Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

with the late recording of this score, it's a given that the physical CD will be on sale several days or weeks after the films release. it happened with TFA and it wasnt so late recorded (irrc)

I bet you're right

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

Will a digital release be late on time too?

Not a chance

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

with the late recording of this score, it's a given that the physical CD will be on sale several days or weeks after the film's release. it happened with TFA and it wasnt so late recorded (irrc) didnt, it?

Will a digital release be late too?

I hope the music get so many excellent reviews that they release the entire thing :P

The premiere for TFA was two days before the release of the album if I remember correctly so it wasn't that much earlier.

8 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I hope the music get so many excellent reviews that they release the entire thing :P

If we still don't have an expanded TFA set, we won't be getting an expanded Rogue One set any time soon either.  Possibly the FYC could have extra music, though, who knows

On 1. November 2016 at 4:50 PM, Incanus said:

Fingers crossed for a semi-hummable theme! And lots of quotes of the Imperial March!

Giacchino always creates very hummable themes. It's the normal underscore where he fails regularly. 

Quintus, that's a bit of a revelation to me. As a self-confessed Giacchino fan, I hadn't really noticed that before but on reflection would have to agree. Most of his themes are very 'phrase-built'. The best exception I can think of is Parting Words (the Raft/Rescue theme) from Lost.

As an all encompassing musical idea, I think his UP score stands as the most successful thing he's done for a film. The simplistic yet rather versatile 'companionship' theme was strong enough to carry the entire score all on its own in that instance. There, Giacchino actually managed to achieve a sense of narrative pathos for once (in a film). But I do think he just got lucky on that occasion, unfortunately.

26 minutes ago, Quintus said:

As an all encompassing musical idea, I think his UP score stands as the most successful thing he's done for a film. The simplistic yet rather versatile 'companionship' theme was strong enough to carry the entire score all on its own in that instance. There, Giacchino actually managed to achieve a sense of narrative pathos for once (in a film). But I do think he just got lucky on that occasion, unfortunately.

Why attribute it to luck?

Perhaps. Maybe it's more lucky that he got an opportunity with Up where he wasn't required to reach beyond his particular skill set. He both recognized what the film needed and could accomplish it.

John Williams and other artists, creatives, are always quick to admit how incredibly lucky they have been when speaking about their successes.

But are you saying Giacchino found in UP his sweet spot? Or his comfort zone? His creative 'ceiling', even.

Sure, I'm not saying luck isn't part of it. I just think it's a little unfair to imply the Up theme and whatever success it has in the film was luck without craft. But sorry if I misread that.

As for Gia's creative ceiling, well, that could be. I don't know. I can definitely say the level that he operates with Pixar and the more quiet gravitas of Lost is about where I've enjoyed him most. Bigger than that, he does always feel a bit like a kid in the deep end.

Oh I'm not denying his grasp of scoring craft when writing UP (and The Incredibles, too, actually), but the stars were also aligned on the occasion that George Lucas wrote and directed Star Wars. There was a lot of good fortune , some skill and perfect timing involved there, I believe. But ultimately, it was a one-off. Star Wars is not representative of Lucas' skill as a film director.

Luck. Working with a man called JJ Abrams on a TV show called Alias, for instance, and personality. Gia must be a very nice and congenial person and a good collaborator. 

Herrmann was an utterly brilliant composer, but not a very pleasant man to work with.

34 minutes ago, Quintus said:

John Williams and other artists, creatives, are always quick to admit how incredibly lucky they have been when speaking about their successes.

But are you saying Giacchino found in UP his sweet spot? Or his comfort zone? His creative 'ceiling', even.

I would say his skill set suits these Pixar films very well. Ratatouille also ranks among his finer scores. But I don't really think he has the chops to quite pull off all these bigger budget motion pictures he's scoring. 

I still can't picture Dr. strange working well in film though. It's often too kitschy to take seriously. All that screaming choir...

But I'm sure it fits fine enough.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Gia is probably a fine match for Marvel. 

Which would been perfectly fine actually. There's nowt wrong with that degree of capability at all. It's only when idiots! start to compare that skill level directly with someone of John Williams' calibre that it becomes problematic, that it raises the ire of people like me. And when they go as far as to call Giacchino "the next...", well, it's just insulting.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I haven't personally seen anyone on this board, even great Giacchino fans, who make that comparison.  

I've seen it implied here plenty of times over the years. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

You would obviously know better than I, having only been visiting here since January.  Hopefully those people have been weeded out by now :P

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Back in the dark times, when it was 2007 or 2008 when RCP took over Hollywood in full force. It was reactionary. People thought they needed a savior and they picked Giacchino.