Which upcoming 2016 sci-fi / fantasy score are you most looking forward to hearing?

Jay

Which upcoming 2016 sci-fi / fantasy score are you most looking forward to hearing?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which upcoming 2016 sci-fi / fantasy score are you most looking forward to hearing?

• Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Mike Higham & Matthew Margeson (Sep 30)
    • Voyage of Time by Simon Franglen & Hanan Townshend (Oct 7)
    • Doctor Strange by Michael Giacchino (Nov 4)
    • Arrival by Jóhann Jóhannsson (Nov 11)
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by James Newton Howard (Nov 18)
    • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story by Michael Giacchino (Dec 16)
    • The Space Between Us by Andrew Lockington (Dec 16)
    • Passengers by Thomas Newman (Dec 21)

Me too, then Fantastic Beasts, then Rogue One.  I'll listen to all the others, but none of their composers have been consistent enough for me to get too excited before I've heard it.

Pity you can only choose one. I have 0 interest in Fantastic Beasts, but I'd have selected Doctor Strange as well as Rogue One if I could. I get the feeling Doctor Strange is probably going to be the better score for not being quite so rushed.

8 minutes ago, Gistech said:

I get the feeling Doctor Strange is probably going to be the better score for not being quite so rushed.

Absolutely the reason I'm looking forward to it more than Rogue One.  Well, one of the reasons.

I was looking forward to Desplat's Rogue One more than Doctor Strange, or anything else on the list for that matter.

Definitely Passengers.  It sounds like Newman will really get a chance to do "everything," and I'd expect he'll be given a lot of leeway since the writer said he wrote the screenplay while listening to past Newman scores.  I'm pretty excited for Voyage of Time and Rogue One, as well.

Of the titles given, some immediately cancel themselves for me -- ROGUE ONE & DR. STRANGE (for obvious reasons).

One title is difficult to pick, because I suspect minimal score music and more source/classical music -- VOYAGE OF TIME.

The rest could be reasonably fine, but ultimately it boils down to ARRIVAL and PASSENGERS, both of whom I look forward to very much. If I really had to pick between them, though, I guess I'd go for ARRIVAL (which is what I chose in the poll) -- if only because the idea of Johannsson and sci fi is so tantalizing (so is Newman and sci fi, but we "kinda" got a taste of that with WALL-E already). 

27 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Is Voyage of Time really scifi/fantasy?

Not really, its a documentary, but I felt it kinda fit in amongst the other poll options for discussion purposes.  It will still have space feel to it, I assume.

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Did anyone say sci fi/fantasy???

The thread title.

High hopes for Beasts, Passengers, and Arrival, looking forward to Doctor Strange (and Fernando Velazquez's A Monster Calls, which is another one you could add to the poll), cautiously optimistic about Rogue One. 

The others are not really on my radar (well, Voyage of Time is as a film but I'm indifferent toward the original score)

28 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Is Voyage of Time really scifi/fantasy?

I get what he meant by including it. Music that's in that realm of wondrous ideas and imagery.

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

I get what he meant by including it. Music that's in that realm of wondrous ideas and imagery.

Exactly.

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

Fernando Velazquez's A Monster Calls, which is another one you could add to the poll

I almost almost did, but the Quartet CD is already out, so its not really "upcoming".  Plus, its more horror than fantasy from what I understand.

On 9/26/2016 at 2:05 PM, Jay said:

I almost almost did, but the Quartet CD is already out, so its not really "upcoming".  Plus, its more horror than fantasy from what I understand.

On 9/26/2016 at 10:00 AM, Jay said:

Too bad Elfman couldn't have scored Miss Peregrine for Burton

He's not? That's a little disappointing. 

And I voted for Rogue One!

Arrival or Passengers.

I voted for the former, because I'm always wary of how invested he'll ultimately be, or whether he'll phone it in with his familiar textures. Johannson's project has me more curious.

The others, are more or less predictable. Fantastic Beasts being the safest bet for delivering the goods.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't think it has any more horror than others on the list. And the film is being released in early October. But yeah -- the soundtrack has been out for a while, so we know what we're getting, music-wise.

9 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I voted rogue one because I'm wondering what Giacchino will do with. There's already so much music in the franchise, so I'm wondering what will be added (or not). 

I don't think he'll add anything to franchise. Only mimic. 

9 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I voted rogue one because I'm wondering what Giacchino will do with. There's already so much music in the franchise, so I'm wondering what will be added (or not). 

3 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I don't think you'll add anything to the thread. Only mimic.

3 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Sorry, the forum crashed after I clicked post. I'm surprised it posted once never mind twice! 

The only ones I have an active interest in are Rogue One and Fantastic Beasts, and I suppose Doctor Strange because I've liked what Giacchino has done recently. A JNH fantasy score always has tons of potential, but modern JNH in general is hit and miss depending on whether he writes a melodic score or just droning underscore. So Rogue One is the one I'm most looking forward to.

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

JNH fantasy score always has tons of potential, but modern JNH in general is hit and miss depending on whether he writes a melodic score or just droning underscore. 

He never did for a fantasy score actually.

How good his Maleficent score is, is exactly why I'm excited (maybe cautiously optimistic is a better expression) for Fantastic Beasts.

Voyage of Time.

I like Newman and Jóhannsson and expect both of theirs to be good, and probably among the best of the year, but they may not be anything radically different from what we've heard from them before.  I'd enjoy being wrong about that.

JNH's will surely be great but the subject matter doesn't interest me, and a score that only works for me as music is always going to be less than it could be, obviously.

Giacchino in one case represents the latest step in the process of dumbing down what might have been a special film, and in the other case, the potential culprit in delivering a bland musical portrait of one of the few comic book characters I've enjoyed since youth.  I'll wait and see what he does with each before caring too much.

The other two options, I don't really know anything about.

I haven't ever cared for JNH's fantasy scores, TBH - or at least not any since maybe Lady in the Water.  So it's been a bit of a dry spell for the last ten years in that regard for me.  I want to be excited for a new Potter-verse score, and hopefully I'll be surprised.

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I haven't ever cared for JNH's fantasy scores, TBH - or at least not any since maybe Lady in the Water.  So it's been a bit of a dry spell for the last ten years in that regard for me.  I want to be excited for a new Potter-verse score, and hopefully I'll be surprised.

Since Lady in the Water, he has completely knocked it out of the park with fantasy scores. The Last Airbender, The Water Horse and Maleficent are perfection. Pure JNH fantasy brilliance. Also his two Snow White scores and Hunger Games series had some gorgeous moments and some of his strongest recent themes. Not sure whether you'd class I am Legend and Batman as fantasy, but they were great too.

I expect a mix of Kong's New York sound, the pure whimsy of Water Horse, and the fun, magical flare of Maleficent.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

What about Maleficent didn't do it for you?

The music

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Guess I have to revisit Maleficent, outside of a couple of standout tracks I remember it being really boring.

^^^^

3 hours ago, Jay said:

How good his Maleficent score is, is exactly why I'm excited (maybe cautiously optimistic is a better expression) for Fantastic Beasts.

The suite is great, but the rest of Maleficent (what's on the CD, never heard the rest) isn't really memorable for me.

MALEFICENT is excellent, as is a lot of the HUNGER GAMES music (the Silva compilation which was released earlier this year is basically one highlight after the other). I have the utmost confidence in JNH's music for this BEASTS film, although I'm more interested in the Johannsson and Newman.

• 2 months later...

Figured I'd bump up this thread before the final 3 scores on the poll are released

I'm cautiously optimistic for Rogue One and not really sure what to expect from Passengers, but will check it out on Spotify on Friday for sure