Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

Listening through the Score again and really underestimated 'Scrambling the Rebel Fleet.' A great piece. He does interesting stuff with all instrument groups. I really like what he does with Williams material too, like the Rebel Fanfare and especially what he puts behind it, with the woodwind and string accompaniment from 0:17 - 0:32.

And I love the brass flourishes behind Jyn's theme at 0:53 - 0:56. It really drives the theme.

And one of his best uses of Williams at 1:02 - 1:12 of the Force theme and the Main Title.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Did Alexandre Desplat write any music for R1, and, if so, has he re-used it?

To answer the first question: Yes

To answer the second question: How would we possibly know that?

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I wonder If Disney's lawyers will listen to this score, since the Mouse still owns Desplat's score for Rogue One.

They'd only be listening to synthetic demos, since nothing was recorded.

I don't care for Desplat, to be bluntly honest. His music is too boring and depressing in my opinion. I was disappointed when I first heard he was going to score Rogue One. I'm glad he didn't. I can't remember a single piece of music of his from Harry Potter, and I've seen the last two movies dozens of times. There's no substance, just a bunch of soft staccato string riffs.

And gone are the days they put bits from the sessions into the games too. It's all OSTs or original music now. So if it's unreleased music you're looking for... you'll probably have to wait until Disney decides to do an expanded release.

Michael Giacchino Is The New John Williams

The lack of an opening crawl meant that there wasn’t really an emphasis on it in the same manner as other Star Wars films. After listening to Giacchino’s work on its own though, it becomes clear that Giacchino is Williams’ heir.

If Jurassic World created the potential for Giacchino to take over for Williams, then Rogue One cemented his status as Williams’ successor. What is great about the Rogue One score is how Giacchino draws on the entire range of Williams’ work on Star Wars.

Giacchino has proven adept at respecting the work he’s drawing upon while still creating enough original material to make the score his own. He is the chosen one to succeed Williams as Star Wars composer. As a wise Jedi once said, always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.

http://georgetownvoice.com/2017/03/14/michael-giacchino-is-the-new-john-williams/

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I hate this type of article. It's basically a long text for the sole purpose of justifying a single idea.

I actually think it was written just so that the writer could use the master and apprentice line. Probably was really proud of that one. 

18 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

No one is, including Giacchino.  That's the whole point.  It's not a freaking official position that is going to be vacant imminently.  It's just fanboyish navel gazing amongst certain circles of film music world.  A pretty tiring subject.

No, I do not think that Mr. G or anyone else is going to get their "You are now Officially John Williams" ticket punched.

But you could argue that Williams was a successor to Herrmann and Korngold.  Someone will be compared to Williams.  Especially when he or she is writing Williams sequels.

And yet I might argue he's the successor to North and Mancini.

The point is, what these composers are to each of us is, most likely, ephemeral.  The "next Williams" for me is not likely to be the "next Williams" for many others here.  Who is John Williams, anyway?  The guy who scores Star Wars and Jurassic Park movies and writes themes for 4 trumpets?  If that's what he is, or anything similarly surface based, then there will be plenty of composers who come along and get dubbed the next that.  

But I think he's much more than that, and while no one is going to do what he does in exactly the same way, there are certainly composers now and will continue to be in the future who do it in their own way.  The essence of what makes Williams special is alive and well elsewhere, in other shades, and always will be.  The business of actively looking for a "successor" is rather silly.

But for facile stylistic comparisons, sure.  I guess that's the business of broad, dilettante history and can't be avoided. 

43 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's just fanboyish navel gazing amongst certain circles of film music world.  A pretty tiring subject.

I'm surprised that people still write articles about it.

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The two never really sounded similar, to me (apart from a few occasional pieces here and there), and that's why when I first heard of this "Giacchino is the new John Williams" thing, I didn't get it, and still don't (regardless of the quality of the music of both composers).

My thoughts exactly.

Ah, I missed the post before yours. I thought you were comparing Giacchino to North. Hence my confusion, or curiosity.

Williams and North is an apt comparison indeed, in as you say, subtext and technique, and also in how they both strived to create a unique musical vocabulary for themselves.

7 minutes ago, Ricard said:

I'm surprised that people still write articles about it.

All these latest online blogs need click-bait headlines for us to like and share on Facebook...and sadly, it still works.