James Newton Howard's Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

leeallen01

Dunno, don't think so!

Just finished my first listen....yeah, this is pretty wonderful.

I have to stop short of calling it truly great atm because these 72 minutes felt kind of scatterbrained to me. Themes at the beginning disappearing, new melodies appearing seemingly out of nowhere at the end with these huge statements. So I hope the rest of the score fills in the blanks.

But wow this has some great moments, that first track did not represent the best of this score at all. So much color, the action music IS fun, those surprising bursts of dance-like energy in "The Erumpent" and "Tina and Newt Trial etc." The dark/atmospheric underscore has cooler stuff going on than I expected from the first track. Definitely felt an emotional arc hinted at here which again I hope becomes more defined with the complete score because I sense there's some key stuff missing from this program. Even so, that big moment around five minutes into the 12-minute track resonates. 

Oh yeah, and I only caught two "Hedwig's Theme" references: the one we already heard in the main title, and then a quick nod to the B theme toward the end of the second track.

Overall great score. But the magic kind of fades away during the score. At the end there is still great melodies, great action pieces and colors and shapes. But I agree with @mrbellamy that themes gets lost during the first listening :) 

Anyway, I'm really pleased with what I hear. No useless and uninspired background music in this. :) 

Keywords are : Magic and fun

Lots of little gorgeous variations of his themes. Also lots of solo melodic moments that just appear once, which I'm happy about. Choir is glorious and well emphasised.

I'm already hearing thematic connections throughout the score. Like the little fussy comedic theme.

Do people think that this theme at 5:28

Is the same theme as this Elfman-style theme in this piece? Not sure if it's the same, but sounds connected.

I can sort of hear it. Might make sense if the "close friend" refers to Kowalski (the theme is "Kowalski's Rag" from the preview) having some heart-to-heart with Newt, or somebody else.

Really like that theme. The accompaniment for the 2:04 statement in the top track is great!

Was just about to post that haha. I had to stop and just listen to that section a few times, so gloriously unexpected. Also fits right in with Doyle's Yule Ball waltzes. Just wish it was longer! :P

Thought this was really fun too:

Wondering if it's just a setpiece theme or represents anything, since he also brings it out in the end titles.

Completely agree about the disjointed/incomplete feeling as I mentioned earlier, but again I'm reserving judgment on that until the film and the deluxe tracks are released. Still think there's a lot to love in here, I'm more at 8/10 right now.

Also agree that what you're referring to as Newt's theme (that big one at the end of the main title track, with a few other moments here and there like "Inside the Case" for example?) is probably the weakest of the many ideas on offer here.

I think because of there being so many little melodic moments, that figuring out the themes and their big or little reprisals is going to take a few listens, like with most big fantasy scores. I'm already hearing so much more connections on my current listen. 

Also with this being the standard release, there is a lot more music still to be heard, so I expect further thematic connections and clarity. Plus actually seeing the film and getting the visual indications will immediately clear up a lot of thematic questions.

Yeah, this is 72 minutes so I think the jury's still out, except for how it works as a standalone OST which I'm mixed on after one listen. I don't think this is a great album. But it doesn't feel like he's holding back which is my big takeaway and gives me hope for the score getting some really nice film-elevating moments.

Why are they doing this? I'm trying to keep my vow and stay away from this whole score until I've seen the film. I hate listening to a score without having had the context first... Must, resist, temptation...

And here is even more thematic development for two more themes. It's easy to hear when you go back and listen again.

This piece has many early and initial statements of later themes in it, yet the piece appears quite subdued and quiet, but he is slowly introducing us to many important themes.

First is the main theme at 0.05 of course. 

Second is at 1:06, which is the huge theme heard in this piece at 2:40 -

Third is at 1:31, which is the A section of the bouncing theme heard later. And also at 2:10 is the B section of the bouncing theme, which combines with the A section to form the full theme.

I had no particular expectations for this score but was interested to hear how it turned out. Well that was largely an ok album. Nothing particularly exciting with a feel that it consisted of individual pieces rather than anything resembling some kind of musical whole with very little to latch onto emotionally for me. I can't feel that there is progression from point A to B to C with any of this material in a larger arc.

Often we do get the feeling the a piece might be going somewhere, that there might be some kind of climax or final statement but most of the time it never comes or peters out unsatifyingly as we are whisked to another tempo or mood change. It's film music of course and it is vulnerable to the changes in the film but I smell Yates' micromanaging all over this. The grandest moments, while impressive in themselves, can't save the score as a whole for me.

And for some reason I have a nagging feeling much of the music meant to be emotional was temp tracked with Edward Scissorhands.

Oh and a some kind of memorable theme, while not a prerequisite for every film score, would have been a nice anchor for a score set in the Potter-verse.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Yep, that's the one.

At 00:23 in Inside The Case, for example:

That isn't Newt's theme. That is the build-up he uses to bring it in. Newt's theme is at 1:19.

30 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

That isn't Newt's theme. That is the build-up he uses to bring it in. Newt's theme is at 1:19.

I think this is the B phrase of the same theme (the A phrase being the melody I mentioned). Anyway, my point still stands. Not a big fan of it.

Oh shoot. This is out now too? 

I still haven't listened to Horner's Airplanes, finished my BFG analysis, finished FOTR DVD which I got from the library, or even started AI which I also got from the library. Plus I was getting ready to listen to a TESB edit soon... Oh, and I'm in the middle of listening to a War Horse edit.

Well, hopefully I can use the weekend to catch up. 

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

59 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I think this is the B phrase of the same theme (the A phrase being the melody I mentioned). Anyway, my point still stands. Not a big fan of it.

To me I would say you're sort of both right, that 1:19 is really the heart of it but that the building ostinato with the chord changes is all part of the same overarching idea that could (presumably) be called "Newt's Theme." 

And yeah, this theme was a slight disappointment for me, since I was hoping that the statement in the first track was simply hinting at something more elaborate, but it seems like that's pretty much all it is. Also agree with Inky's criticisms about the lack of real standout cohesive tracks or a strong arc, again this feels pretty scatterbrained and "film score-y" in the structure of the individual pieces. But the small moments were plenty enough to keep me engaged listening throughout. 

This score actually reminds me a lot of BFG in the sense that it never quite fully satisfies as a complete narrative despite delivering several bursts of great listening and overall very accomplished fantasy orchestration. Also the dance-like feeling of the various themes and setpieces, waltzes and balletic underscore and that kind of thing. I also expect that like BFG it'll certainly make more "sense" to me after seeing the film. I think the highs are actually slightly higher here, though, and I did probably enjoy my first listen of this more, possibly because of lower expectations. 

Everytime I see you guys say "Newt's Theme" I think of Horner's Aliens score and am like "Newt didn't have a theme..."

I know this was released weeks ago but I really like the figure/motif from 0:19 to 0:39 in the Main Title. Its really imposing and big. Sounds pretty impressive.

Is that reprised in a similar form through the soundtrack?

On 10/22/2016 at 1:24 PM, mrbellamy said:

Probably risking looking like an over-eager ignoramus :P I doubt this is from the score but anybody know what this is?

Not enough of an expert to know if it's something by one of the Russian masters or just pastiche.

So given what we've heard of the music, I'm now a lot more inclined to think this is actually from the score. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I really love the action music in Tina and Newt Trial/Let's Get the Good Stuff Out/You're One of Us Now/Swooping Evil

Really?!!!

wow I uh... felt things. kind of feel bad for almost writing off the entire score from the main track, hell even the beginning is starting to grow on me. lots of emotional high points where the score just gripped me and it kind of single-handedly made me actually want to watch the movie now. funny how people were worried about the action music when in my opinion it's one of the score's strongest points. another thing I enjoyed was the orchestration which was gorgeous and at times recalled Williams work on the Potter movies. I picked up on a few themes but I feel like those don't really cement until you've heard the score again or seen the movie, and now I actually want to see the movie. from the music it tells me there's actually going to be a balance between whimsy and darkness, which for something directed by Yates is unusual to me, and might actually mean I could enjoy the film.

Pieces like this show JNH's mastery of emotion within storytelling. At 5:00 - 7:20, it is clearly a highly powerful moment in the film, and after building the orchestra in a crescendo, he doesn't do the expected thing; which could be a short loud fanfare, or a blast of sound to declare the power of the scene, instead he has a two minute rendition of one of his themes. And not a hugely heroic theme either, just a small theme that melodically rises and falls so beautifully.

46 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Pieces like this show JNH's mastery of emotion within storytelling. At 5:00 - 7:20, it is clearly a highly powerful moment in the film, and after building the orchestra in a crescendo, he doesn't do the expected thing; which could be a short loud fanfare, or a blast of sound to declare the power of the scene, instead he has a two minute rendition of one of his themes. And not a hugely heroic theme either, just a small theme that melodically rises and falls so beautifully.

I've been a silent reader, but often post a thread on nextdoor board, but...

It really frustates me that the theme you mentioned ( which itself, you said it, a variation of Kolwalski theme, which in part, is kinda true) is really similar almost note to note and progression to Edward Scissorhands's and in part to The Polar Express 

it's kinda sad to hear such a blatant temp tracking, and its really disappointing.

Still, as a whole, this is a high-4 stars score, helped by some greats moments scattered here and there, and as a welcome back for a more "organic" old-classic JNH

Really, it's much more beautiful on repeat listen.

Some new wonder i found

This track really represents the wonder of the magical land and creatures inside the case, especially from 2:00 onwards, it really feels like it belongs to Jurassic Park movie, with all of that playful woodwinds and rising strings progression, it really brings joy and nostalgia, and it really feels like i can play and touch the dinosaurs (brachiosaurus comes to mind). 

What amzed me is that, this track is so subtle and calm, yet brings so much powerful feeling. Congrats JNH!! I forgive you for that Edward Scissorhand rip off

Having skimmed through bits of this at work, I'm pleased with the direction he's gone for the action-oriented bits. Gone is the Hunger Games style rubbish. Some bits of this sound like alternate cues from Kong, and that's really good. I guess he'd claim that the two films require a different approach, but I'd counter that his newer action style is just boring.

His themes might take a while to sink in properly, but so far this is promising.

I'm pleasantly surprised by any clips I've seen so far. The music isn't being thrown aside. It seems Yates really took to JNH and wants to do his music justice.

I'm really looking forward to hearing even the lovely subtleties of his score during the film, as well as the huge wonderment moments when things are unveiled and heroics occur.

A good and honest interview with JNH about Fantastic Beasts.

http://flavorwire.com/593243/composer-james-newton-howard-discusses-scoring-a-certain-film-about-fantastic-beasts-and-much-more-in-1920s-new-york 

One of the best quotes from JNH in the interview: "Most movies aren't very good, let’s face it. So you’re dealing with the banal quite a bit."

There was one case in particular where I felt that maybe I really helped bring the thing to life. It was an interesting conversation between David and I about one of these beasts who — I won’t reveal which — can be quite frightening, but in the end, we decided to take quite a romantic approach to it. And it was really charming and funny and revealed the real essence of the creature.

Guessing that's the Erumpent.