Alexandre Desplat's Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets

antovolk

On 7/29/2017 at 7:14 PM, Chewy said:

Saw the film today, here are the cues heard in the movie in chronological order:

01 - Intro (0:27) [unreleased]
02 - Pearls On Mul (7:14)
03 - Dream (0:22) [unreleased]
04 - Landing (1:01) [unreleased]
05 - Reading The Memo pt. 1 (0:54)
06 - Big Market (2:06)
07 - Reading The Memo pt. 2 (0:22)
08 - Flight Above The Big Market (2:45)
09 - Trading The Pearl (1:12) [unreleased]
10 - Showtime (2:24)
11 - Heavy Balls (0:39) [unreleased]
12 - Adios (0:11) [unreleased]
13 - Leaving Big Market (0:33) [unreleased]
14 - Valerian In Trouble (1:22)
15 - Bus Attack (3:30) [7 sec insert unreleased]
16 - Uranium Washing (0:58) [unreleased]
17 - Access Denied (0:22) [unreleased]
18 - On The Beach (0:19) [unreleased]
19 - Arriving On Alpha (2:00)
20 - Radioactive Zone (1:05) [unreleased]
21 - Council (0:30) [unreleased]
22 - Prisoner (1:48) [unreleased]
23 - Guarding (0:42) [unreleased]
24 - Pearls Attack (4:05)
25 - Valerian's Armor (2:09)
26 - Spaceship Chase (3:34)
27 - Handcuffs (0:57) [unreleased]
28 - Searching Valerian (1:04) [unreleased]
29 - Submarine (2:40)
30 - Medusa (1:50)
31 - Shoot (1:36)
32 - Help us (0:57) [unreleased]
33 - Fishing For Butterflies (1:58)
34 - Paradise Alley (0:28) [unreleased]
35 - Bubble's Charm (0:40) [unreleased]
36 - Bubble (0:27)
37 - In Boulanbator Area (0:21) [unreleased]
38 - Le Souper Du Roi (2:00)
39 - Boulanbator Combat (3:15) [13 sec insert unreleased]
40 - Access Denied Again (1:24) [unreleased]
41 - Bubble's Death (1:57)
42 - Pearl's World (6:25)
43 - The City Of 1000 Planets (3:50)
44 - Mul Destruction (3:55) [unreleased]
45 - I Am A Soldier (2:04)
46 - Preparing The Assault (0:55) [unreleased]
47 - Pearls Power (1:50)
48 - Final Combat (8:29) [1:30 alternate ending unreleased]
49 - Only You On My Playlist (1:15) [unreleased]

So the CD tracks are in the correct order and the cool thing is that there is 0 microedit in the CD cues (not so used to seeing this, as a JW fan...).

The unreleased cues are mostly underscore and don't introduce any new theme or any particular interesting new sound.

Jesus, you were able to get all this from one viewing of the movie?

I liked it immediately on my first listen too!  The problem for me then was, the initial tracks are all very exciting, then it really peters off a bit, and doesn't end strong.

I've listened to it a lot more now, and actually listened to it in the car again this week.  I like this score more and more every time I listen!  I really notice all the themes now and think its funny I didn't really pick up on any of them the first time around.

This is a very fun, summer, popcorn score!

I am enjoying it though! 

Its not his best work but its good. I'll need to give it a few listens/see the movie to give an accurate opinion but I'm not regretting downloading it. 

On 8/3/2017 at 0:01 PM, Jay said:

I liked it immediately on my first listen too!  The problem for me then was, the initial tracks are all very exciting, then it really peters off a bit, and doesn't end strong.

I've listened to it a lot more now, and actually listened to it in the car again this week.  I like this score more and more every time I listen!  I really notice all the themes now and think its funny I didn't really pick up on any of them the first time around.

This is a very fun, summer, popcorn score!

Jay did you see the film?  Does the score work in the film?  I am very much on the fence on forking over my hard earned $17 to see this in the theater.  Even the orchestrator was lukewarm on this music.  Maybe it works if people approach this as fun rather than substance.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

$17???

Yes. :(

9 hours ago, publicist said:

What?

He thought the electronic elements were shoehorned and forced.  I believe some of it was done without Desplat's participation. 

4 hours ago, karelm said:

Yes. :(

He thought the electronic elements were shoehorned and forced.  I believe some of it was done without Desplat's participation. 

They at least sound like ACME do-it-yourself kits.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Do cinema's really charge $17 for a showing in LA???

I guess if its the modern theaters.  The bastards even tack on a service fee even if I purchase the ticket at the theater.  I went to a Star Trek double feature and that was $8 for two movies but I bet in your town it is probably $1?

Just got back from seeing the film and to be honest I thought it wasn't that bad, some silly typical Luc Besson stuff, but some of it was interesting enough. The score whilst it wasn't full on thematically-driven, it did carry the scenes nicely. Might pick up the score when I get the chance...

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a fantastic score - exciting, exuberant, bombastic, thematic. Why are you lot not celebrating this masterpiece? This is literally the only good score this year!

The themes are awesome but how about the sly references to all our favourite composers?

Take Showtime for example from 1:53 onwards - if that is not a Demolition Man homage, well.....

Spaceship Chase - 1990s Trevor Jones brass work in Last of the Mohicans and especially Freejack 1:55-3:03.

Pearls World - Beastmaster 2, Robert Folk 4:40 - 5:20

This guy knows how awesome film scoring was in the 1990s and he is an Oscar winner and a geek.

If you don't enjoy any of the scores I mentioned, maybe it's time for you to have a listen. So Disco Stu and Jay lack a proper understanding of 90s scores - wow - I am sad for you.

Well, I've never heard Beastmaster 2 or Freejack before, no.

Demolition Man is good, though!  One of the few Goldenthals I own

And Last of the Mohicans is good too, though I don't listen to it often

And I like the Valerian score very much!  I still listen to it regularly; Looking forward to seeing the film so I can appreciate it even more!

Yea, I never really think of those scores unless something comes up concerning them somehow.  But whenever I do listen to Mohicans twice a decade or so, I find a lot to like.

He's right about it being one of the best scores this year. It's my favourite if the year.

I've never even heard of some of those films never mind listened to the scores he's mentioned though. 

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

I haven't yet been entirely won over by this score. It doesn't quite grip me like such an adventure romp should.

I think the only true issue with this music is that the album feels a bit shapeless. Yes, there are several recurring themes and Desplat does what he can to make it colourful and fresh. But it never feels like goes from A to B to C and etc. All the pieces on the album are good but it never really builds up to anything. Having said that, I have started to enjoy the music quite a bit. Revisited it the other day after some weeks and it is still good. Still not a fan of the synth work though.

I guess in this rather weak year this score is probably destined to be a top effort of 2017. Here's hoping Elfman and Williams deliver later this year.

Karol

55 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I think the only true issue with this music is that the album feels a bit shapeless. Yes, there are several recurring themes and Desplat does what he can to make it colourful and fresh. But it never feels like goes from A to B to C and etc. All the pieces on the album are good but it never really builds up to anything. Having said that, I have started to enjoy the music quite a bit. Revisited it the other day after some weeks and it is still good. Still not a fan of the synth work though.

I guess in this rather weak year this score is probably destined to be a top effort of 2017. Here's hoping Elfman and Williams deliver later this year.

Karol

Agreed Karol, agreed.

You guys have inspired me to listen to this score today!

BTW @thestat, do you have any comments on the themes of the score at all?

Does this theme discussion seem right to you?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26678-alexandre-desplats-valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets/&do=findComment&comment=1371151

Yea, I guess I'm basically wondering if people were interesting in making a revised theme list now, with input from @thestat since he seems like know the score very well

Thanks Jay for being so courteous about my contribution to analysing this awesome score. I am afraid I don't have much to say about the themes outside. In the film, they follow a very typical structure - Valerian does something heroic, or sulks in a heroic manner, his theme etc.

The film is great by the way. Proper scifi with worldbuilding that works. Besson could have rethought his choice to cast DeHaan as the lead as, while he is a fine actor, he does not have the levity required for this role. He still tries and it works at times. Delvevigne is much, much better.

I am more concerned with Desplat the composer who seems to get a lot of flak for being too arty or not exciting enough. Well, it does not get any more blockbusterish-colourful and thematic than this. Once you see the film, the themes are obvious though labelling one of the final tracks as The City of a Thousand Planets is misleading.

Yes, this is very clearly not the rejected score to Rogue One. While Giacchino does a fine job, clearly Desplat is much superior in the fun stakes (bizarrely, considering his reputation) and providing action highlights that are dynamic and thematic. Valerian sounds much more like a Jerry Goldsmith score from the late 80s, early 90s (without sounding anything like one!) than anything Giacchino's done. It sounds cool and fun.

Yea I really want to see the film. Definitely will as soon as it comes out for home video. 

And that's funny, I was just listening to a podcast today and they said the same thing, that DeHaan was in over his head and should have been recast. Otherwise, they liked it too. 

The weakest part of the film for me is the writing for the two leads, many times they're given dialogue that's meant to come off as a witty remark or evoke a laugh, but it falls completely flat. I honestly think it's another Hayden Christensen scenario - an alright actor given hydraulic-compressor flat lines. Oscar-calibre actors can't make the dialogue better, so I don't think a recast could save that aspect.

Other than that the film is entertaining!

Is "Medusa" a Desplat cue, or adapted from a song? It's the only cue that sticks out to me from the rest of the score because it doesn't sound like anything else in it!

• 2 months later...

I've started working on a complete edit (using the film audio channels, with SFX, unfortunately). I'm keeping the same "cool" names I used when I listed the tracks.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:53 PM, Arpy said:

Is "Medusa" a Desplat cue, or adapted from a song? It's the only cue that sticks out to me from the rest of the score because it doesn't sound like anything else in it!

I believe it is purely Desplat original and not related to any songs.  It works great in the scene its written for