Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

9 hours ago, Gistech said:

If we're talking about that four-note motif (which is what I was talking about), it's in "Here They Come", they just changed what came after it:

True, I have no idea why I thought it was removed.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wrote? Or copied from John Adams?

There were stronger influences than Adams for The Matrix.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Sure, but he knew he'd be writing it long before that, so could have kicked around ideas at the piano countless times before he began work on final cues.  Giacchino just got the gig.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Giacchino has spent hours composing Star Wars stuff in his head just for fun and fandom.

Fingers crossed for a semi-hummable theme! And lots of quotes of the Imperial March!

As a collector soul I can appreciate Giacchino still having all the characters.

I don't *think* it was ever officially confirmed, but I believe there were strong rumors indicating that Desplat would use them, yes.  But we may never officially know.

I suspect if schedules had permitted, he would have used the LSO considering his long admiration of the orchestra and his frequent past collaborations with them. But nothing was confirmed I think.

11 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Looks like this might be another boxy Giacchino recording. Oh well.

I agree. He really should start thinking outside the box.

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Desplat's photos would have been so much better!

Yeah the composition is way off in this!

So..if the score is being recorded today, and giacchino was announced 15-16 september...

Did he write the score in 6 weeks? add maybe 2 weeks more as i suppose the announcement came when everything was 100% tied up...

I'm looking forward to the little teaser videos he posts on his social media when recording a score. It'll give us a very rough idea of what to expect.

If he had 6 weeks to solidly write, and he did say that he's working 7 days a week too, then that will be around 2 minutes of music a day. That is pretty standard for composing. Shore was sometimes writing 6 fully orchestrated minutes of music for ROTK per day as he was recording it, and JNH was writing around 5 minutes a day for Kong as he was recording it. I don't think the short time frame is any excuse for lack of quality. 

23 hours ago, Incanus said:

Fingers crossed for a semi-hummable theme! And lots of quotes of the Imperial March!

Of course there'll be a single new theme in there, to take 5 seconds to hear in its entirety (although the handful of permutations offered will provide hours of analysis and admiration for leeallen, Croc and Mark O).

On 11/1/2016 at 10:47 AM, Incanus said:

This is going to be Giacchino's Schindler's List moment:

Giacchino: All we need now is an orchestra...

And then Gareth Edwards, very graciously, said: Yes I know, but they're all dead.

And it continues...

"So we're just going to have you do a solo piano score. Which shouldn't be too hard since most of it is already written for solo piano."

--------------------

Anyway, awesome to see these photos. Exciting!

Is this the nail in the coffin for the LSO-SW partnership, though? 

I mean, I figured they'd be the "partner orchestra" of SW except for JW's films, but now they're not doing this one either. 

Of course, maybe these two were anomalies and the next anthology film (or even sequel trilogy film if, God forbid, JW doesn't conduct) will be done by the LSO. 

I don't really care what orchestra they use for these, but, then, my tastes aren't as "refined" and my musical knowledge not as deep as many here. 

On 10/17/2016 at 3:41 PM, mrbellamy said:

I've been hinging my hopes on the fact that he was (presumably?) always on a tight schedule with LOST and it's some of the best music he's ever written. Obviously a Star Wars movie would have different requirements but in a way, it is an interesting idea to think that this is just going to have to pour out of him instinctually with no time to fine-tune everything. Could definitely feel messy and disorganized or it could turn out feeling quite vital and emotionally present. Or all of the above, which may not be a bad thing either.

Giacchino worked on LOST and films concurrently for Seasons 1-5. The show had a lot of tracked music, particularly in the first two seasons. He took a break from films specifically to focus on the final season and I think most will agree that had the best music.

Tough call though. Season one was probably the most consistently well-scored. Season six has most of the highlights, but it also was where things got spread the most thin, with lots of passages of treading water and some rather banal thematic ideas that are not on the same level as the core ones.

Care to go into a bit more detail and specifics? Season 1 lays out all the thematic and tonal ground work, but it's how he ultimately develops all of that material in Season 6 that creates that sublime payoff. A lot of different stuff goes into it for me, personally, having watched and grown with the show as it aired. I vividly recall watching the last season and immediately noticing the step-up in the music. From "A Sunken Feeling" to "Coffin Calamity," there seemed to be an evident spike in the, how do I describe it... playfulness? I don't know, but I always felt that Giacchino was really pulling all the stops for the last season and giving it his all. Other seasons have their brilliant moments too ("Parting Words," etc.), but c'mon, Desmond's sideways theme is fucking ace!

Thank Varese Sarabande for giving the show's music proper releases. There are still some tidbits I would love on album, but we really couldn't ask for anything more than what we got. I dearly miss the percussion from the TV version of "A Sunken Feeling" though.

I watched it in real time too, and yes, he brings it all to a great peak at the end with plenty of individual high points. Season one just seems to hold together more, with episodes being spotted more conservatively and thus less "spreading thin" of certain Giacchino devices that would be revealed as somewhat weak as the show went on and the music became more pervasive and new themes didn't seem quite so fleshed out as the earlier core ones. The Desmond sideways theme is one of them - a shadow of Des' main theme.

Overall, I think it's just an issue of there being too much music later in the show. The good stuff gets diluted.

Well yeah, the core themes will always be better because he'd been developing them for 6 years! Aside from those big character themes, Season 6 took a more motivic approach to the minute-to-minute scoring. At this point in the show the pace is drastically different than day x on the island, and I found that the combination of those main themes with short punchier episodic motifs to be really effective.

Six seasons.

And absolutely yes, very much so did he develop the themes.

You can say what you want about his film scoring, but almost everything you find lacking in his film scores can be found in LOST.  Like he blew his load early and hasn't gotten back to his peak yet.

Constantly insulting everything Giacchino has done, is doing, and is going to do, is like being a vegan; you don't need to keep telling the world every five minutes.

If you don't like meat, don't go into an all-meat buffet.

Can we please get back to anticipating this score! I have high hopes that the Imperial March will be in there!

17 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Can we please get back to anticipating this score! I have high hopes that the Imperial March will be in there!

Of course it will be. Disney will make sure of it.

MEMBER DARTH VADER?! MEMBER THE IMPERIAL MARCH!? 

member_berry.jpg

with the late recording of this score, it's a given that the physical CD will be on sale several days or weeks after the film's release. it happened with TFA and it wasnt so late recorded (irrc) didnt, it?

Will a digital release be late too?

I hope the music get so many excellent reviews that they release the entire thing :P