Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a link to an article I remember reading, recommended in this very thread? I know there were a few. The one I'm thinking of was long, had diagrams, and an in-depth theme analysis of MG's Rogue One themes, showing how the Hope theme (sister to the SW Main Theme) is more simplistic.

On 8/21/2017 at 3:30 AM, Miz said:

Does anyone have a link to an article I remember reading, recommended in this very thread? I know there were a few. The one I'm thinking of was long, had diagrams, and an in-depth theme analysis of MG's Rogue One themes, showing how the Hope theme (sister to the SW Main Theme) is more simplistic.

It might have been this?

http://fangirlblog.com/2017/04/star-wars-celebration-orlando-2017-the-music-of-rogue-one-with-david-collins/

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2017 at 5:59 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Here's the recording session cue list for anyone interested.

7m45a Scarif Antenna Alignment Pt. 1
7m45b Scarif Antenna Alignment Pt. 2

Just curious if anyone's found 7m45a out in the wild yet. That's basically the first 0:45 (I'm guessing) of this Bluray rip-and-strip, but not so horrible sounding. I heard 7m45b for the first time tonight while poking around the iTunes extras (it's the first thing that plays during the artwork slideshow for the U-wing, if anyone's interested). Someone's ripped this (7m45b) separately from the previous video here, but that's a lower-fi version and it'd barely be listenable wedged between the FYC version of We Have to Press the Attack and the OST version of Your Father. If anyone knows how to rip that cue from iTunes without losing fidelity, I'd be all ears.

All this buildup and questioning because I think this track (or ideally, a nicely edited version of it, because it's pretty jumpy from space to Scarif to space and back to Scarif again) is the number one thing missing from my R1 playlist. I'd love to find both a and b halves of this to craft them into a track called "The Hammerhead."

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:54 AM, rheaton said:

Just curious if anyone's found 7m45a out in the wild yet. That's basically the first 0:45 (I'm guessing) of this Bluray rip-and-strip, but not so horrible sounding. I heard 7m45b for the first time tonight while poking around the iTunes extras (it's the first thing that plays during the artwork slideshow for the U-wing, if anyone's interested). Someone's ripped this (7m45b) separately from the previous video here, but that's a lower-fi version and it'd barely be listenable wedged between the FYC version of We Have to Press the Attack and the OST version of Your Father. If anyone knows how to rip that cue from iTunes without losing fidelity, I'd be all ears.

All this buildup and questioning because I think this track (or ideally, a nicely edited version of it, because it's pretty jumpy from space to Scarif to space and back to Scarif again) is the number one thing missing from my R1 playlist. I'd love to find both a and b halves of this to craft them into a track called "The Hammerhead."

The first video you linked to is actually from my YouTube channel. Unfortunately the only source we have so far is the Blu-ray rip. Also, 7m45a is just the first 25 seconds. Do you know exactly which extra that cue was in? If there's any SFX or dialogue, then the cue will lose fidelity no matter what. Nothing from the recording sessions has leaked thus far (at least not yet, and probably not for years to come if ever).

13 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The video you linked to is actually from my YouTube channel. Unfortunately the only source we have so far is the Blu-ray rip. Also, it's 7m45a is just the first 25 seconds. Do you know exactly which extra that cue was in? If there's any SFX or dialogue, then the cue will lose fidelity no matter what. Nothing from the recording sessions has leaked thus far (at least not yet, and probably not for years to come if ever).

I'm glad you posted it to YouTube, even in that format. If you'd be willing to send me the source audio file, I might try to make something listenable from it and the second video I posted. 

I'm speculating that 7m45a is the first 45 seconds of your video because it doesn't make sense that LFL (or whoever ultimately cut the audio for promotional purposes) would fuse the two together and then split them at a different point, as would be the case given that this file is out there in the iTunes extras. And yes, that's in the iTunes extras (and possibly on BR as well, but I don't own the BR) without any dialogue or SFX, just as background music for viewing the design slideshow about U-wings. To my ears it sounds better in iTunes than on YouTube, but the YouTube cue might just be good enough for my purposes--which is to make a listenable playlist of the best music from the film. IMO this is the biggest missing element, this and the cue when we're first introduced to Jedha. I think I saw that you have that on your YT channel too?

3 hours ago, rheaton said:

I'm glad you posted it to YouTube, even in that format. If you'd be willing to send me the source audio file, I might try to make something listenable from it and the second video I posted. 

I'm speculating that 7m45a is the first 45 seconds of your video because it doesn't make sense that LFL (or whoever ultimately cut the audio for promotional purposes) would fuse the two together and then split them at a different point, as would be the case given that this file is out there in the iTunes extras. And yes, that's in the iTunes extras (and possibly on BR as well, but I don't own the BR) without any dialogue or SFX, just as background music for viewing the design slideshow about U-wings. To my ears it sounds better in iTunes than on YouTube, but the YouTube cue might just be good enough for my purposes--which is to make a listenable playlist of the best music from the film. IMO this is the biggest missing element, this and the cue when we're first introduced to Jedha. I think I saw that you have that on your YT channel too?

Exactly which iTunes extra did you find it in? I have all of the extras and might be able to get a better sounding version of it.

10 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Exactly which iTunes extra did you find it in? I have all of the extras and might be able to get a better sounding version of it.

Extras > Designing Rogue One Galleries > U-wing

What I'm guessing is 7m45b plays first, followed by several other cues from throughout the film

Do you know if it's an iTunes exclusive? I'm hoping that the Blu-Ray set has that extra, as I don't have the iTunes version. I thought the Target collector's edition was supposed to have everything, so if it's not in there I won't be able to get it unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Do you know if it's an iTunes exclusive? I'm hoping that the Blu-Ray set has that extra, as I don't have the iTunes version. I thought the Target collector's edition was supposed to have everything, so if it's not in there I won't be able to get it unfortunately.

It doesn't say it's an exclusive in any way, but it may be. There's also a gallery for K2SO in iTunes.

1 hour ago, rheaton said:

It doesn't say it's an exclusive in any way, but it may be. There's also a gallery for K2SO in iTunes.

I looked it up and supposedly it should be on the Blu-Ray set. However, I might not be able to check until some time next week because my computer is broken and I'm waiting for my new GPU & PSU to arrive in the mail. I guess I should have taken a closer look at the BTS extras when I first got the set!

EDIT: I do have a backup of the Blu-Ray files on my old hard drive, so I might be able to take a look at it tonight.

Here's what I was able to make with what I've found so far. I chose to append the Hammerhead stuff to the "We Have to Press the Attack," so the first half of this will be completely familiar. Listen beginning around 2:25 for the film experience.

With one major exception, that is. I find the Jyn-on-the-tower music that Giacchino came up with really uninspiring, so I omitted it. This leads to two harsh cuts, one at about 3:02, and one at the end, when the TIE almost ends Jyn. This isn't perfect, of course, but I think it's better than not having these cues. I'd be interested in feedback!

And here's a crack at "There's Spies Everywhere." It's a shame that there's such a quality difference between the rip-and-strip (where our introduction to Jedha has even been neutered) and the unreleased "Jedha Suite" track, from which I've restored that 20 seconds or so.

rheaton, any chance you could post just the clean sections of the music unedited? That way, others could do their own edits if they wanted. I'm not a fan of cutting sections of the music or merging cues, so I'd really appreciate it if you could.

12 hours ago, CGCJ said:

rheaton, any chance you could post just the clean sections of the music unedited? That way, others could do their own edits if they wanted. I'm not a fan of cutting sections of the music or merging cues, so I'd really appreciate it if you could.

Understood. However, all I've done is rip the audio from the YouTube videos I've linked to, and it's probably better for quality's sake to just repeat my steps (using something like KeepVid) than me uploading the audio files somewhere a second time for ripping/downloading. 

However, none of this is particularly clean. To even approximate the sound of the FYC mp3s (let alone the OST in a lossless format), I had to fudge the volume levels in editing, and the rip-and-strips from 7m45a and the bulk of There's Spies Everywhere will never approach the quality absent an official LFL release of the cues.

So I was unable to locate the Galleries extras on the files I had backed-up on my hard drive. Once I get my computer repaired I'll look again. The Gallery extras do appear to be a part of the Blu-Ray set, so I'm pretty sure that I do have them on one of the discs, in which case I can easily extract the audio and provide a lossless version of it.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Cincinnati Pops performs “Jyn Erso and Hope”

That principal violin is quite a biscuit!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Cincinnati Pops performs “Jyn Erso and Hope”

A good performance.  Some nice moments in the piece itself, of course, though Giacchino leans rather heavily on Williams's work.  Strong echos of Across The Stars throughout.  

So did anyone notice that none of the Streaming Services™ mentioned this score on their May 4th Playlists? Has John Williams officially demanded Michael Giacchino be erased from the Star Wars cinematic music legacy?

2E1B1970-E0C6-4660-8F9F-629D648F1C88.jpeg

Could be multiple reasons - Rogue One doesn't feature any Saga characters prominently aside from Vader, Williams wrote for Solo whilst Giacchino was solo with Rogue. Still strange they didn't include the score in the playlist...

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Williams probably wrote Galaxy's Edge to prevent Gia from being asked!

:lol: A mark of a true gentleman of magnanimous mien.

Shadows of the Empire is never included as well. 

I think people forgot all about that gem.

16 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Shadows of the Empire is never included as well. 

I think people forgot all about that gem.

Yeah sadly as McNeely's music is pretty excellent all-around. Which reminds me, I have give that CD another listen.

I certainly don't have anything against him. His music doesn't excite me nearly as much as I would like though.

Post 2015, I really really like Star Trek Beyond and Doctor Strange.  Spider-Man: Homecoming has grown on me some, his Apes scores are wildly overrated, and his 2018 scores (Incredibles 2 / Fallen Kingdom) just didn't leave much of an impression on me.

I wouldn't rate it with the best of the old Trek scores (Goldsmith, Horner, McCarthy), but I still think it's a super entertaining space-action score.  I put it on every now and then and it's always a good time, might actually be my favorite of his three Treks.

The score that I think has the most depth and soul to it is Tomorrowland, his best score as far as I'm concerned.  The music really captures the optimism and hopefulness the film was going for better than the film itself.

I play up the Gia hate because it’s so easy to wind people up with it. 

I dont hate hate him I just don’t think he’s very good. He’s certainly the most overrated composer working today IMO.

I think his scores are always sufficient in film but, as Steef aluded to above, they don’t really retain any bite outside of the film. I find many of them dull, uninteresting, and simplistic. Just not my cup of tea.

People can like what they like. Just don’t suggest him for more Star Wars.

I only know his Rogue One, which has its great moments and abysmally unfitting or just not very good moments (I noticed a lot of those in the film).

5 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I dont hate hate him I just don’t think he’s very good. He’s certainly the most overrated composer working today IMO.

Yeah, considering Hanz probably has taken the day off, letting his 30 drones do his work.

I neither agree nor disagree with that statement.  I regularly listen to Giacchino and I quite honestly listen to a Zimmer album at most once or twice a year.  I have a lot of respect for Zimmer and what he's accomplished, without actually enjoying (or hating) his music.