James Newton Howard's Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

leeallen01

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/09/22/watertower-music-to-release-fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-soundtrack/

Score released November 4th by Watertower. Apparently we're getting a Vinyl edition too. They must be excited by the score if they're putting money into a Vinyl release.

41 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's probably more a merchandising decision then a creative one.

Of course it was!

Looking forward to this score, hope its good.

Soundtracks for new films are marketing tools.  They are funded out of the marketing budget for the film itself.  The reason the studios make OSTs happen is they sell, and generate interest in the film itself while doing it.  If a studio exec decided a vinyl release would sell enough and get enough people talking about the film, they greenlit it.  It wasn't because JNH really wanted his music to be heard that way.

After several trailers, I still can't quite grasp the concept of what this film is supposed to be about. I kind of understand who the main character is... but what is the story? No clue. Looks a bit boring, to be honest. Especially if you're not into Harry Potter thing.

But I'll take a good JNH score, why not.

Karol

As I understand it, it's about a magical creatures professor who goes from the UK to NYC with some cretures who break free but aren't supposed to and apparently there's lots of anti-wizard people in the US... And I'm sure it'll be boring with Yates directing.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

I kind of understand who the main character is... but what is the story? No clue.

I think it's about a guy who runs around collecting escaped creatures... a snoozefest to be sure.

1 hour ago, Skelly said:

I think it's about a guy who runs around collecting escaped creatures... a snoozefest to be sure.

I especially love how people who The Wizarding World is a little too literary and academic for try and downplay it and bash it in this manner. Boring is such a lame excuse to not see a film, because the trailers they've showed us have been reviewed excellently. 

And the film is far more than that. Unlike Star Wars, JK Rowling writes stories with intelligence and thematic heft about her own dark experiences in life. 

"In 1926, Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) arrives at the Magical Congress of the United States of America for a meeting with an important official. At this meeting is a magically expanded briefcase, which houses a number of dangerous creatures and their habitats. When the creatures escape from the briefcase, it sends the American wizarding authorities after Newt.

The situation threatens to strain even further the state of magical and non-magical relations, which is already in a dangerous place, due to the threatening presence of the fanatical New Salem Philanthropic Society, an extremist organization dedicated to the eradication of wizard-kind. Newt battles to correct the mistake, and the horrors of the resultant increase in violence, fear, and tension felt between magical and non-magical peoples."

• Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander,[1] an eccentric, introverted wizard, the future author of the textbook Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and an employee at the British Ministry of Magic.
  • Katherine Waterston as Porpentina "Tina" Goldstein,[2] a down-to-earth and grounded witch and former Auror working for the Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA), who longs to fight for what's right but forced to work in an office well below her skill level.
  • Dan Fogler as Jacob Kowalski, a newly single No-Maj factory worker and aspiring baker who is exposed to the New York City magical community after he meets Newt.[3]
  • Alison Sudol as Queenie Goldstein,[4][5]Porpentina's younger sister and roommate, described as a bombshell, free-spirited and big-hearted, and an accomplished Legilimens.
  • Colin Farrell as Percival Graves,[6] a high-ranking Auror and the Director of Magical Security for MACUSA, who is in charge of the protection of wizards and set with the task of tracking down Newt.
  • Samantha Morton as Mary Lou,[7] a narrow-minded No-Maj and the sinister leader of the New Salem Philanthropic Society (the NSPS, or "The Second-Salemers"), an extremist group whose goals include exposing and killing wizards and witches.
  • Ezra Miller as Credence,[8][9][10] Mary Lou's troubled and mysterious adopted son.
  • Carmen Ejogo as President Seraphina Picquery, the President of MACUSA.
  • Jon Voight[11] as Henry Shaw, Sr., US senator Henry Shaw Jr.'s father.
  • Josh Cowdery as Henry Shaw Jr., a US senator who holds a rally picketed by the New Salem Philanthropic Society
  • Ron Perlman[12] as Gnarlack, a goblin gangster who owns a speakeasy nightclub who comes across Newt.
  • Faith Wood-Blagrove as Modesty,[13] a haunted young girl with the ability to see deep into people and has an inner strength and stillness.
  • Jenn Murray as Chastity[8][14]
  • Gemma Chan
  • George Najsarek
  • Zoë Kravitz[15]

its funny how people seem to just hate JKWW brand. For no apparent reason. 

The trailers have been reviewed excellently? Great! That doesn't mean I have to like what I see.

Also, I don't think 'boring' is a lame excuse to not see a film. I don't want to spend ~$10 and 3 hours on a visit to the theater if I don't expect to like the film in question.

Dcasey, I'm going to ask a question, and I want you to answer honestly: are you JK Rowling and/or David Yates in disguise? I've never seen someone so adamant about a book about a teen wizard.

Yates' sleep-inducing direction is enough to convince me to wait for home video on this one.

I love JNH to bits though; hopefully he isn't neutered by Yates' awful direction. The guy has zero grasp on dynamic filmmaking or how to maintain his audience's attention, let alone inform a composer on the type of score his films desperately need to carry any dramatic weight.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah! And there's no HP Ring Theory, is there??

I'm sure some people are working on that :sigh:

There is a bit of symmetry going on with Potter's structure, anyway.

Okay, this is going to be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. What exactly is so special about Cuaron's sytle in HP3 that makes so many people extatic? I mean, not that I don't like the film, but what makes it stand out that much? I guess that misisng the visual aspect will undoubtedly be the result of my ignorance on this subject.

21 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Okay, this is going to be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. What exactly is so special about Cuaron's sytle in HP3 that makes so many people extatic? I mean, not that I don't like the film, but what makes it stand out that much? I guess that misisng the visual aspect will undoubtedly be the result of my ignorance on this subject.

Columbus's two films have some very cool-looking shots, but Cuaron takes it to a new level. It almost seems like he transitions from Columbus's style to his own; the Aunt Marge and Knight Bus sequences feel like Columbus films, but when Mr. Weasley warns Harry, the whole conversation takes place over one long shot (a conversation which marks the start of the core plot of the story). That's Cuaron's style for the film: ambitious and visually interesting tracking shots.

3 hours ago, Skelly said:

One thing I don't like about the film is its ending... it ends on a freeze-frame of Harry's blurred face. I don't know what Cuaron was going for with that...

Some have said it's supposed to be a homage to the ending from Truffaut's The 400 Blows

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes!

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah! And there's no HP Ring Theory, is there??

Indeed! 

EDIT: Sorry @Jay!

This was posted on JNH's new facebook page created for his tour. The translation is a little off, but easily understood. Lucky guy got to hear the score being recorded. So JNH seemed to have finished recording sometime early september perhaps.

Here's the link to the facebook page - https://m.facebook.com/JamesNewtonHowardOfficial/?tsid=0.9062422995921224&source=typeahead

Screenshot_2016-09-24-23-07-32.png

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Can we keep this thread focused on JNH's score please? We already have a thread for the movie, as well as a thread for all Harry Potter stuff. Thanks. 

Give us the score and we'll talk about it! ;)

11 hours ago, Skelly said:

Dcasey, I'm going to ask a question, and I want you to answer honestly: are you JK Rowling and/or David Yates in disguise? I've never seen someone so adamant about a book about a teen wizard.

Obvious troll is obvious.