Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

I think there might be some cues that could could work, but JW's evolved.

On the point of using MG's work I think whilst it seems to fit the scene well, it's still not a good representation.

The part where that multi limbed robot thing spins it's lightsabers is the most pointless thing ever. Ewan only has to poke his own one into them to put a stop to it. Indiana Jones would have just shot them both of course. 

I stumbled upon this video of 2 guys talking about Giacchino scoring Rogue One. It is painfully funny how little they know about pretty much everything. I have no idea why they are talking about it when they clearly haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

4:00 - 14:40

11 minutes ago, tannhauser said:

What is the actual pronunciation?

But yes those two guys don't know anything about anything. Every sentence seems to contain errors whether it is how to pronounce Desplat's name or claiming that John Williams didn't score any of the Force Awakens trailers. Not going to listen to that more than those 2 minutes I already did.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

How do people in 2016 still not realize that 99% of the time the trailer music has nothing to do with it's film's score?

They are of the whatever-generation Jay. Of course they don't care or care to find out!

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

They're basically saying the trailer music was awesome and they wonder for most of the video who composed it: Desplatte or Djiatchino (and I'm not even kidding).

They also want the soundtrack to mostly rely on old themes.

I know, but they just took absolutely fucking ages to say it and when they did it was almost incomprehensible. It was what would happen if these two did a podcast:

6 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I stumbled upon this video of 2 guys talking about Giacchino scoring Rogue One. It is painfully funny how little they know about pretty much everything. I have no idea why they are talking about it when they clearly haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

4:00 - 14:40

Never ever ever listen to a 20-something white guy with a ratty beard and a man-bun.  Society as a whole can ignore that demographic sliver.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

They are of the whatever-generation Jay. Of course they don't care or care to find out!

The irony of course is that they have the resources to find out about anything, anywhere!

26 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Them - "Whoever did the trailer music should do the music for the film."

Me -

rdHBc9q.gif

Probably not much more meh the Gia though. 

42 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Them - "Whoever did the trailer music should do the music for the film."

I still see people who say the third trailer music was much better than anything Williams did. Even seemingly intelligent, articulate folks...

On 11/3/2016 at 1:13 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

with the late recording of this score, it's a given that the physical CD will be on sale several days or weeks after the film's release. it happened with TFA and it wasnt so late recorded (irrc) didnt, it?

TFA OST was released digitally and physically same day as the film (in the U.S., at least).

9 hours ago, Jay said:

How do people in 2016 still not realize that 99% of the time the trailer music has nothing to do with it's film's score?

Yep. I cringe at all the inevitable misinformed news stories. 

10 hours ago, Incanus said:

But yes those two guys don't know anything about anything. Every sentence seems to contain errors whether it is how to pronounce Desplat's name or claiming that John Williams didn't score any of the Force Awakens trailers. Not going to listen to that more than those 2 minutes I already did.

How do you pronounce Desplat's name? I've been wondering. (For real; I'm not joking.)

On 11/3/2016 at 1:53 PM, Gistech said:

None of Disney's FYCs had additional material this year. I would not expect Rogue One to have additional material on its FYC either.

:(

Well, we'll see, though. As @Jay noted TFA did. 

Perhaps all the reused themes will force them to make a custom FYC like with TFA. 

On 11/5/2016 at 10:52 AM, BloodBoal said:

How can we, now that Giacchino is the actual next John Williams? I mean, Jurassic World, Star Wars... All that's missing is Indiana Jones, and he'll probably get the gig on the fifth movie...

Well, in that sense he is already the next John Williams. He's the go-to guy now for all the major projects, it seems. 

"he'll probably get the gig on the fifth movie" Let's think positively! JW's already been announced for 5! It only won't happen if Williams is ill or dead. 

5 minutes ago, KK said:

Desplat = Deh-plah

Wow. I'd been thinking it was Des-plat -- then I thought maybe it was Des-plah ... but neither was right!

Just to be sure ... how's Alexandre pronounced? Alex-Andre?

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I still see people who say the third trailer music was much better than anything Williams did. Even seemingly intelligent, articulate folks...

Well, it was pretty great music, I'll give it that. Particularly if the unused Frederick Lloyd bit with Leia's theme is included. 

Yeah I heard him make a joke of the mispronunciation at a concert. It's pronounced Alex-arnd Dess-plah. 

Even Giacchino doesn't correct people any more. He's clearly sick of doing it. I used to say to myself at every concert or event that I heard his name spoken aloud, "it's Juh-Keen-O! Not Jia-Cheeno."

Not many Europeans can read and pronounce a variety of European languages... but watching Ameericahns try is still a hoot. (I learned French in school and travelled in France a little, and have lived in Italy with my grandparents-in-law, so I think I got these two composers spelled out before I was told. I think).

7 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Yeah I heard him make a joke of the mispronunciation at a concert. It's pronounced Alex-arnd Dess-plah. 

Even Giacchino doesn't correct people any more. He's clearly sick of doing it. I used to say to myself at every concert or event that I heard his name spoken aloud, "it's Juh-Keen-O! Not Jia-Cheeno."

The propper italian pronunciaion for those letters is more similar to the second one, or a mix... Jia-Keen-O i think sounds more like it.

I mean, 'Gia' in italian has no 'U' near sound whatsoever...

As in 'Giaccomo'

Now...if Giacchino's name is a variant of the correct form Gioachino ('Joachim') as it seems to be (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gioacchino#cite_note-behind-1)

then it would be more similar to Juh-keen-O.

But it is strange, because americanised spanish surnames, like 'Martines', 'Rodrigues'.... people say it as they write it, they do not use the correct original pronunciation with 'Z' instead of 'S'.