James Newton Howard's Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

leeallen01

29 minutes ago, Will said:

That translation... :lol:

It's actually not that bad as far as Internet translations go. I kind of doubt they actually talked about "creation", though!

18 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Obvious troll is obvious. 

Who, him or me?

There's a preview of the LP on facebook out. Not sure if it's the music playing though.

http://smarturl.it/fb_pic

Available 11/4 – Music from the motion picture #FantasticBeasts and Where to Find Them – Limited Edition - Collectable 12" Picture Disc LP! Featuring two early demos by JamesNewtonHoward that helped shape the musical vision for the film. Pressed onto unique artwork and NOT available anywhere else! Pre-order your copy now before it sells out! http://smarturl.it/fb_pic

Posted by Fantastic Beasts Movie on Freitag, 30. September 2016

2 hours ago, RPurton said:

There's a preview of the LP on facebook out. Not sure if it's the music playing though.

http://smarturl.it/fb_pic

That sounds like JNH to me, definitely.

Interesting that it says the Vinyl features two early recordings by JNH (not heard anywhere else). I'm guessing those will be his early ideas and suites he puts together for the film-makers.

I'm confused though. Is this vinyl the entire score, including two early recordings, or is it just the two recordings? The websites make it sound like just the demos...

Yeah, I don't know. Those two samples in the clip sound like mock-ups, but that'd be weird if that's all they're putting out on the vinyl...I can't imagine that's anything but a bonus.

Anyway, I like the tunes.

Yeah they definitely sound like demos, which makes me think it's just the demos. And the track listing only lists 2 tracks, which also supports the theory of it only being the two demos. Very strange if so.

It says on the description of the vinyl that it includes two early demo pieces from JNH before he recorded the score. 

But strangely it doesn't say that the Vinyl is the actual full score. Bad advertising. 

In that case I won't even consider it. I remember buying the DH1 limited edition and Amazon's website clearly stated that the vinyl contained the soundtrack. It only contained the first two tracks, wasn't even an 33rpm vinyl...

I get increasingly annoyed how vinyl's resurgence has kind of stultified the creativity that went into CD packaging. The only way sometimes one could acquire the artworks and inserts is to purchase the vinyl. Vinyl doesn't even sound acceptable!

On 10/3/2016 at 4:04 AM, bollemanneke said:

But you hear more details...

That's a difference in mastering, not a default advantage of vinyl itself. You'd hear the same details on other formats if the studios mastered things differently.

It seems to me that JNH is being held back. He only has the full freedom recently in a casual film here and there. Maleficent being the most recent film where he was seemingly let loose to do his thing. 

This sounds like he was given a temp score and a demand for the usual string ostinatos, which he has clearly tried to make his own,  but that still sound like RCP.

Sadly I think he wasn't given the freedom to do what he ultimately would have given us if it had been his choice, which was fully orchestral, like the great New York stuff of his Kong score and the pure orchestral fantasy of Water Horse and Peter Pan, etc instead of the obvious electronic beats, generic strings and a wish wash of some of his previous work. But pieces like 'Kawalski's Rag' tells me there is going to be that 30's New York sound.

Not thrilled by this piece, but am liking it more with each listen and I'm hugely optimistic that the rest of the score has some gems and classic 90's/early 2000's fantasy JNH.

This is the epitome of what I want from his Fantastic Beasts score - 

Seems like a very long score too by the looks of it. 95 minutes by my rough count. Some nice lengthy pieces.

Track listing:

1. Main Titles – Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (2:54)

2. There Are Witches Among Us / The Bank / The Niffler (6:53)

3. Tina Takes Newt In / Macusa Headquarters (1:56)

4. Pie or Strudel / Escaping Queenie and Tina’s Place (3:05)

5. Credence Hands Out Leaflets (2:03)

6. Inside the Case (9:08)

7. The Erumpent (3:28)

8. In the Cells (2:10)

9. Tina and Newt Trial / Let’s Get the Good Stuff Out / You’re One of Us Now / Swooping Evil (7:59)

10. Gnarlak Negotiations (2:57)

11. The Demiguise and the Occamy (4:06)

12. A Close Friend (1:51)

13. The Obscurus / Rooftop Chase (3:48)

14. He’s Listening To You Tina (2:05)

15. Relieve Him of His Wand / Newt Releases the Thunderbird / Jacob’s Farewell (12:33)

16. Newt Says Goodbye to Tina / Jacob’s Bakery (3:26)

17. End Titles – Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (2:21)

18. A Man and His Beasts (Bonus Track) (8:31)

19. Soup and Leaflets (Bonus Track) (2:19)

20. Billywig (Bonus Track) (1:31)

21. The Demiguise and the Lollipop (Bonus Track) (0:58)

22. I’m Not Your Ma (Bonus Track) (2:04)

23. Blind Pig (Bonus Track) (1:29)

24. Newt Talks To Credence (Bonus Track) (2:13)

25. End Titles Pt.2 – Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (Bonus Track) (1:22)

26. Kowalski Rag (Bonus Track) (5:12)

Hedwig's theme is Hedwig's them. The next 1:45 seconds are generic RCP crap. The final 50 seconds are quite nice if unexceptional. 

21 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Hedwig's theme is Hedwig's them. The next 1:45 seconds are generic RCP crap. The final 50 seconds are quite nice if unexceptional. 

Basically a perfect summary. Hedwig's Theme feels forced, as does the little note variation JNH does at the end. The theme is fine as is!

Exclusive: Pottermore debuts the main theme from the soundtrack for Fantastic Beasts

The Pottermore Correspondent

FB_Sdtk_Banner_1330x750px_Pottermore_01_

FRIDAY 7TH OCT 2016

Pottermore is delighted to officially debut the very first track from the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them soundtrack, available 18 November.
If you’ve seen any of the trailers for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, you will have heard little snippets of the soundtrack. You already know how extraordinary it is.

Grammy and Emmy Award-winning composer James Newton Howard has done an exquisite job. As you’d expect him to – James has worked on some serious classics, including The Hunger Games franchise, The Dark Knight, Snow White and the Huntsman and Pretty Woman.

Fantastic_Beasts_Standard_Sdtk_Cover_01_

The cover for the original motion picture soundtrack: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
We are thrilled to be able to play you one of his new songs. It’s the opening track to the movie and it’s really something.

As you’ll hear, the song starts out with a familiar tune. One that’ll make you shiver with nostalgia: a few bars of 'Hedwig’s Theme', and we’re swept into the new main title track for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Like the movie, it’s epic, dramatic, playful and beautiful. And it’s right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBOMpfxsUpk

James spent seven months writing the Fantastic Beasts soundtrack. For this particular track, as well as Newt Scamander’s theme, he sat down at his piano and just played until it came.

‘You hear the main theme song of the movie play when the main crew arrive at the MACUSA the first time and various other times,’ he tells me. ‘You hear this haunting kind of theme. If you had to say what is the theme for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them for now and in the future, it would be that theme. I wrote it on my piano because I believe that if that kind of thing is going to be good, it should be done that simply.’

Fantastic_Beasts_DELUXE_Sdtk_Full_Packsh

The interior of the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them soundtrack pack.
The standard soundtrack is 72 minutes of new music by James, including songs called ‘There Are Witches Among Us’, ‘Gnarlak Negotiations’ and ‘Newt Releases the Thunderbird’.

The deluxe edition, also available on 18 November, is nearly 100 minutes long, with 26 songs. That second album includes songs like ‘The Demiguise and the Lollipop’, ‘I’m Not Your Ma’ and ‘Kowalski Rag’ – all of which seem like they might be clues, if you’re trying to piece together as much information about the film as you possibly can before it comes out.

Fantastic_Beasts_DELUXE_Sdtk_Front_Packs
The packaging for the original motion picture soundtrack for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
The Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them soundtrack is now available for preorder from Amazon and iTunes. The track list is as follows:

1.  Main Titles - Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
2.  There Are Witches Among Us / The Bank / The Niffler
3.  Tina Takes Newt In / Macusa Headquarters
4.  Pie or Strudel / Escaping Queenie and Tina’s Place
5.  Credence Hands Out Leaflets
6.  Inside The Case
7.  The Erumpent
8.  In The Cells
9.  Tina and Newt Trial / Let’s Get The Good Stuff Out / You’re One of Us Now / Swooping Evil
10.  Gnarlak Negotiations
11.  The Demiguise and The Occamy
12.  A Close Friend
13.  The Obscurus / Rooftop Chase
14.  He’s Listening To You Tina
15.  Relieve Him of His Wand / Newt Releases The Thunderbird / Jacob’s Farewell
16.  Newt Says Goodbye to Tina / Jacob’s Bakery
17.  End Titles - Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

Deluxe: Bonus – Disc 2

1.  A Man and His Beasts
2.  Soup and Leaflets
3.  Billywig
4.  The Demiguise and The Lollipop
5.  I’m Not Your Ma
6.  Blind Pig performed by Emmi
7.  Newt Talks To Credence
8.  End Titles Pt.2 - Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
9.  Kowalski Rag

https://www.pottermore.com/news/pottermore-officially-debuts-main-theme-from-fantastic-beasts-soundtrack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYQ4DGV

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1161919536

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=By22wek2haj2xoojgteu4ofvsli

James has worked on some serious classics, including The Hunger Games franchise, The Dark Knight, Snow White and the Huntsman and Pretty Woman.

Oh my.

Reserving judgment of course but that first track is less than I expected. Been hoping for this to be an easy 4th place at least, but second thoughts are creeping in.

Also "Hedwig's Theme" feels like a studio memo and sounds suspiciously like Hooper's OOTP title?

Other than the (mild) electronic effects, I liked the track. :) The RCP portion doesn't sound bad to me, and the quirky theme on staccato strings and lush tune near the end are lovely. Looking forward to the rest of the score.

His last few years of music have had one thing in common for me: occasionally inspired melodic moments, and utterly unremarkable action music.

The fact that he spent seven months writing this is probably not something to get excited about. If he was told to stay largely in RCP mode, more time ain't going to help there.

Oh my lord, that track is shockingly bad.

Hedwig's Theme sounds like an amateur recording. Seriously, why does nobody after Williams know how to use that theme?

Desplat is gold compared to this. But thinking about it, I said that about every successive Potter score.

Except Half Blood Prince, which is just unparalleled horseshit.