BloodBoal

I voted for the one I'm actually looking forward to. 

Never thought there'd be a score of any kind I'd be more excited for than a Star Wars one. 

Gia's use of Williams' themes is rather hamfisted and too often clumsily integrated with his own compositions, which have an air of competence to them, but little in the way of actual inspiration, surprise, delight or development. His new themes are unworthy of Star Wars! 

I also think that his use of Williams material is a bit heavy-handed. He uses it too much as a lazy crutch.

Plus, why does it need to be so light? Wasn't it supposed to be a war thriller?

Karol

I think Henry Jackman's Skull Island is better than both! It's the best score ever written. Okay it's the best score this year. Okay it's the best score of Jackman's career. Okay it's the best score of the day it was released. Okay it's shite.

I know I'll prefer Giacchino's just because it's Star Wars. The excitement and discussion and anticipation around a SW film and score can't really be matched, and that has an impact on how I perceive a score. In terms of actual merit though who knows which will be better.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This is the only film score forum I visit, being a relatively civilized person, so I have no idea how Rogue One has been received by other score enthusiasts.  Are the other haunts kinder than JWFan?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Are the other haunts kinder than JWFan?

Kinder? Definitely. More interesting? Hardly.

Considering the time constraints plus the inevitable comparisons with JW, I thought Giacchino did a pretty solid job. I've not got it on repeat but it doesn't make me bemoan the state of modern film music.

32 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

If Giacchino is revealed to have murdered all of you haters' families, then I will understand the bashing. Until then, carry on being pathetic.

And if you fans can't take a bit of criticism of your favourite composers then I suggest grow a thicker skin.

And none of these opinions invalidate your love for these said composers. Even that Giacchino fellow.

P.S. The two selections from Desplat's score haven't quite convinved me yet. Certainly some classic space opera orchestral tricks are present but I need more to form any kind of informed opinion on the matter.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

And if you fans can't take a bit of criticism of your favourite composers then I suggest grow a thicker skin. None of these opinions invalidate your fandom of these said composers.

And how many times do I have to say that I don't care about criticism of something I enjoy. What I do care about however, is unnecessary jabs at things, so people can feel like they're being smart or funny, when it just comes across as petty. I'm all for a bit of fun sarcasm at the expense of things, but for example, when people purposefully go onto threads that have nothing to do with Giacchino, just to let every one know that "hey guys! I still hate Giacchino. I hope you haven't forgotten!" It's pathetic. 

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

And how many times do I have to say that I don't care about criticism of something I enjoy. What I do care about however, is unnecessary jabs at things, so people can feel like they're being smart or funny, when it just comes across as petty. I'm all for a bit of fun sarcasm at the expense of things, but for example, when people purposefully go onto threads that have nothing to do with Giacchino, just to let every one know that "hey guys! I still hate Giacchino. I hope you haven't forgotten!" It's pathetic. 

Ignore these jabs if you can and let the light of your fandom shine through Lee Allen! Spread your enthusiasm regardless!

Just now, Stefancos said:

Or be like Mark Olivarez and just leave!

I miss Mark. :(

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Ignore these jabs if you can and let the light of your fandom shine through Lee Allen! Spread your enthusiasm regardless!

I need Galadriel for that. 

Desplat was replaced on Star Wars by Giacchino.

Desplat takes on another sci-fi project after Star Wars.

of course it's going to be compared. 

Rogue One was uninspired and dull. Ok, he only had 4 weeks on it but the rest of his output over the last few years has been equally uninspired and dull so I don't think extra time would have helped. In the end he managed something that was functional. I've barely listened to it since the film left theatres.

Book of Henry (and surprisingly) Jurassic World have both been enjoyable scores though. 

Jurassic World works even better outside the film I think, laregely because the out of place Williams nods don't seem so out of place with no picture. Most likely a spotting issue. 

10 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I need Galadriel for that. 

fotr1408.jpg

And for you, Lee Allen, I give you the light of Fandom Imperishable, our most beloved star. May it be a light to you in dark places when all other lights go out.

Jurassic World is probably one of his strongest works. I do like Rogue One too. But they have one thing in common... their respective main themes are the weakest things about them.

Karol

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

I think the main Jurassic World theme is fine (if anything, it's better than the Hope theme). Not great, but still, it gets the job done. I'd say the family theme is probably a bit weaker than it (the fact that its various statements all sound alike play a part in that).

Family theme sounds like Desplat!

By "main theme" in RO I meant Jyn's theme. Hope theme I actually like. I like how it anticipates Luke's theme.

Karol

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I think the main Jurassic World theme is fine (if anything, it's better than the Hope theme). Not great, but still, it gets the job done. I'd say the family theme is probably a bit weaker than it (the fact that its various statements all sound alike play a part in that).

I liked Jurassic World's main theme much more than Hope.

47 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

P.S.: 40 000th post! WOOHOO! Let's celebrate with some music!

And you wasted that on a post defending Giacchino?

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

40.000 is not much to celebrate

While you'll be at 140,000 before episode IX comes out!