Episode VIII Teaser and Trailer music

TheUlyssesian

Episode VII - following themes were reprised

Teaser - Luke's Theme 

Teaser 2 - Force Theme 

Trailer - Han and Leia, Force Theme and Luke's Theme

(and some TV spots used Yoda's theme and Jedi Steps)

Here is what I would propose

Teaser - Jedi Steps (the track can function as natural crescendo music because its builds to the incredibly dramatic third statement of the theme followed by the force theme. Teaser can set up the mystery of Rey's search for answers and tease what she is going to discover, start off where VII left off)

Teaser 2 - Force Theme & March of the Resistance (showing a bit of the Resistance preparations to show a bit of the First Order)

Trailer - a full blown showcase for Rey's Theme followed by Luke's theme

I think it is important to showcase the new themes in the trailers because they really help certain themes take root in the general consciousness. It will greatly help VII's themes to gain familiarity from audiences - I feel the familiarity is still not quite there, atleast not up with the old themes. So they should air the new themes instead of the thousandant iteration of the Force theme or Luke's theme.

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Star Wars needs more of those phat low bass region drones to be more hip with the youngsters. Johnny should brush up his dubstep skillz for the sequel.

Heck, why stop there? Just ask Hans Zimmer to write the music for the trailers, accompanied by Junkie XL!

9 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Misleading title!  But I imagine they'll get trailer-house composers to make an epic new rendition of the Force theme and people on youtube will say "wow!, this is better than anything in The Force Awakens"

And you know what, even people on JWFan may say that. Because with TFA teaser 2 everyone said the music was totally amazing, and I agreed, but it turns out it was by a music house. People here, many very musically knowledgeable, were actually saying things like, "Williams knocked it out of the park," and such.

Confidential Music seems to be the go-to company for a lot of custom arrangements. They did the "music" for the Rogue One teaser. Although for the TFA trailer, the arrangements were by some guy named Frederick Lloyd (Confidential did the opening piano part).

Disney will probably hire Confidential again for Episode VIII's marketing.

On 9/26/2016 at 9:22 AM, Skelly said:

Confidential Music seems to be the go-to company for a lot of custom arrangements. They did the "music" for the Rogue One teaser. Although for the TFA trailer, the arrangements were by some guy named Frederick Lloyd (Confidential did the opening piano part).

Disney will probably hire Confidential again for Episode VIII's marketing.

Actually, Confidential isn't the only company that's done SW teaser/trailer/TV spot music recently. TFA teaser 1 was worked on by Orphan Music and Felix Erksine (although it was a minor role since JW's own cue was used). They also did the final music in teaser 2 (although it could have been based on JW's rejected cue, who knows) as well as working on several TV spots. Confidential did the TFA theatrical trailer and the RO teaser. Superhuman did the most recent RO trailer.

So we have no idea who will be doing each Episode 8 thing. It's a good bet it will alternate between various music houses (and if we're lucky JW himself will be involved in a trailer or two).

The Hit House is another trailer music production company that's been involved in making a few interesting custom mixes lately (most notably their "Bare Necessities" arrangements for the live-action Jungle Book film). Nine times out of ten, though, the general public doesn't and can't know which companies are involved until the day the trailer releases (at which time the companies go to Facebook or wherever and get all excited).

I don't know what Debney did for the film that might have made it into the trailers; I haven't listened to his score. But the Hit House produced at least two arrangements for the marketing.

2 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

I thought they used one of Debney' s variations?

There's been a suggestion (although I don't know if we have any real source) that the Hit House took Debney's film cue and re-arranged it for the trailer. 

EDIT: But this article on the music house's site makes no mention of Debney - http://www.thehithouse.com/welcome-to-our-jungle/

From that article - "'The Bare Necessities' is arranged, performed, recorded, and whistled by Scott Miller and William Hunt".

Those two men are both HH producers. The article makes it seem, unless they are exaggerating their involvement, that the arrangement is a Hit House production through and through.

9 minutes ago, Skelly said:

From that article - "'The Bare Necessities' is arranged, performed, recorded, and whistled by Scott Miller and William Hunt".

Those two men are both HH producers. The article makes it seem, unless they are exaggerating their involvement, that the arrangement is a Hit House production through and through.

Yes. It does.

If there's anything I can't stand about modern movie fandom, it's the obsession with trailers.

I couldn't care less what the trailers are like or what music they use.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Yeah, but that's very rare, I think because many composers likely don't work that far ahead, or can't. I mean, heck, there were two trailers out for Rogue One before they dumped Desplat from the picture.

@Skelly So the Jungle Book Bare Necessities thing kinda remains a mystery. Perhaps the similarity to Debney's film cue is completely coincidental. That Soundcloud version seems to be a synth mock-up. Was that used in the actual trailer?

I was looking over what else the Hit House did and it seems they did some stuff for the BFG marketing. 

None of that stuff made it into the trailers but maybe it was in the TV spots, I dunno. "Niner" says trailer so it must have been composed for one of the trailers but rejected, although maybe it made it into a TV spot later on.

On 9/28/2016 at 7:42 AM, Disco Stu said:

If there's anything I can't stand about modern movie fandom, it's the obsession with trailers.

I couldn't care less what the trailers are like or what music they use.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I don't generally care too much about trailers or trailer music. Focusing on the music in particular: I generally don't thing it's anything too special. For example, my only interesting in the BFG trailers were to A) increase my anticipation for the film and most importantly B) find out if there was any JW music. Overall I didn't think they were particularly memorable trailers, though. Ditto for the Fantastic Beasts trailers so far. 

But Star Wars tends to be different (and there are some other spectacular ones as well). Maybe it's simply because I'm a greater fan of SW than of any other film or franchise. Maybe it's because JW's themes are often used in the trailers. Maybe SW trailers are actually better than others. I don't know. A definite reason is that there's often the possibility that we'll hear new JW music. 

But there are not many combinations of music and picture so exhilarating as TFA teaser 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs). Or the end of the 60-second TV spot -- the beginning of course is great too since it was our first listen to JW's film score (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HN9soeGa8). Or the TFA theatrical trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE). It's still really a mystery how much of JW's work may have been used in those, if any (definitely none in the third). That mystery may be part of the allure. 

But a good trailer should make you want to shout with joy and pump your fist. Many SW trailer/TV spots have given me that kind of feeling. 

And I'll admit that sometimes, I really like SW trailer music, even if it's by a music house. For example, this is definitely by a music house, but I quite like it (it's an alternate for the theatrical trailer):

Perhaps there is a legitimate major difference of opinion, or perhaps you just haven't given trailers their fair shot. But I really couldn't disagree more with anyone completely dismissive of trailers.

1 hour ago, Will said:

@Skelly So the Jungle Book Bare Necessities thing kinda remains a mystery. Perhaps the similarity to Debney's film cue is completely coincidental. That Soundcloud version seems to be a synth mock-up. Was that used in the actual trailer?

Indeed it was. The Hit House doesn't use a real orchestra for any of its music as far as I know. Even a big name production music company like Brand X very rarely gets "real" instruments and has to work with samples 99% of the time.

I'm still scratching my head about the similarity as well. Maybe someone who owns the CD can check and see if any acknowledgement is given to the Hit House and its employees.

Also, I doubt HH composed those cues FOR The BFG. Disney probably just selected those two tracks from the Confidential catalog.

That YT thing you linked to is not an alternate - it just has the full opening (and I think some extra bells?). Ursine Vulpine wrote "In the Beginning" (the title of the arrangement) and sent it to trailer editor Joshua Dunn, and he lopped off that opening (Confidential wrote the piano part that opens the trailer).

3 minutes ago, Skelly said:

Indeed it was. The Hit House doesn't use a real orchestra for any of its music as far as I know. Even a big name production music company like Brand X very rarely gets "real" instruments and has to work with samples 99% of the time.

I'm still scratching my head head about the similarity as well. Maybe someone who owns the CD can check and see if any acknowledgement is given to the Hit House and its employees.

Also, I doubt Confidential composed those cues FOR The BFG. Disney probably just selected those two tracks from the Confidential catalog.

That YT thing you linked to is not an alternate - it just has the full opening. Ursine Vulpine wrote "In the Beginning" (the title of the arrangement) and sent it to trailer editor Joshua Dunn, and he lopped off that opening (Confidential wrote the piano part that opens the trailer).

Wow, you really know your trailer music! 

15 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

I liked the music in the third Dark Knight Rises trailer and was bummed it wasn't on the album.

It's pretty similar to the climb sequence, wasn't it?

Zimmer's teaser music for Interstellar is legendary.  If only every director had the musical sensibilities, and generous scheduling, of Nolan.  A musically accurate teaser is a wonderful thing. 

I believe that the Interstellar teaser used the music (or at least the theme) that Zimmer composed on day one of the scoring assignment. Nolan knew very early on what the film would be like musically. I don't know if many other directors have or care to have that luxury.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Not quite as similar as I remembered though.

Holy crap, what was the last trailer that was that good, that wasn't for a Nolan flick?!

3 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

It's pretty similar to the climb sequence, wasn't it?

Zimmer's teaser music for Interstellar is legendary.  If only every director had the musical sensibilities, and generous scheduling, of Nolan.  A musically accurate teaser is a wonderful thing. 

Brother, you want to keep that kind of talk limited to the Church!

3 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Not quite as similar as I remembered though.

Holy crap, what was the last trailer that was that good, that wasn't for a Nolan flick?!

That trailer was so good, it inspired a slew of YouTube mashup edits for other movies. Someone even used that music in a fanmade Godzilla trailer.

On 9/30/2016 at 8:54 PM, TheWhiteRider said:

Yeah, that one's great. 

On 9/30/2016 at 10:50 PM, TheWhiteRider said:

Well, this one was certainly better:

They were both outstanding. Its really great when trailers are scored with Williams own work.

If we are talking about trailers scored with the film's own original score, I think this is the one to beat, atleast one of them.

7 minutes ago, Will said:

What even is it that you consider "artful"?

When I was probably about your age, this is a trailer that made a huge impression on me.  Still one of my favorites.  But obviously selling a very different kind of movie than Star Wars.

38 minutes ago, Will said:

Well, I didn't watch a SW movie until summer 2015, and I don't think I saw that trailer until late summer. So at least in my case nostalgia is not really a factor.

What even is it that you consider "artful"?

For me, a good trailer needs to be emotionally powerful. The very best make me want to pump my fist and shout with joy. That SW trailer does just that. The Force theme over "This Christmas" is incredibly powerful, after the religioso stuff built the anticipation beautifully. Then Poe's "Wooahhhh!" while hurtling through the sky perfectly exemplifies the exhilaration felt by the trailer-watcher. Then the brass stabs sync so satisfyingly with explosions and other cool, but at that time mysterious, visuals. The big drums in between the brass hits, often derided as a "sweetener," work brilliantly here as well. All the big explosions and such deserve true epic-ness. Finally, the Yoda and the Force fanfare is heard as the Falcon soars on Jakku. And then Ford's final line, one of my favorite in the movies, followed by a timpani-pounding final blast. It's a sensory overload, almost, but a most welcome one. Makes my heart soar every time.

That trailer worked really well!