Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

I must admit I haven't listened to any of this score since maybe early January, possibly December.

My opinion of the film has only been lowered by time, so I don't see myself revisiting either any time soon.  This is not a feeling I relish!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

So how do people rate Rogue One's interpretation of Luke's Theme/End Credits?

I found it really jarring when I saw the film in cinemas, but on my third listen it's not that bad. I think Giacchino's harsh recording style just throws me right off, and it's a thoroughly awkward transition from the finale cue.

Not sure why they went to such lengths to avoid Main Title for the film's opening title (with awful results) yet happily used a carbon copy of ANH for the end credits. :sarcasm:

It's almost as if there was instruction to use the Force Theme at that moment and he had nothing to transition from that into the end credits, so he just used a section of "Trust Goes Both Ways". If it had been Williams, of course the transition would have been a lot more natural, and the finale cue would have ended with that orchestra hit that would have segued into the end credits.

I don't have much of a problem with the end credits themselves, though you are right when you say that the harsh recording technique takes something away from it.

As for the recording in general, Giacchino's scores last year seem to be making a lot of use of close-microphone-recorded percussion. In fact, it reminds me a great deal of Revenge of the Sith using the same style for its percussion (though the implementation was superior without a doubt)

I did very much mind the Trust Goes Both Ways truncation on first listen.

But after that I've come to accept it as just another variation. And I do quite love the variation (it has this wonderful sense of "desperation" and the controversial ending is overwhelming in how it piles more and more sound, building to a sudden cut-off). 

Anyway, I quite like this unreleased cue - I remember the timestamped fanfare being one I noticed in the theatre, as the X-wings awesome-ly soar straight upwards after their initial beach attack:

I also love the Rebel fanfare bit earlier (plays when Baze and co. look up to see the X-wings arriving) especially how it culminates in the heroic note at 1:57. 

If you don't like trumpet triplets, though, this cue will not be for you. ;)

Damn, that transition really is rough, didn't remember it being that bad. It honestly seems like they didn't even try there. Not sure what you guys mean by the "Trust Goes Both Ways" section. Isn't that just the end of "Hope"?

Interesting to hear and finally confirm this is a new end title recording (I actually quite like his interpretation of the latter part of it). So I guess this makes this the first Star Wars film since The Phantom Menace to not feature any music tracked from a previous Star Wars score then.

20 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Damn, that transition really is rough, didn't remember it being that bad. It honestly seems like they didn't even try there. Not sure what you guys mean by the "Trust Goes Both Ways" section. Isn't that just the end of "Hope"?

That same "Hope" transition is also heard in the Force theme statement in "Trust Goes Both Ways."

Apologies if this was already talked about, but I see that David Collins is hosting a "Music of Rogue One" panel at Star Wars Celebration on Thursday.  I'm guessing Giacchino will be there and I'm guessing it will be released as a Star Wars Oxygen episode.

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Apologies if this was already talked about, but I see that David Collins is hosting a "Music of Rogue One" panel at Star Wars Celebration on Thursday.  I'm guessing Giacchino will be there and I'm guessing it will be released as a Star Wars Oxygen episode.

What makes you think Gia will be there? 

2 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

What makes you think Gia will be there? 

It's not Summer yet, but this seems promising:

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 3.30.54 PM.png

So yeah, it's just a prediction and Giacchino might be too busy with Planet of the Apes or Spider-Man. 

I wonder if there will be an expanded RO score this Christmas.  I know, I know, I'm thinking Star Trek.  Same composer different label.  Who knows.

Even if they did release an expanded R1 soundtrack, I probably wouldn't get it. I'd be much more interested in the full score for TFA. There's so much good music from the movie they left out from the OST.

I realize there are some terrible movies with terrific scores that I love and accordingly I know the score better than the film. 

And I know that TFA has an arguably better score than RO.  (I watched it a few weeks ago after binging on RO.  Hearing the score I said "Ahhhh.  That IS the real stuff, isn't it?")

But I'm much more compelled to get into the nooks and crannies of RO than I am TFA just because I'm far more engaged by the film.  (And I LIKE TFA.  And it is NOT a retread of Star Wars.)

Metaphysically it has no wings. Psychologically it might. Depending on a Jungian or Freudian viewpoint. Søren Kierkegaard argued that the wings actually exists in the minds of the Company only. While Jean-Paul Sartre counters that only the Balrog exists and Moria itself is an illusion.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:31 PM, Disco Stu said:

It's not Summer yet, but this seems promising:

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 3.30.54 PM.png

So yeah, it's just a prediction and Giacchino might be too busy with Planet of the Apes or Spider-Man. 

Well nevermind.  He started recording Spider-Man this week so I guess he won't be at Celebration after all.

He could easily fly from LA to ORL for the weekend.  However, I think a film score panel would advertise if the composer was present (or at least a "special guest"), so it's doubtful to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting...

With the eception of Beyond (which has yet to have a proper L2P), his previous Star Trek scores had L2P performances which preceeded expanded scores. Of course, this is Disney and they haven't even done the original film's score expanded yet, so it's unlikely that the trend will continue here.

I'm so looking forward to hearing his Rogue One Score performed at the Giacchino concert at the Royal Albert Hall in October, but a live to projection would be fucking awesome.

Cool! 

I'm not sure if I'd go to it just because there are so many Williams ones to see, but I'm sure it will be awesome.

So we can basically confirm that Giacchino will score 'The Batman.' He said in the video that Matt Reeves is doing Batman, and of course Giacchino has scored everything Reeves has directed.

At least we'll get something completely different from Giacchino. No more of the ear-bleeding stuff like Batman v Superman.

I think this calls for one of my videos; 'What if Michael Giacchino Scored Batman.'

Have to say, I still quite appreciate his score for Rogue One.

Is it as good as Williams? Nope, not even close.

But it is definitely a whole lot better than I would have expected.

Especially when it was still supposed to be Desplat.

I believe he can write enjoyable music; but I'm still waiting for him to really do so.

• 4 weeks later...

"No Friends Of The Empire" should go after "Let Them Pass In Peace Pt 2", as it's something Chirrut says as they're taken by Saw's rebels. Also, shouldn't "Imperial Departure" then go after "No Friends Of The Empire" as that's when the Empire departs Jedha?