Alexandre Desplat's Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets

antovolk

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I still don't understand what people don't like about the first track.  I'm not saying it's my new favorite cue of all time, but there's some cool stuff going on there.

Definitely. The whole thing just feels a little muddled though, and almost Powell-lite.

And I feel like I hear a little JNH in both as well, though I don't think I could pinpoint any particular JNHy passage.  But these aren't bad composers to sound reminiscent of!

First track is exhilarating. As some have noted, it sounds just a bit Giacchino-y. :lol:

One little touch I love is the ending fade out with the piano note. Such a great tone color. 

35 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Aaaaaaaand the inevitable Giacchino bashing begins. I wondered how long it would take for someone to compare these completely unrelated pieces to Giacchino. Can we not have a discussion about any single composer on this forum, without some idiot bringing up how much it's better than Giacchino? 

You're all just tired and unoriginal now. Let it go.

*waits for a snarky remark*

Hey it has changed from Zimmer bashing to Giacchino bashing during the last few years. I am sure the wheel will turn eventually.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Williams bashing!

Ummm... that is not allowed. Nope. And no one would dare to drag our saviour's name through the mud like that!

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Lazy tosser! Yet more xylophones and syncopated flute runs!

But those are ageless! They never go out of fashion!

Just now, crocodile said:

The BFG was dull. 

It actually was.

Karol

Well it was a bit worn wasn't it. But hey it had a few good points so not a total loss.

I'm not even being spiteful. Just can't get through the bloody thing. People say Sleepers is dull. But that one was at least completely unique. So was Presumed Innocent.

There you go, my JW bashing for the day ticked off!

Karol

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

It's become an obsession of TGP to wake up at 3am to make sure there's a solid few hours of Giacchino bashing time before the day starts.

3 AM?  There are other places in the world than where you live, you know. 

There's only one person who appears pathetic over the Giacchino issue on this board, only one person who takes it beyond the stating of opinions into crusade territory.  

Unlike him, I won't be petty and name names. 

4 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

There's only one person who appears pathetic over the Giacchino issue on this board, only one person who takes it beyond the stating of opinions into crusade territory.  

Unlike him, I won't be petty and name names. 

Leave Stiff out of this!