Scck?t=275)

23 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

indeed. I was going to comment how spoilerish that was.

Don't they all die in this film? Are you all being sarcastic? I hope it's just me not getting the sarcasm because I'd be very surprised if they all don't die, or at least most.... We never hear of them ever again.

On 12/7/2016 at 3:23 PM, BloodBoal said:

A partial tracklist has leaked:

08. Galen's Extermination

10. Gerrera's Demise

12. Baze's End

13. The Killing Of Chirrut

14. Bodhi's Corpse

16. Cassian's Death

17. Funeral Pyre For Jyn

LOL, exactly....

On 12/7/2016 at 10:49 AM, Miz said:

Contentious point: Giacchino's game scores are generally musically better than his film and TV scores.

Hopefully he will bring those chops into Rogue One then, because most of his scores sound extremely bland and unmusical to my ears. I do like The Incredibles and did he do Ratatouille? That's where I think he shines.

9 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Oh Dear God........ Fingers crossed it's not another horrid score.... The thing that annoys me about the first cue is that it has the rhythm from the Imperial March. Its the Empire, just use the fucking Imperial March already!!!!

xmeh35.jpg

On 12/8/2016 at 5:59 PM, antovolk said:

Extended version of one of the clips -

Nice! Hopefully he can go somewhere with it, but very nice start indeed.

2 minutes ago, RPurton said:

xmeh35.jpg

Right? But I can try, lol

It is odd that IMDB doesn't accurately credit Iwataki for recording Zootopia and Star Trek Beyond. I wonder why that is? 

Anyways, I must be the only one here who doesn't think these cues sound anything like Williams. 

There's a few parts that sound like someone trying to be Williams. I dunno, I wonder why they chose these cues to show, perhaps they're saving the better ones for the CD and film...

5 minutes ago, RPurton said:

There's a few parts that sound like someone trying to be Williams. I dunno, I wonder why they chose these cues to show, perhaps they're saving the better ones for the CD and film...

Yeah, the 60 Minutes Williams TFA footage mostly included music from the opening scene that wasn't anything spectacular (although still pretty great of course, just not highlights!) and actually ended up being unused alternates to the final film and OST versions. There was also some Scherzo for X-Wings and Ways of the Force, but no The Scavenger, Rey's Theme concert arrangement, March of the Resistance, I Can Fly Anything, The Falcon, Main Title, Jedi Steps, etc. 

1 minute ago, Will said:

Yeah, the 60 Minutes Williams TFA footage mostly included music from the opening scene that wasn't anything spectacular (although still pretty great of course, just not highlights!) and actually got replaced in the final film and OST. There was also some Scherzo for X-Wings and Ways of the Force, but no The Scavenger, Rey's Theme concert arrangement, March of the Resistance, I Can Fly Anything, The Falcon, Main Title, etc. 

I had similar feelings then. I was pumped, but knew that the better stuff wasn't there until I saw the film.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It is odd that IMDB doesn't accurately credit Iwataki for recording Zootopia and Star Trek Beyond. I wonder why that is? 

Anyways, I must be the only one here who doesn't think these cues sound anything like Williams. 

Yeah. Speaking of which, I was surprised he didn't record Doctor Strange.

Karol