Alexandre Desplat's Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets

antovolk

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

But I don't want him. I just want his postcount!

Marriage first you filthy heathen!

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I just came to peace with the fact that Giacchino is a toxic topic now.  Never expect substantive debate where he is involved.  It only ever devolves into either too much sarcasm or too much anger.  And too much policing of how others should be posting.  Like this post for instance.

Toxic!

I'm not here to tell people what to talk about. :) I'm just stating the fact that there is more off topic than on topic discussions… I quoted the "some composers are trash" problem just to amplify my message. It's more the private jokes between members that can sometimes become sort of annoying :/ But hey, that's just me and it doesn't matter that much ;)

2 minutes ago, toothless said:

I'm not here to tell people what to talk about. :) I'm just stating the fact that there is more off topic than on topic discussions… I quoted the "some composers are trash" problem just to amplify my message. It's more the private jokes between members that can sometimes become sort of annoying :/ But hey, that's just me and it doesn't matter that much ;)

It takes time but you get used to it!

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Oh, I was referring to my own post!

Anyway, just wait for The Last Jedi to come out.  Forum'll get good again then :D 

This :lol:

I never said I disagree with the content of the post. And I don't recall I ever took part in those discussions. I'm just saying there is no real debate just troll.

I reckon the most "substantive" debates on this subject took place a few years back, which is why some newer members feel the discussion is oddly cut and dry.  That said, there's nothing stopping them getting it going again. 

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The two tracks posted on Youtube have been taken down for some reason. Did Besson decide to replace Desplat with Giacchino a month before the film's release? :(

You shut your goddamn mouth! 

I think his main theme, and even secondary themes really, for Rise of the Guardians are perfect for a space opera. Shame he's already used them.

I hope he can reach this level of rich tone for the quieter moments in the film.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a smug slam if there ever was one (Hollywood Reporter, McCarthy). 

The Razzies don't need to wait until the end of the year to anoint a winner for 2017. The Golden Turkey Awards should be republished with a new cover. Euro-trash is back, while sci-fi will need to lick its wounds for a while.

What makes it supremely suspicious is the following sentence: "Luc Besson's $200-million eyesore will barely trigger a momentary blip on the American box-office radar screen, leaving Besson with the lone hope that there are parts of the world where the entertainment tastes remain, ahem, less discriminating."

US patrons have...brace yourself....great taste in entertainment?

It will go the way of Jupiter Ascending, but at least Valerian will go down with the dignity of not having screened at Sundance!

Who is surprised honestly? We all knew that regardless of quality, it will completely bomb at the box office. And there was a large chance that the film would be terrible. 

Speed Racer, as egregious as it was, I still can't fault for going all out on the zany cartoon/comic elements and entertaining CGI. Giacchino's score for Speed Racer and Jupiter Ascending are nice and that's what will make Valerian tolerable - Desplat's score!

6 hours ago, publicist said:

That's a smug slam if there ever was one (Hollywood Reporter, McCarthy). 

The Razzies don't need to wait until the end of the year to anoint a winner for 2017. The Golden Turkey Awards should be republished with a new cover. Euro-trash is back, while sci-fi will need to lick its wounds for a while.

What makes it supremely suspicious is the following sentence: "Luc Besson's $200-million eyesore will barely trigger a momentary blip on the American box-office radar screen, leaving Besson with the lone hope that there are parts of the world where the entertainment tastes remain, ahem, less discriminating."

US patrons have...brace yourself....great taste in entertainment?

This qualifies as a positive review to me.

I clearly have no problem with solidly made inoffensive entertainment, I think Spider-Man: Homecoming is really good, but we need these crazy motherfuckers on the edge of respectability like Besson or the Wachowskis doing whatever they can with the money they can get their hands on.  I wouldn't want every movie to be the work of an eccentric visionary any more than I'd want every movie to be a production-line thrill ride.

----------------------------------------

A kinder review from a writer I actually respect:

‘Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets’ Is Like ‘Star Wars’ on Crystal Meth, and It’s Almost Crazy Enough to Work

Besson introducing his immensely bland leads and then immediately hurling them into one of the most inventive action sequences you’ll ever see.

The first 25 minutes of this movie should be mounted as an installation at the Louvre and played on an infinite loop. Only then can our planet know peace.

The film’s most fun aside — the one involving Rihanna as Bubble, the most guileless sex slave in the entire galaxy — epitomizes Besson’s singular gift for threading the needle between spectacle and stupidity. For 15 glorious minutes, you’re watching exactly the movie that he wanted to make. Like the Fhloston Paradise sequence from “The Fifth Element,” it’s a self-contained episode in which cartoon beauty collides with real pathos. And then it ends and we’re forced back to Valerian and Laureline, forced to remember that “The Fifth Element” is such an enduring delight because Ruby Rhod and the Diva Plavalaguna don’t feel like a reprieve from its heroes.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets-review-luc-besson-rihanna-cara-delevingne-dane-dehaan-1201853674/

So basically, worth seeing despite bland protagonists.

Is the album coming to digital platforms early, anyone know?  The CD doesn't come out until next week

Yes July 20th is when the CD comes out, I was wondering if the digital release had a different release date.

What I'm getting at is:  The War For The POTA CD had a release date of August 4, but then we randomly got the digital release last Friday (July 7).  I don't think at the time any of the digital retailers actually said it would be out then, beforehand, it just kinda showed up; I could be wrong about that, of course!

So I was just wondering if Valerian would come out digitally before the CD version as well, but if some websites are already reporting a digital release date of July 20, like the CD, then I guess the answer is no.  Oh well.

It'll be on Apple Music on Friday so I'll wait until my train trip home that evening to sample it. 

Looking forward to it though!

13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Verdict after the first listen: a bit disappointing. Expected much more from it. Some nice moments, but not enough to make an overall satisfying listening experience. A shame.

Giacchino should have scored it.

I will punch you in the throat. 

Desplat always takes a few spins for me. 

I refuse to believe he wrote something and the best way to describe it is "Giacchino should have scored this".

He'd have had to lose every shred of talent he has!