Passengers (Thomas Newman)

Thor

This film is one of the big events me for this year -- not only because director Morten Tyldum is Norwegian, but also because I love the premise.

The trailer was just released:

I think it looks absolutely fantastic -- exceeding my expectations. Hopefully, the film is able to live up to the trailer. Also extremely curious about what Thomas Newman can do for a project like this, of course. WALL-E was hardly a traditional space sci fi, so this requires something else altogether.

54 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

What the hell is with this trend now of putting a 5 second trailer for the trailer before the trailer?

it's so when this YT link is used for ads on YT or it's on FB or any sites with autoplay, you see the cast and logo first and it'd count as a 'view'.

48 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Lawrence and Pratt doing serious s-f? Please...

Karol

this is anything but :P big fun date movie blockbuster....

What were you guys expecting? Hadn't you read in advance that it was a 'romantic movie' set in space? Did you think it was a horror movie?

Be that as it may, it seems to have a very gripping, suspenseful third act -- there's definitely a tone change going on at that point.

I think it looks wonderful in all acts; so many details and turns going on here. Bring it on, Morten! It's the biggest Hollywood movie ever directed by a Norwegian (no offense to Harald Zwart's KARATE KID movie).

9 hours ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

And starring a Norwegian-American.

We're taking over Hollywood... slowly but surely.

I didn't realize you were Norwegian too -- or are you talking about the Nordic people in general?

On 20-9-2016 at 9:55 PM, Stefancos said:

The look of the film is sterile.

Did you pick up the reference to the king of sterile, also known as Stanley Kubrick? Why didn't they get Joe Turkel for the part?! And yes, as an expert trailer reader, this film is going to suck big time. Of course, this opinion will not be shared by those who love cliché disaster movies (Gravity, The Martian, ...)

I believed the hotel in The Shining, I believed the Nostromo, ... but this? It looks like a commercial and not like a practical environment. Didn't they learn anything? Then there's that awful music, the boring disaster with explosions. It's too Thor-like!

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I believed the hotel in The Shining, I believed the Nostromo, 

Nostromo wasnt Kubrick though. ;)

This actually looks like Prometheus more then Alien. Thor will loooove it.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They should have made it look more like Star Trek! ;)

It's not only the actors or the background, it's the whole commercial-like way it feels. Scott shot more than 2000 commercials before he made his first movie but he always created a credible world. 

SilentRunning-7-LG.jpg

Talking about credible worlds, please give this man a lightsaber!

Right, Alex. In commercials, you have 90 seconds, at most, to create a world that is credible, or, at least, plausible.

Look at Scott's Hovis ads; not only are they just wonderful to look at, they also manage to present a point of view.

As regards to PASSENGERS, this will make good beer-and-pizza viewing, as befitting its two beer-and-pizza leads. If a film wants to present itself as beautiful-looking, but patronizing about its subject-matter, and acting ability, then I am happy to treat it in the same way.

Yeah, I love the sterile look! No doubt inspired by things like 2001 or LOGAN'S RUN, just as the look of the android bartender seems clearly molded on the bartender in THE SHINING.

References in sci fi will always be there (and I'm thankful that they are); I doubt we're going to see something that completely redefines the genre in every possible aspect. The key is to instill the material with your own voice, and "embrace" the references as such. Heck, there has been references in sci fi ever since the first one, VOYAGE DANS LA LUNE in 1902.

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Maybe sci-fi in cinema can only move forward if people stop referencing old classics?

I don't think the makers of Passengers had the aspiration to move forward. To me it seems like the next big disaster movie exploiting the success of Gravity and The Martian.

I see.

Well, it seems like most of you have made up your mind already. For my part, I'm optimistic based on the trailer -- there are so many elements to be enthusiastic about here (Tyldum, Newman & sci fi, the premise, the visual ideas, the suspenseful third act etc.), but I'll reserve proper judgement untill I've seen it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...