Alexandre Desplat's Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets

antovolk

I am not necessarily a fan of the ultrabusy Post-Bourne action stuffing (it's inevitable, though) but taken with the other elements i fail to see the 'harsh' verdicts. What did people expect? It's not like Desplat betrayed his own code of ethics here, and there are some cool sequences throughout. It ain't gonna get much better than this (for gravitas-free eye candy, anyway).

15 minutes ago, KK said:

This is really good stuff. I mean yes, the album is poorly put together, and the score is kind of scatterbrained, though it makes sense with the ADHD film it's attached to.

But how awesome is it that we have guys like Desplat still delivering this level of hybrid writing for a commercial blockbuster? I certainly can't think of any other films of this kind boasting quality like this.

I'm sure this will be more rewarding with multiple listens.

:thumbup:

The textures/orchestrations are a pleasure to listen to.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

I am not necessarily a fan of the ultrabusy Post-Bourne action stuffing (it's inevitable, though) but taken with the other elements i fail to see the 'harsh' verdicts. What did people expect? It's not like Desplat betrayed his own code of ethics here, and there are some cool sequences throughout. It ain't gonna get much better than this (for gravitas-free eye candy, nyway).

Right. Fat chance that a movie like this was going to get your traditional SW-style score. Giacchino et. al would have been asked to deliver something stylistically similar anyway, albeit in a more neutered fashion. 

Desplat just happens to do this kind of sound leagues ahead of his colleagues, save for maybe Powell. It would have been nice to have heard a more unified musical identity to the whole affair, but like you said, this really is the best we could have hoped for.

Maybe, just maybe, it helps to listen to this over headphones. I had on while biking today and it's has a lot of blink and you will miss them-subtleties going on. Definitely not for shitty pc speakers.

Is there any evidence to suggest he repurposed any music he had written for Rogue One into this score?

This doesn't appear to be on Apple Music yet... I was sure it'd be up today. 

Anybody on Apple Music or Spotify able to check and see if they have access to it?

15 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Anybody on Apple Music or Spotify able to check and see if they have access to it?

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

My CD shipped yesterday. Forgot to cancel it...

Hahahaha!

Alright, I am just starting the album on Spotify right now!  Well, I took the album and made a playlist where I removed all the songs, so its just the tracks marked as being by Desplat.

I'm so confused about the track order; the first track here is Big Market, but soundtrack collector says the first track should be Pearls On Mul?

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/112580/

Why is this release so confusing?

Anyways, holy crap I liked Big Market a lot!

See here:

EDIT: Just checked the Amazon page for hte CD release, and it seems it has been updated with the digital release tracklist. So I'm guessing the old CD tracklist has indeed been changed (and the songs are not all regrouped on the second disc). Though maybe Amazon got it wrong. It's confusing.

So wait, what is the answer?  Just that they purposely chose to make the CD, vinyl, and digital releases all have different track orders?

Because I'm too lazy to check, do all 3 versions feature the same tracks in different orders, or are there some exclusive tracks on some versions?

Bus Attack was fun, and now Arriving on Alpha is nice, hints of Alien/Aliens.

I've listened a few times over the past 24 hours.  I agree more now with the people who think it doesn't add up to a spectactular score, but there are some really great cues on here.  A few cues that will certainly be among my favorites of the year.  And has as been noted, the orchestrations and blend with synthetic elements is just beautiful to listen to.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Because I'm too lazy to check, do all 3 versions feature the same tracks in different orders, or are there some exclusive tracks on some versions?

All three have different track orders: the CD release presented (since that tracklist has apparently been changed. See my EDIT in my previous post) the score on Disc 1 with the tracks in a particular order, and the songs on Disc 2.

The digital release tracklist mixes the songs and score (and the score tracks were not in the same order as the CD release). It seems that this is the official tracklist (and what is ultimately on the CD release, since the Amazon page of the CD has now been updated with this tracklist).

The vinyl release presents the score and songs, and with the tracks yet in another order (and a bonus track as well: Dark Forces). Some tracks from the CD/digital release are not included on this release.

So the vinyl adds Dark Forces but removes other score cues, while the CD and digital release both feature the same stupid score/song toggle back and forth order?  Disappointing.

Well, when my CD arrives in the mail in 5 hours or so, I'll be able to verify what order they are on that, at least.

Oh man, Medusa was a fun track, reminded me of the start of a weird Rhianna video or something

I'm on Pearls on Mul now, and this doesn't sound like a "start of the album" track at all, so I dunno if that tracklist that showed it as the first track was ever right

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm on Pearls on Mul now, and this doesn't sound like a "start of the album" track at all, so I dunno if that tracklist that showed it as the first track was ever right

Just wait til you get to "Flight Above the Big Market."  Magnificent cue.

Well, I'm up to "Pearl's World" now, and the strengths and weaknesses of the score are really apparent.

The strength is the expert blending of electronics and orchestra, good balance of moody music and set piece type music, and just the general fun, summer blockbuster spectacle nature of the music.

The weakness is the complete lack of continuity in the score.  It's not just the lack of recurring themes (there isn't any at all, is there?), its also the fact there's no narrative flow to the music at all.  All the tracks start and stop a bit oddly, with nothing seeming to "talk" to other tracks and set them up, or refer back to other moments.  It's just a collection of different compositions more than an cohesive score.

So far.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's not just the lack of recurring themes (there isn't any at all, is there?),

The theme from "Big Market" recurs multiple times!  It's the main theme!  It's the melody at the center of "Flight Above the Big Market" as well

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I spotted two: Valerian's theme (heard for example at 00:09 and 01:43 in Valerian's Armor) which shows up a few times in the second half and then there's also a theme for (I think) the City Of A Thousand Planets (heard for example at 00:08 in Flight Above The Big Market) but it's not prominent.

Yeah that City theme is the one in "Big Market" too.  That Valerian theme is at the end of "Pearls Attack"

The last track. "Final Combat" just started.

I'm basically in a position where I liked a lot of what I've heard here, but its not very memorable, thought that's likely due to not having a strong, catchy main theme that recurrs throughout the score.

I'll check out the timestamps you guys provided for those themes when this track is done, then probably listen to the whole thing again.

Boy, the program just kinda, ends, doesn't it?  The opening track doesn't really have a big "start of an adventure" feel, nor does the final track really have a big "end of an adventure" feel.

I think what we're dealing with here is a movie where pop songs play over some big scenes, including probably the ending I guess, so the score is more of a supportive one, and doesn't lend itself to a strong album (when the composer isn't inclined, or isn't given the time or budget, to write album-only material to make up for those shortcomings IE a finale type track or end credits suite type track.

Well, off to check those timestamps now

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Valerian's theme (heard for example at 00:09 and 01:43 in Valerian's Armor) which shows up a few times in the second half 

That's not a very good theme.

and then there's also a theme for (I think) the City Of A Thousand Planets (heard for example at 00:08 in Flight Above The Big Market) but it's not prominent.

That sounds a lot like the other theme :P  Also not very strong.  Bummer.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The theme from "Big Market" recurs multiple times!  It's the main theme!  It's the melody at the center of "Flight Above the Big Market" as well

It apparently wasn't strong enough to catch my attention!

Yeah that City theme is the one in "Big Market" too.  That Valerian theme is at the end of "Pearls Attack"

OK I'm already confused.  Are you guys in agreement, or disagreement?

Is this right?

Main theme:

0:09 Valerian's Armor

1:43 Valerian's Armor

end of Pearls Attack
throughout Flight Above Big Market

City Theme

throughout Big Market

0:08 Flight Above Big Market

Google Play Music has a bunch of tracks missing from what I gather is CD 1 of 2. David Bowie isn't there for sure, and I don't know what else is missing.

Capture.PNG

I skipped every one of the pop songs.

Just finished second listen, its a nice score that will probably result in me listening to the best tracks in a short playlist, or in a big playlist with highlights from other scores.  Not much reason to listen to the entire "album" all the way through.  Maybe a session leak who be better than this presentation, who knows.

Also, I think seeing the film will help me connect to the music a lot more

Alrighty folks, the mail has arrived!

I have my Valerian CD in hand.  Or more accurate, the 2CD set....

It's a digipak!!!

IMG_20170721_134746.jpg

IMG_20170721_134831.jpg

And the CD track list is...........

IMG_20170721_135110.jpg

The packaging looks so nice, I'll definitely get it as well, thanks for the pics! And also the tracklisting is way better this way, let's ignore disc 2 :) 

I wonder which order is chronological, guess we'll have to see the movie to know if 'Pearls on Mul' is indeed the apropriate cue to be first.

"Big Market" is incredible. It feels like a perfect opening cue for a film, although I haven't seen it and don't know if it actually is the opening. 

That awesome melody... And then the wildly romantic/heroic bit.