Alexandre Desplat's Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets

antovolk

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No, but they do legally own anything Desplat wrote for them while he was hired for Rogue One.

Seems like a weird grey area to me, without knowing the extent of what Desplat has written. Themes? Cues? Basic sketches? What do Lucasfilm do, acquire his hard drives and copyright the sheet music?

John would never have this problem, he writes everything down with pencil and paper! He could throw it all in a furnace and screw the studios for rejecting him!

It's hardly a grey area. Lucasfilm or Disney own all the music, written and recorded that Desplat wrote for Rogue One.

Now Desplat could easily take a theme or meledy or two. slightly tweak them and use them in the Luc Besson, or indeed any other film.

But since his Rogue One score won't be released we will not know about it. Unless the composer actually says in an interviews that he used Rogue One material in Valerian. But that isnt a very smart thing to do.

Just now, Stefancos said:

It's hardly a grey area. Lucasfilm or Disney own all the music, written and recorded that Desplat wrote for Rogue One.

Nothing was recorded.

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That is just perfect. Might be even better.

Karol

And isnt it conveniently soon?

Maybe this deal was already on talks while disney stalled the recording sessions due to the film being late on production...

And maybe giacchino also was already in talks since it seemed Desplat was not working on it yet :P

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Maybe this deal was already on talks while disney stalled the recording sessions due to the film being late on production...

And maybe giacchino also was already in talks since it seemed Desplat was not working on it yet :P

Nonsense. These are two Frenchmen. After hearing Desplat was off Rogue One Luc invited him to his Chateau, they had an excellent dinner with several bottles of truly exquisite wine. They discussed the project and shook hands on it.

6 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The film opens in July and won't need to be recorded until May or June.  Desplat could have done both, of course he certainly could be doing other things in between and that caused the problem.  Besson's tweet doesn't mean Desplat is immediately and exclusively working on this score starting now.

Nobody talking about how this is the second Besson film not scored by Serra? Pretty shocked tbh that he isn't doing it....would've loved to hear what he'd come up with but I think at the same time maybe Besson didn't want Fifth Element 2.0 from Serra.

5 hours ago, antovolk said:

Nobody talking about how this is the second Besson film not scored by Serra? Pretty shocked tbh that he isn't doing it....would've loved to hear what he'd come up with but I think at the same time maybe Besson didn't want Fifth Element 2.0 from Serra.

This sucks. Eric Serra would have been PERFECT for a job like this, and it's a mystery to me why Besson has opted out of his regular partner for this one. It seems my Desplat/Giacchino curse continues.

I actually have high expectations for this film, given Besson's brilliant return to form with LUCY, but a little less now that Serra has been sent out the airlock, in favour of Desplat.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Assuming. And making a joke.

If serra is Besson composer of choice... Is like when we assume Bridge of Spies was being composed by williams.

Bridge of Spies WAS being composed by Williams.  It was on his agency PDF and everything.  He only had to drop out because of the pacemaker surgery.

On 9/21/2016 at 6:31 AM, Jay said:

Bridge of Spies WAS being composed by Williams.  It was on his agency PDF and everything.  He only had to drop out because of the pacemaker surgery.

Could JW have actually written something for BoS? 

Yeah, this Spielberg interview makes it sound like Williams hadn't started work yet. 

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=8050

He probably hadn't even seen the film. 

Maybe that's good, because it means less unreleased music to be worried about! Although if he had written something then I guess perhaps the sketches could leak and people could do mock-ups, which would have been cool (but also frustrating, obviously, since we'd likely never hear it recorded by a real orchestra). 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone has posted this anywhere:

Looks like Jupiter Ascending 2...

And that underwater chase scene with giant creatures is straight out of Phantom Menace. But of course this is from the 1960's so it probably would have influenced Star Wars.

But despite the quality of this film, it looks like it will offer Desplat sufficient chance to go 'space opera' on it, as Giacchino did with Jupiter Ascending.

P.S. The two leads look strikingly similar, like siblings really, so it doesn't really work having them romantically involved...

P.P.S. I adore Fifth Element, so this film, has already sold one ticket.

It was posted here when it came out, and we discussed it a bit

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16439-the-official-future-films-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1289788

I too love The Fifth Element, but doubt this film will be anywhere near that good.

• 1 month later...